The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i dont understand why universities care about gcses

But Cambridge said they don't put as much emphasis on GCSE'S than on AS and A level predictions?

Problem is the government wants fewer doctors so entry to medical school is very limited and when it’s limited they only look for the very best of the very best and that means scrutinising GCSE results and if that’s not enough they will look at school reports from as far back as year 9.

15 years ago it was a diffrenent matter people were getting into Medical school with grade Cs at A,level. Back then they needed new doctors. Now sadly they don’t.

It’s all about how many medical graduates the NHS can afford to employ after graduation and that limits how many people get into medical school and nowadays it’s very limited. Over 99% of medical school graduates go on to become NHS doctors.
If Medicine was just like any other degree such as biology or chemistry then it would be easy to get in because graduates go in many different directions, teaching, engineering, research etc.

If you could put your hand on your heart and sign a disclaimer saying you want to get into medical school but have no intention whatsoever of becoming an NHS doctor and being a burden on the tax payer after graduation, then it wouldn’t be surprising if they let you in with lesser grades. After all universities want your money!
Original post by Ambitious1999
Problem is the government wants fewer doctors so entry to medical school is very limited and when it’s limited they only look for the very best of the very best and that means scrutinising GCSE results and if that’s not enough they will look at school reports from as far back as year 9.

15 years ago it was a diffrenent matter people were getting into Medical school with grade Cs at A,level. Back then they needed new doctors. Now sadly they don’t.

It’s all about how many medical graduates the NHS can afford to employ after graduation and that limits how many people get into medical school and nowadays it’s very limited. Over 99% of medical school graduates go on to become NHS doctors.
If Medicine was just like any other degree such as biology or chemistry then it would be easy to get in because graduates go in many different directions, teaching, engineering, research etc.

If you could put your hand on your heart and sign a disclaimer saying you want to get into medical school but have no intention whatsoever of becoming an NHS doctor and being a burden on the tax payer after graduation, then it wouldn’t be surprising if they let you in with lesser grades. After all universities want your money!

Actually, there's a shortage of doctors (especially GP's) that's why their increasing the places for Medicine by 1500.
Original post by GCSE 9
Actually, there's a shortage of doctors (especially GP's) that's why their increasing the places for Medicine by 1500.

What are your gcse grades? Where dud you apply?
I want to apply for med swell but my gcse are not up to standard
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by frostedstarzzz
what are your gcse grades? Where dud you apply?
I want to apply for med swell but my gcse are not up to standard

1a* 4a 4b 1c
Original post by GCSE 9
1a* 4a 4b 1c

They are good gcse! Got similar results as you
Original post by Ex-pert
Are you actually listening to him ?
dont let him destroy your dreams with a single comment

Let's face the harsh truth, he can get a shot at a medical school but he will be disadvantaged with those GCSEs that's for sure but still will have a decent chance to get in. Oxbridge I am afraid he will have an extremely slim chance of getting in, LOTS of applicants for Medicine at Oxbridge will have around 9 A*s I am not even joking, you can email Oxford yourself to find out.

Besides why would the OP want to apply to Oxbridge anyway? It's Medicine we are talking about, one of those subjects were it really doesn't matter where you have studied.
Original post by The RAR
Let's face the harsh truth, he can get a shot at a medical school but he will be disadvantaged with those GCSEs that's for sure but still will have a decent chance to get in. Oxbridge I am afraid he will have an extremely slim chance of getting in, LOTS of applicants for Medicine at Oxbridge will have around 9 A*s I am not even joking, you can email Oxford yourself to find out.

Besides why would the OP want to apply to Oxbridge anyway? It's Medicine we are talking about, one of those subjects were it really doesn't matter where you have studied.

I said that it doesn't matter, oxbridge or not Medicine in Medicine, I love Cambridge but If I don't get in and I got I got in at say Brighton, It's still medicine, everyone thinks I want to go to oxbridge ONLY, so we've cleared this up now :smile:
Original post by GCSE 9
I said that it doesn't matter, oxbridge or not Medicine in Medicine, I love Cambridge but If I don't get in and I got I got in at say Brighton, It's still medicine, everyone thinks I want to go to oxbridge ONLY, so we've cleared this up now :smile:

Wait, are you the OP in question?
Original post by The RAR
Wait, are you the OP in question?

Yep
Wow this thread is getting way too long :tongue:
Original post by RedGiant
So what sort of scores in said elements do you need then, if you have no A*s at GCSE?

I assume the interview and assessments must be more important, if the GCSEs are not. Realistically, who are they supposed to give offers out to if GCSEs cannot be any more important?

Ignore the GCSEs, they really aren't important for Cambridge. Having 12 A* at GCSE will not compensate for an otherwise weak (or even middling) application.

You can see what a Cambridge medicine interviewer is looking for in that thread I linked earlier.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GCSE 9
Yep

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh
Original post by GCSE 9

So where did you apply to?
Original post by VauxhallAndI1994
Again, I'll second this, what were your grades & which universities? I'm desperate to know about this!!

drop me a pm
Original post by GCSE 9
London is close to me and Imperial said that they don't have GCSE requirements anymore for Imperial and Barts puts emphasis on UKCAT and UCAS points 50:50, so in realtion to the other unis mentioned they do put weight on GCSES but less so.
I don't meet the GCSE requirement for sheffied.

Be wary of places that say they don't put emphasis on GCESs.

Imagine you are an admissions tutor. You will be sifting through at least 2500 applications. 2400 of which are likely to be high quality.

They will be selecting - say 1000 - for interview and eliminating 1500.

Most will have top A level grade predictions. Most will have a good PS and work experience. GCSEs give some level of indication. If it is a choice between 2 identical candidates - one with 10 GCSE A* and one with none and everything else is similar - who would you choose?
It's because medicine itself is very competitive, with my GCSE'S maybe a few people have got in (with any medical school) and Cambridge (very competitive) said that the lowest amount of A*'s someone got for Medicine was 2A* and last year 5 A*, I highly doubt I'd be abe to get in, my AS grades were strong (got over 95 UMS in the sciences and maths) but I only got 4A's for GCSE and the rest B's which I don't think is enough?

You got something similar to me. An 8, 3A and the rest Bs apart from geography(i got bored during the coursework and started to make python scripts that manipulate the computer).

I don't think that you have a large chance but you have no chance if you don't apply.
Original post by APPLICANT2016
Be wary of places that say they don't put emphasis on GCESs.

Imagine you are an admissions tutor. You will be sifting through at least 2500 applications. 2400 of which are likely to be high quality.

They will be selecting - say 1000 - for interview and eliminating 1500.

Most will have top A level grade predictions. Most will have a good PS and work experience. GCSEs give some level of indication. If it is a choice between 2 identical candidates - one with 10 GCSE A* and one with none and everything else is similar - who would you choose?

But people have gotten into medicine with A's and B's at GCSE'S ?
Original post by GCSE 9
But people have gotten into medicine with A's and B's at GCSE'S ?

Of course! You do not need 10 A*s in GCSEs. The only point I am making is that there are a lot of medical schools place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs and you should focus on schools where the position is clear.
Good luck!
Original post by APPLICANT2016
Of course! You do not need 10 A*s in GCSEs. The only point I am making is that there are a lot of medical schools place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs and you should focus on schools where the position is clear.
Good luck!

Thanks
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks

Rather than all these what-ifs, it would be easier if you just stated which universities you have actually applied to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending