The Student Room Group

Understanding the way exams work

I don't know much about GCSEs or other exams from the school's curriculum nor how these work, could anyone explain everything to me? including A levels etc. Im currently year 10
It's all in here. Haven't you seen this video before? It explains how the whole system works- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvYfRiJQIX8
You get taught the content, get your exam timetable around March, sit your exams in the summer, get your results in August then either do A-Levels or other education. If you do A-Levels, then you finalise your options on results day, you learn the content, get your exam timetable around the same time, sit your exams, get your results in August and either go to uni or another pathway.
Original post by DrawTheLine
You get taught the content, get your exam timetable around March, sit your exams in the summer, get your results in August then either do A-Levels or other education. If you do A-Levels, then you finalise your options on results day, you learn the content, get your exam timetable around the same time, sit your exams, get your results in August and either go to uni or another pathway.

I think I got it, thanks a lot
I was joking before, but seriously:

At the end of year 11 you will be assessed on all the subjects which you are currently studying, through examination. These are your GCSE exams. These results determine whether you will be accepted into any school to do your A-Levels.

A-Levels are what you study over the course of 2 years- year 12 and 13. In year 12, you first select the subjects you want to study which will lead to the course you want to study at university and have AS Examinations at the end of the year which give you predicted grades for the Final Year 13 Exam,(A2 Exams), the 2 because it's your second year doing the course. Universities offer you a place looking at whether your predicted grades for A2 are good enough, and universities may give you an offer, e.g if you obtain grades AAA in your A2 exams then they will accept you for your selected course at university.

Then in year 13, everything leads up to your final A2 Exams for the subjects you'd wished to study at the start of A-Levels. Your result here will determine whether you will go to university or not, and also for what course.
Original post by Ryuukitteru645
I think I got it, thanks a lot

Your school will guide you all through it.
I got it, do you think there could be a way to finish year school one year faster (before uni), for example if i study everything i need to know for year 10 and at the same time learn about everything i need to know in year 11, could i take an exam that will demonstrate if im good enough to skip year 11/finish it faster?
Original post by Ryuukitteru645
I got it, do you think there could be a way to finish year school one year faster (before uni), for example if i study everything i need to know for year 10 and at the same time learn about everything i need to know in year 11, could i take an exam that will demonstrate if im good enough to skip year 11/finish it faster?

you could finish everything a year early, as some people do take gcses/a levels early, but i think you can only go to uni when your 18? but im not quite sure.

Quick Reply

Latest