The Student Room Group

Clearing/Adjustment (I need help please...)

Hey, I'm currently in A2 doing maths economics psychology.
I've always been a pretty bright kid but last year, I faced alot of issues , mentally and physically which really ruined my school year. I ended up with a ABE prediction. (A in maths, B in psy, E in econ). Now, all my classmates have applied for universities etc but I didn't because I thought i'd take a gap year to travel etc. Now coming to realise, I really want to go university but with an E in Econ, and wanting to possibly study econ at uni, I don't think ill get any offers aha. I either want to study "Maths and Philosophy", "Economics" or "Accounting and Finance". So my friend told me there's still hope, something called clearing/adjustment. This is apparently when I call up a uni after getting my real grades and ask if there's any spots?

I geniunely believe, I can get AAB (at the minimum) B being in Psychology, A maths, A economics. Most likely I believe I'll get is A*AB , A* being at maths.

So what do you guys think I should do? Also could someone explain clearly what is clearing and adjustment? Do I need a personal statement? UCAS Application? Because I haven't done anything. I really need help. Thank you for reading.
Reply 1
Original post by justalostboy
I've always been a pretty bright kid but last year, I faced alot of issues , mentally and physically which really ruined my school year. I ended up with a ABE prediction. (A in maths, B in psy, E in econ). Now, all my classmates have applied for universities etc but I didn't because I thought i'd take a gap year to travel etc. Now coming to realise, I really want to go university but with an E in Econ, and wanting to possibly study econ at uni, I don't think ill get any offers aha. I either want to study "Maths and Philosophy", "Economics" or "Accounting and Finance". So my friend told me there's still hope, something called clearing/adjustment. This is apparently when I call up a uni after getting my real grades and ask if there's any spots?

I geniunely believe, I can get AAB (at the minimum) B being in Psychology, A maths, A economics. Most likely I believe I'll get is A*AB , A* being at maths.

So what do you guys think I should do? Also could someone explain clearly what is clearing and adjustment? Do I need a personal statement? UCAS Application? Because I haven't done anything. I really need help. Thank you for reading.

I think you should still apply to uni’s now. Because some uni’s may look at your personal statement and still be happy with you, regardless of your predictions.. it’s worth a shot and you can mention in your ps that you’re determined etc
Then even if you don’t get any offers don’t worry because when you get your results, depending on what they are, hopefully better than expected, that’s when you call uni’s that would accept those grades and see if they have space to take you in, this is adjustment. But if you happen to do worse than expected then you call uni’s that have clearing and see if they take you and have the course you want.

Apply anyway, as you need a full UCAS form anyway.
Clearing= you have no offers, and want one of the remaining places at that Uni, centralised system, run though UCAS, requires a Clearing number from your UCAS form
Adjustment: You have exceeded your CF ( Conditional Firm) and want to go somewhere else, 5 day period, harder to find vacancies
Original post by r.ak
I think you should still apply to uni’s now. Because some uni’s may look at your personal statement and still be happy with you, regardless of your predictions.. it’s worth a shot and you can mention in your ps that you’re determined etc
Then even if you don’t get any offers don’t worry because when you get your results, depending on what they are, hopefully better than expected, that’s when you call uni’s that would accept those grades and see if they have space to take you in, this is adjustment. But if you happen to do worse than expected then you call uni’s that have clearing and see if they take you and have the course you want.

So I have to rely on other people not getting grades for the course to get in. Also, I'll start writing a statement. What do unis ask when I call them up? Would they want a personal statement?
So I have to rely on other people not getting grades for the course to get in. Also, I'll start writing a statement. What do unis ask when I call them up? Would they want a personal statement?

Yes, a PS is part of a complete form, which is needed for a Clearing number to be issued.
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Apply anyway, as you need a full UCAS form anyway.
Clearing= you have no offers, and want one of the remaining places at that Uni, centralised system, run though UCAS, requires a Clearing number from your UCAS form
Adjustment: You have exceeded your CF ( Conditional Firm) and want to go somewhere else, 5 day period, harder to find vacancies

So when you say 5 day period, you mean 5 minutes? I should have unis on speed dial, as soon as I get the results? Do they require a UCAS Application?
So when you say 5 day period, you mean 5 minutes? I should have unis on speed dial, as soon as I get the results? Do they require a UCAS Application?

you have 5 days from A-level results day, and they need a application, but you need to exceed an offer first, so apply. Clearing's also a possibility though
Reply 7

I believe you do need a personal statement to apply for clearing, because it says it’s available to anyone who has made a UCAS Undergraduate application and doesn’t hold any offers. And a personal Statement is part of the form

www.ucas/connect/blogs/clearing-what-you-need-know
you have 5 days from A-level results day, and they need a application, but you need to exceed an offer first, so apply. Clearing's also a possibility though

So I should apply for economics at X university, get denied because my grade is lower than the requirement. Then call them up after I get my grades? And I have to get grades higher than the requirements?
(edited 6 years ago)
So I should apply for economics at X university, get denied because my grade is lower than the requirement. Then call them up after I get my grades? And I have to get grades higher than the requirements?

That's clearing
That's clearing

Sorry, a little confused. Right now, my grades are too low to meet the entry requirements for the courses I want to do. However, I can get way better grades in my real exams. After I do, I'm going to ring up unis to ask if they have spaces for the courses I want to do. Thats clearing?
Sorry, a little confused. Right now, my grades are too low to meet the entry requirements for the courses I want to do. However, I can get way better grades in my real exams. After I do, I'm going to ring up unis to ask if they have spaces for the courses I want to do. Thats clearing?

Yes, or adjustment if you have an offer
Yes, or adjustment if you have an offer

So now there's a confusion. I thought clearing is when you go for unis below your offers since you didnt meet the requirements and adjustment is when you apply for unis with better courses, cos you excelled your offer.

I don't meet either because I don't have any offers in the first place..
So now there's a confusion. I thought clearing is when you go for unis below your offers since you didnt meet the requirements and adjustment is when you apply for unis with better courses, cos you excelled your offer.

That's right, but you can upgrade in clearing if you decline all offers ( probably), but you're basically right
Reply 14

Clearing is for anyone who does not have a university place on results day. This is usually because they received an offer but then didn't get good enough grades to meet the offer, but it could also be because they didn't get any offers or because they changed their mind and didn't like the offers they got. But the important point is that if someone is in Clearing, they do not have a university place to take up unless they are successful with their Clearing application.

For Adjustment, you need to have got an offer and then accepted that offer, but then get good A Level results so end up meeting and exceeding that offer. So you might have received an offer of BBB, but you get ABB. You can then apply through Adjustment to see if you can find a different university that will accept you. You only have 5 days to do this. If you aren't successful with an Adjustment application, you still have the original offer so can take up that place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending