The Student Room Group

PIP was declined. Is there anything else to help?

I am profoundly deaf. I’m 18 and receive DLA. I receive money to pay towards any help I need every month. My dad is also deaf and has a few health conditions that mildly affects his activities everyday. He received a letter today saying his PIP has not been renewed. My dad lost his job 9 years ago and has to find jobs round our area. He is currently not working as no one will hire him due to his deafness and health issues. My mum works full time and my dad stays home with us kids (there’s 5 of us). I have a part time job but it’s not enough to help our family. He has no money and doesn’t like relying on me and my mum to pay for something he needs. We are currently struggling with money so is there anyway he could claim his PIP/DLA back. My mum also loses the benefit she gets as my dad is disabled

Any help appreciated

Thank you
Reply 1
Hi honor532,

Have you gone to your local CAB office? There's also lots of info on their website about claming PIP and also what you can do to try to claim it back. What part of the UK do you live in? Here's some info if you live in England (the law differs depending if you live in England, Wales, Scotland or N. Ireland).

Here's the link for CAB on benefits in general (help on low income, sick or disabled people and carers, children and young people) https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/.

Here's the info on PIP including challenging a PIP decision. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/.

This is assuming you live in England. If you live in the other parts of the UK, you can easily click to go to the citizens advice home page and on the left side, there's a small arrow saying England, which you can click on and change to where you live.

I hope this helps. I hope you get the benefits you and your family are entitled to.

Best wishes.
Reply 2
Original post by poem1
Hi honor532,

Have you gone to your local CAB office? There's also lots of info on their website about claming PIP and also what you can do to try to claim it back. What part of the UK do you live in? Here's some info if you live in England (the law differs depending if you live in England, Wales, Scotland or N. Ireland).

Here's the link for CAB on benefits in general (help on low income, sick or disabled people and carers, children and young people) https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/.

Here's the info on PIP including challenging a PIP decision. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/.

This is assuming you live in England. If you live in the other parts of the UK, you can easily click to go to the citizens advice home page and on the left side, there's a small arrow saying England, which you can click on and change to where you live.

I hope this helps. I hope you get the benefits you and your family are entitled to.

Best wishes.

Hiya. Thanks for replying. I live in Northern Ireland
Reply 3
Ok, sorry I assumed you lived in England.

It may be the same but here are the pages on the CAB website for benefits in Northern Ireland: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/.

And the PIP info page: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/nireland/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/personal-independence-payment-ni/.
Original post by honor532
I am profoundly deaf. I’m 18 and receive DLA. I receive money to pay towards any help I need every month. My dad is also deaf and has a few health conditions that mildly affects his activities everyday. He received a letter today saying his PIP has not been renewed. My dad lost his job 9 years ago and has to find jobs round our area. He is currently not working as no one will hire him due to his deafness and health issues. My mum works full time and my dad stays home with us kids (there’s 5 of us). I have a part time job but it’s not enough to help our family. He has no money and doesn’t like relying on me and my mum to pay for something he needs. We are currently struggling with money so is there anyway he could claim his PIP/DLA back. My mum also loses the benefit she gets as my dad is disabled

Any help appreciated

Thank you

You have to remember that the criteria for PIP isn't the same as DLA. Your dad has 28 days from the date on the letter to get the decision looked at again. Has he gone through the criteria to see where he'd score points? He needs 8 for standard and 12 for enhanced.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
You have to remember that the criteria for PIP isn't the same as DLA. Your dad has 28 days from the date on the letter to get the decision looked at again. Has he gone through the criteria to see where he'd score points? He needs 8 for standard and 12 for enhanced.

He has 4 points currently. How can he get the decision looked at again?
why was it not renewed
Reply 7
Original post by study beats
why was it not renewed

No idea. He had the meeting around a month ago and received the letter today saying it was declined.
He has 4 points currently. How can he get the decision looked at again?

He needs to ask for a copy of the report by calling the number on the letter. He needs to write to the address on the letter stating why he believes he meets the criteria.
Reply 9
You can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration - as Tiger Rag said he has 28 days from the date of the letter stating he didn't get it. If that fails (most MRs do), he can appeal to HMCTS (Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunal Service) for a first tier tribunal. They are independent from the DWP and have a much higher success rate than MRs do. I would suggest getting help from CAB or another charity to make sure you get the MR letter written correctly. I would also suggest that phoning the DWP to tell them you want to do an MR is a good idea, and say you're going to be writing a letter as well.

Also, he could potentially apply for Employment and Support Allowance as he is unable to work due to his health.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Pathway
You can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration - as Tiger Rag said he has 28 days from the date of the letter stating he didn't get it. If that fails (most MRs do), he can appeal to HMCTS (Her Majesty's Crown Tribunal Service) for a first tier tribunal. They are independent from the DWP and have a much higher success rate than MRs do. I would suggest getting help from CAB or another charity to make sure you get the MR letter written correctly. I would also suggest that phoning the DWP to tell them you want to do an MR is a good idea, and say you're going to be writing a letter as well.

Also, he could potentially apply for Employment and Support Allowance as he is unable to work due to his health.

That’s great thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by Tiger Rag
He needs to ask for a copy of the report by calling the number on the letter. He needs to write to the address on the letter stating why he believes he meets the criteria.

He was told he will get one but hasn’t received it. He may phone up about it
He was told he will get one but hasn’t received it. He may phone up about it

It can take a few weeks to turn up. Meanwhile, he does need to start gathering evidence about his needs.
Has your Dad applied for Employment Support Allowance (ESA). I think it's considered the equivalent of Jobseekers Allowance for those too ill to work.
Here's a link for info in NI:
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/employment-and-support-allowance

Quick Reply

Latest