The Student Room Group

Mathsgenie

Is mathsgenie a good revision tool to use for the new 9-1 GCSE mathematics? Has anyone used it and will it get me a 4
Maths Genie is a very good website for revision. They have breakdowns of all topics, and their respective grades. But no, it will not get you a 4. You, you will get you a 4 if you revise hard. Of course, the website has the content required to achieve a grade 4, but it's the application of the knowledge it teaches that will get you a grade 4.
Maths, unlike most subjects nowadays, requires you to understand the content before applying your knowledge in the exam.
Subjects like Science ask basic and repetitive questions which you can easily answer without understanding, if you study the mark scheme from previous years.

Maths questions aren't repetitive so simply doing exam questions, before understanding the content, is useless. Trust me, I got a grade 9 for GCSE Maths.
But once you have studied well, maths genie is a good resource, but contains mainly old exam questions which are much easier than the new GCSE. There are SOO MANY websites where you can find papers e.g Bland.in
It is useful to do these once you have finished all your revision :smile:

And btw, you should be aiming for high grades, so that even if you don't reach the highest grade, you will still end up on a good one.
Good Luck
:smile:
Reply 4
For those who have passed mathematics GCSE what paper did you feel most confident in? Calculator or non calculator? What tips would you give someone aiming for a 5? I use mathsgenie and do u guys think it is good enough or is the content not up to date with the new 9-1???
Reply 5
Original post by Maro122
Is mathsgenie a good revision tool to use for the new 9-1 GCSE mathematics? Has anyone used it and will it get me a 4

Maths Genie is a good website I have used for some time and helps me with all sorts of GCSE topics in maths such as stratified sampling and quadratic graphs.
Reply 6
Original post by Maro122
For those who have passed mathematics GCSE what paper did you feel most confident in? Calculator or non calculator? What tips would you give someone aiming for a 5? I use mathsgenie and do u guys think it is good enough or is the content not up to date with the new 9-1???

Personally, I feel most confident in the calculator as it is tricky but also you are able to show your working out and for someone that is aiming for a 5 they should revise almost every day for subjects they mainly do not know. If you revise for the subjects you know, there is no point really.
Reply 7
Original post by Piiii
Personally, I feel most confident in the calculator as it is tricky but also you are able to show your working out and for someone that is aiming for a 5 they should revise almost every day for subjects they mainly do not know. If you revise for the subjects you know, there is no point really.

Do you think it maybe possible to get a 5 if you have no tutor lessons and mathsgenie only but also work reallly hard?
Reply 8
Original post by Maro122
Do you think it maybe possible to get a 5 if you have no tutor lessons and mathsgenie only but also work reallly hard?

I am not really sure but you have to work really hard to get the grade you deserve!
Reply 9
Am I on the safe side of at least achieving a grade 5 on higher mathematics GCSE if I mainly revise ALL topics from 3-5 ?
no because your test will still have higher grade material
Reply 11
Original post by Piiii

Am I on the safe side of at least achieving a grade 5 on higher mathematics GCSE if I mainly revise ALL topics from 3-5 ?

Quick Reply

Latest