The Student Room Group

what was the english gcse q5 picture on

english language both papers im sitting my mocks and my teacher said to reviseold gcse papers but there are none for the new spec exept for the 2017 exams but i cant find them onlne
Original post by Jainilpatel
english language both papers im sitting my mocks and my teacher said to reviseold gcse papers but there are none for the new spec exept for the 2017 exams but i cant find them onlne

There isn't any so we use pixel to see practise questions. I have recently done my English language papers 1 day ago and the question was a picture of a bus and you have to write a short story
Practise the skills necessary that allow you to approach any given picture, as far as I'm aware Mr. Salles, Ba (Hons), has a method to "cheat" this particular question which is available on his channel, similar techniques are taught by Mr Bruff, Ba (Hons), as well.
Reply 3
Original post by megan-ginley
There isn't any so we use pixel to see practise questions. I have recently done my English language papers 1 day ago and the question was a picture of a bus and you have to write a short story

yeah apperently there is a man looking out of the bus but do you also get an option for descriptive writing
Original post by Jainilpatel
yeah apperently there is a man looking out of the bus but do you also get an option for descriptive writing

Yes, you pick between a picture and a story
Reply 5
They have had various pictures in the samples and exams:

Man over looking a large river like the Mississippi
Light house in a storm
Music Festival
Man standing in a cave.

In paper 1 question 5 it's a descriptive piece or a story inspired by the picture.
Reply 6
Original post by Purdy7
They have had various pictures in the samples and exams:

Man over looking a large river like the Mississippi
Light house in a storm
Music Festival
Man standing in a cave.

ok and can you help me out in question 2 as how the red haired girl is introduced and the question 3 dont write me the whole thing but like points which will help me as im only a grade 5
Reply 7
Question 2 is about technical devices - ie the use of verbs, adverbs, adjectives, similies, metaphors, repetition, etc in the piece, and why it is used - what is the inferred meaning, why is the writer using those exact works/phrases to influence the reader and how does it make them feel. Think China Shrimp Mash Corn

Question 3 is about structure - sentence length, the cycle of the piece (looped, linear), paragraph lengths, how the text appears to the reader and how that influences them. Does it reflect the mood of the character, how are the introduced, is it shocking, what is the inferred meaning.

You'll need to quote, analyse and explain, bring it back to how it makes the reader feel Definitely use discourse markers (different words to start sentences).

The best person I watched was Mr Bruff on You Tube, I also got his downloadable book for £4, I think there is another called Mr Salles which is mentioned in another thread.

The exam marking scheme is based on a pyramid, to get the higher marks you must show you have the lower level stuff ticked, so make sure you write in paragraphs, check your spellings, use different types and lengths sentences etc. There is a skills list/criteria that needs to be ticked for each grade which your teacher maybe able to give you.
Reply 8
Original post by Purdy7
Question 2 is about technical devices - ie the use of verbs, adverbs, adjectives, similies, metaphors, repetition, etc in the piece, and why it is used - what is the inferred meaning, why is the writer using those exact works/phrases to influence the reader and how does it make them feel. Think China Shrimp Mash Corn

Question 3 is about structure - sentence length, the cycle of the piece (looped, linear), paragraph lengths, how the text appears to the reader and how that influences them. Does it reflect the mood of the character, how are the introduced, is it shocking, what is the inferred meaning.

You'll need to quote, analyse and explain, bring it back to how it makes the reader feel Definitely use discourse markers (different words to start sentences).

The best person I watched was Mr Bruff on You Tube, I also got his downloadable book for £4, I think there is another called Mr Salles which is mentioned in another thread.

The exam marking scheme is based on a pyramid, to get the higher marks you must show you have the lower level stuff ticked, so make sure you write in paragraphs, check your spellings, use different types and lengths sentences etc. There is a skills list/criteria that needs to be ticked for each grade which your teacher maybe able to give you.

so can you give me a model answer for q2
Reply 9
Sorry no, I'm not that good, nor a teacher, maybe one of the others can. Mr Bruffs video or book would.

Quick Reply

Latest