The Student Room Group

Mosquito bites

Right, so this started on Sunday and it was the first time. I looked in the mirror and I saw small bite near my chin then I went for a shower so I just though the bite would disappear. Luckily it did, then the same day I got a couple more bites ONLY on my face nowhere else on my body. Bear in mind I had a cold so I was all wrapped up, therefore body heat may have attracted them. Then I got few small bites again on my face on Monday, then on Tuesday my mum sprayed the room and cleaned it. So it was perfectly fine and the bites were going away. Then today when I was sitting on the floor doing my artwork because it's a pretty big piece and there is no space to hang it, I saw my face and I had two bites, so I washed my face and the bites went, then I got two more so I applied insect repellent and opened the window so fresh air could come. The problem is that i want to have a shower again, so I don't transfer whatever it is that is biting me anywhere else, so no-one else gets it, but I think I am coming up with a cold and I just caught one last week. I dont know what the hell is biting my face, but it seems to be only me. And it's really annoying because I have never experienced a thing, where I am constantly getting bitten.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Are you sure its mosquitio bits or bites of some other sort
Reply 3
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Right, so this started on Sunday and it was the first time. I looked in the mirror and I saw small bite near my chin then I went for a shower so I just though the bite would disappear. Luckily it did, then the same day I got a couple more bites ONLY on my face nowhere else on my body. Bear in mind I had a cold so I was all wrapped up, therefore body heat may have attracted them. Then I got few small bites again on my face on Monday, then on Tuesday my mum sprayed the room and cleaned it. So it was perfectly fine and the bites were going away. Then today when I was sitting on the floor doing my artwork because it's a pretty big piece and there is no space to hang it, I saw my face and I had two bites, so I washed my face and the bites went, then I got two more so I applied insect repellent and opened the window so fresh air could come. The problem is that i want to have a shower again, so I don't transfer whatever it is that is biting me anywhere else, so no-one else gets it, but I think I am coming up with a cold and I just caught one last week. I dont know what the hell is biting my face, but it seems to be only me. And it's really annoying because I have never experienced a thing, where I am constantly getting bitten.

I would expect it's fleas or bed bugs munching on you.
Try washing your bedding, blankets etc. Maybe cleaning the carpet or whatever you were leaning on when you were on the floor. Make sure any pets you have have been flea treated and are not scratching themselves.
No harm in keeping on showering or washing your face too. You could also try creams or gels like aloe vera.
Original post by Kindred
I would expect it's fleas or bed bugs munching on you.
Try washing your bedding, blankets etc. Maybe cleaning the carpet or whatever you were leaning on when you were on the floor. Make sure any pets you have have been flea treated and are not scratching themselves.
No harm in keeping on showering or washing your face too. You could also try creams or gels like aloe vera.

Thanks, I don't have any pets. I have a shower everyday and all the sheets have been washed and cleaned. I have tried aloe Vera but it doesn't seem to help with the insects, because they still bite.
Original post by Ex-pert
Are you sure its mosquitio bits or bites of some other sort

My mum said it's mosquito bites, I can't see them but when I do get it, it's like small round bumps and it's red, but it fades away afterwards.
My mum said it's mosquito bites, I can't see them but when I do get it, it's like small round bumps and it's red, but it fades away afterwards.

If the bites are irritating and scratchy
on your face arms or legs
its probably mosquito bites

I know since i went to kenya for holiday
Original post by Ex-pert
If the bites are irritating and scratchy
on your face arms or legs
its probably mosquito bites

I know since i went to kenya for holiday

It's just a bit scratchy and irritating but only for a few minutes, and it's ONLY on the face, not on my body, which is absurd.
Reply 8
Thanks, I don't have any pets. I have a shower everyday and all the sheets have been washed and cleaned. I have tried aloe Vera but it doesn't seem to help with the insects, because they still bite.

Aloe vera won't stop bugs biting. It's to soothe bites.
If you want to try to stop them biting try insect repellent (you can get it online, in camping shops or in boots), keeping your window closed or putting up a net on your window.
Since they are only biting you it seems it's probably your room they're getting you in. That or you're just more tasty than the rest of your family.
Original post by Kindred
Aloe vera won't stop bugs biting. It's to soothe bites.
If you want to try to stop them biting try insect repellent (you can get it online, in camping shops or in boots), keeping your window closed or putting up a net on your window.
Since they are only biting you it seems it's probably your room they're getting you in. That or you're just more tasty than the rest of your family.

I've put insect repellent on and it's working, the thing is that I was working in my mums room and it bit me, not her. So it's probably because they find my blood sweet because I am eating too much Nutella.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've put insect repellent on and it's working, the thing is that I was working in my mums room and it bit me, not her. So it's probably because they find my blood sweet because I am eating too much Nutella.

Nothing can resist the wonderful taste of nutella!
Original post by Kindred
Nothing can resist the wonderful taste of nutella!

I just wish they would stop.
Reply 12

1. We live in England
2. It's almost winter

Spoiler

Original post by ANM775
1. We live in England
2. It's almost winter

Spoiler

I know, that's the thing that's bothering me. It's nearly Winter, so how the hell i'm I getting bites from mosquitos. It's not even hot.
Reply 14
I know, that's the thing that's bothering me. It's nearly Winter, so how the hell i'm I getting bites from mosquitos. It's not even hot.

We do not get much of them in this country

I don't think they're going to be around at almost winter, also you and your mother haven't even seen one, something unknown is just biting you in your sleep.

have you considered bedbugs/knats?
Original post by ANM775
We do not get much of them in this country

I don't think they're going to be around at almost winter, also you and your mother haven't even seen one, something unknown is just biting you in your sleep.

have you considered bedbugs/knats?

It's not bed bugs that's for sure, because it's not on my body only face when I am awake.
Reply 16
It's not bed bugs that's for sure, because it's not on my body only face when I am awake.

bed bugs only bite on your body? are you sure?

Something is definitely biting you it seems, and as you cannot be sure what it is ..
I suggest you hoover up everywhere so the room is very clean, make sure you get all the lint as some creatures will live off that.

then empty the vacuum cleaner incase any eggs you pick up hatch and try and crawl back out...

also buy a decent insect spray and empty a large amount of it into a room, taking care not to miss under the bed etc

clean the window sill of any mould as some insects can live/breed off that [usually small beetles]

come back about 3 to 5 hours later when the smell has gone.

don't open the window....

and go then go to bed.....,
and if you're still getting bitten 5 weeks later then you've probably got some serious type of infestation that you can't get rid of and you should consider calling in the professionals
Reply 17
Are you sure it's not some kind of allergic reaction. They can come and go quite quickly. Bites usually don't.
Original post by nutz99
Are you sure it's not some kind of allergic reaction. They can come and go quite quickly. Bites usually don't.

I'm not allergic to anything though.
Original post by ANM775
bed bugs only bite on your body? are you sure?

Something is definitely biting you it seems, and as you cannot be sure what it is ..
I suggest you hoover up everywhere so the room is very clean, make sure you get all the lint as some creatures will live off that.

then empty the vacuum cleaner incase any eggs you pick up hatch and try and crawl back out...

also buy a decent insect spray and empty a large amount of it into a room, taking care not to miss under the bed etc

clean the window sill of any mould as some insects can live/breed off that [usually small beetles]

come back about 3 to 5 hours later when the smell has gone.

don't open the window....

and go then go to bed.....,
and if you're still getting bitten 5 weeks later then you've probably got some serious type of infestation that you can't get rid of and you should consider calling in the professionals

Okay, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending