The Student Room Group

Y10/11/12/13 - Make Some New Friends!

heyyy - i’ve decided to make a new thread so that people can make some more friends! you don’t just have to be in the years/age groups i have listed but i’ve used this as a guideline!

i’ve noticed that there are lots of friendly people on here and sometimes people can trail off a bit and start chatting - even though their thread is a GYG or a question or something and i thought it might be nice to make one especially for making friends and sharing interests etc.

i hope it’s useful! you can also ask for advice here, but bear in mind it might be easier to ask on a thread of your own (it depends really)

there’s probably something like this already out there but i haven’t seen anything so welcome!

if you want you can check out my GYG while you’re here - i haven’t made any other threads yet but perhaps soon!!! i’m fairly new to this all...

i’m excited to see what this becomes; anya :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clouddbubbles
heyyy - i’ve decided to make a new thread so that people can make some more friends! you don’t just have to be in the years/age groups i have listed but i’ve used this as a guideline!

i’ve noticed that there are lots of friendly people on here and sometimes people can trail off a bit and start chatting - even though their thread is a GYG or a question or something and i thought it might be nice to make one especially for making friends and sharing interests etc.

i hope it’s useful! you can also ask for advice here, but bear in mind it might be easier to ask on a thread of your own (it depends really)

there’s probably something like this already out there but i haven’t seen anything so welcome!

if you want you can check out my GYG while you’re here - i haven’t made any other threads yet but perhaps soon!!! i’m fairly new to this all...

i’m excited to see what this becomes; anya :smile:

Hey cloudbubbles!
I'm TOASTIEKID, in year 11 (yay) and I like playing tennis and guitar, also play piano (but I don't practise enough) I also love food, most my life revolves around food: my mood, where I'm going etc, all decided by food.:biggrin:
What music do you like? I'm really into rock/ alternative music like the killers, blink-182 and Bastille though I'm still a sucker for the script and the vamps (seeing them both next year!!!)
Hope you're having a nice break (if you have half term this week!)
TOASTIEKID x
Original post by Toastiekid
Hey cloudbubbles!
I'm TOASTIEKID, in year 11 (yay) and I like playing tennis and guitar, also play piano (but I don't practise enough) I also love food, most my life revolves around food: my mood, where I'm going etc, all decided by food.:biggrin:
What music do you like? I'm really into rock/ alternative music like the killers, blink-182 and Bastille though I'm still a sucker for the script and the vamps (seeing them both next year!!!)
Hope you're having a nice break (if you have half term this week!)
TOASTIEKID x

hey toastiekid!

i’m in year 10 :smile:
i do swimming, skiing and martial arts and i play violin and piano - and i definitely love food too!

my favourite band is probably twenty one pilots but at the moment (idk why) my favourite song is Mr Brightside!!! 😉

what brought you to tsr??
hey toastiekid!

i’m in year 10 :smile:
i do swimming, skiing and martial arts and i play violin and piano - and i definitely love food too!

my favourite band is probably twenty one pilots but at the moment (idk why) my favourite song is Mr Brightside!!! 😉

what brought you to tsr??

WOW I love Mr Brightside, I’m learning it on guitar in a few weeks and I can’t wait! I used to be really into twenty one pilots (I knew most the words to ride 😂)
I came on TSR for revision tips and it’s definitely helped, pre tsr I used to get 4-6s (tho I was targeted much higher) now I’ve improved my revision technique a lot and definitely increased my grades! Why did you join TSR?
WOW I love Mr Brightside, I’m learning it on guitar in a few weeks and I can’t wait! I used to be really into twenty one pilots (I knew most the words to ride 😂)
I came on TSR for revision tips and it’s definitely helped, pre tsr I used to get 4-6s (tho I was targeted much higher) now I’ve improved my revision technique a lot and definitely increased my grades! Why did you join TSR?

woo yay we have a similar taste in music then!
ive just been struggling loads with confidence and even though i’m predicted high grades and always have been, i needed somewhere that could motivate me and hopefully i can ensure that i do achieve those 9’s etc.

so hopefully i too will improve my grades and revision techniques! :smile:
maybe someone new would like to join the conversation...

don’t be shy guys! 😉
maybe someone new would like to join the conversation...

don’t be shy guys! 😉

Heyy👋 current year 11 (slightly nervous!) Struggling to motivate myself at the moment. I was supposed to be doing homework but then I started procrastinating and now I’m here! What books are u guys doing for English?
Original post by Megamax
Heyy👋 current year 11 (slightly nervous!) Struggling to motivate myself at the moment. I was supposed to be doing homework but then I started procrastinating and now I’m here! What books are u guys doing for English?

i guess we’re kind of similar then except i’m in year 10 and struggling with motivation! don’t be nervous - i’m sure you’ll be fine :smile:

i’m procrastinating too! i was trying to have a study day but now i’m on my phone soooo🤔

for english i’m doing frankenstein as my 19th century text but that’s all i’ve studied so far so i’m not sure about the others... wbu?
Original post by Megamax

I’m doing Macbeth, pigeon English and Frankenstein. With power and conflict poetry (all AQA) I happen to be supposed to be doing English notes right now ew but I’m also procrastinating (and eating kinder bars)
i guess we’re kind of similar then except i’m in year 10 and struggling with motivation! don’t be nervous - i’m sure you’ll be fine :smile:

i’m procrastinating too! i was trying to have a study day but now i’m on my phone soooo🤔

for english i’m doing frankenstein as my 19th century text but that’s all i’ve studied so far so i’m not sure about the others... wbu?

I’m doing Macbeth, pigeon English and Frankenstein. With power and conflict poetry (all AQA) I happen to be supposed to be doing English notes right now ew but I’m also procrastinating (and eating kinder bars)

Kinder bars❤️ I’m doing Macbeth, Jekyll nd Hyde and Inspector calls with love and relationships. Ugh the amount of homework I still have to do is beyond imaginable. Do you have any plans for uni or work yet?
Original post by Megamax
Kinder bars❤️ I’m doing Macbeth, Jekyll nd Hyde and Inspector calls with love and relationships. Ugh the amount of homework I still have to do is beyond imaginable. Do you have any plans for uni or work yet?

Sorry for jumping in!!!
I've done all my homework but still have a lot of revision to do!
It's so hard.
I presume your in year 11. Have u started revision for GCSEs ?
Original post by AidenAdam-11
Sorry for jumping in!!!
I've done all my homework but still have a lot of revision to do!
It's so hard.
I presume your in year 11. Have u started revision for GCSEs ?

Yep I’m in year 11. I haven’t started revising yet (I’m not even organised enough to do my homework). I guess you’re in yr11 as well then. When are your mocks? Mine aren’t till January so I think I’ll start revising in the Christmas hols. How’s school going in general for you?
Original post by Megamax
Yep I’m in year 11. I haven’t started revising yet (I’m not even organised enough to do my homework). I guess you’re in yr11 as well then. When are your mocks? Mine aren’t till January so I think I’ll start revising in the Christmas hols. How’s school going in general for you?

I have no ideas for my mocks, we have a maths exam every 3 weeks. I generally am (gratefully) doing good but the thing that holds me back is my sister: she did not do good in GCSE's which stresses me out for some reason...it makes me think she won't become anything in life!
I have no ideas for my mocks, we have a maths exam every 3 weeks. I generally am (gratefully) doing good but the thing that holds me back is my sister: she did not do good in GCSE's which stresses me out for some reason...it makes me think she won't become anything in life!

Thats good that you’re doing well☺️ I’m sure your sister will go on to do something that makes her happy, maybe she doesn’t want to pursue an academic route? There are plenty of other options👍 are GCSEs important to you, as in do you plan on getting 7s, 8s and 9s?
Original post by Megamax
Thats good that you’re doing well☺️ I’m sure your sister will go on to do something that makes her happy, maybe she doesn’t want to pursue an academic route? There are plenty of other options👍 are GCSEs important to you, as in do you plan on getting 7s, 8s and 9s?

Well I am hoping to get 6/7s as they are my predictions.
To you and everyone else reading..do your GCSEs actually affect your life, does failing them mean the end to everything. Yes I understand they have an impact on top unis and type of courses but I'm show it does not affect as much as people think it does.
heyyyyyyyyy everyone im in y10 and cannot believe how flipping fast half term has gone!
Well I am hoping to get 6/7s as they are my predictions.
To you and everyone else reading..do your GCSEs actually affect your life, does failing them mean the end to everything. Yes I understand they have an impact on top unis and type of courses but I'm show it does not affect as much as people think it does.

That’s quite a tough question. GCSEs are very important to me and my family (I have eight 9 predictions, one 8 and one 7 so there’s a fair amount of parental and self pressure) and the better the grades I have the more insurance I have for uni as we no longer do AS and the courses I’m looking at (med) require v good grades. However as you say it’s definitely not the end of the world if I wasn’t to get ‘good’ grades. they don’t mean everything and for most people (uni and course depending) they really don’t mean that much or have a massive impact. What’s your opinion? Sorry for the mini essay😂
Original post by Megamax
That’s quite a tough question. GCSEs are very important to me and my family (I have eight 9 predictions, one 8 and one 7 so there’s a fair amount of parental and self pressure) and the better the grades I have the more insurance I have for uni as we no longer do AS and the courses I’m looking at (med) require v good grades. However as you say it’s definitely not the end of the world if I wasn’t to get ‘good’ grades. they don’t mean everything and for most people (uni and course depending) they really don’t mean that much or have a massive impact. What’s your opinion? Sorry for the mini essay😂

Haha lol it's okay.
My opinion, If you aspire to become a doctor or whatever then yes GCSEs is a build up but if you fail it's not the end of the world. It entirely depends on your determination. People enrol at colleges at the age of 22+ so it's ok.
There is hope for everyone.
I do hope you get all your predicted grades.
Original post by Megamax

Yeah I have so much homework! Macbeth is legendary just been revising it (mock on Monday!)
I am struggling to decide what to do in the future, I’ve applied for completely different courses at each sixth form I’ve applied to as I have no clear idea! Wbu? X
Original post by Slayingrobin
Im a year 10 and i am doing DNA, macbeth and dr jekyll and mr hyde

yeah, i’m doing frankenstein, romeo and juliet and an inspector calls

Quick Reply

Latest