The Student Room Group

How do I show passion?

Hi,

I'm thinking of studying French and want to apply to Oxford, but I have no idea on how to show I have passion for this subject?! Can anyone pleaseee help
Reply 1
The oxford deadline was 15th October.
If you still want to go there you'll have to reapply next year
talking about the culture and why you find it interesting/ something you would want to immerse yourself in.

Wider reading, watching films, work experience etc etc
Reply 3
Hey hey, so I'm applying to do French and Spanish at Cambridge, so not really Oxford but close :biggrin: The best way I feel to demonstrate your passion when studying foreign languages is just to describe how your life has been affected by your study of French, outside the classroom. For me, this has manifested in writing reviews of French films on a blog, reading French literature and music, but also just staying engaged with the news in France and other French-speaking countries. In the summer, Oxford also has a summer school for year 12's called 'Uniq' that you might be successful at which would demonstrate how passionate you are about continuing your study of French. I hope this was helpful!
Original post by bateaux
Hey hey, so I'm applying to do French and Spanish at Cambridge, so not really Oxford but close :biggrin: The best way I feel to demonstrate your passion when studying foreign languages is just to describe how your life has been affected by your study of French, outside the classroom. For me, this has manifested in writing reviews of French films on a blog, reading French literature and music, but also just staying engaged with the news in France and other French-speaking countries. In the summer, Oxford also has a summer school for year 12's called 'Uniq' that you might be successful at which would demonstrate how passionate you are about continuing your study of French. I hope this was helpful!

Thank you so much!! I'm in Year 12, how are you finding A level French??
Reply 5
Original post by hategcses123
Thank you so much!! I'm in Year 12, how are you finding A level French??

Honestly, I love it; I like the units we do this year, focused mostly on the social issues and tensions and political aspects of France, I think the as and a level course is just so much more fascinating than the GCSE. How are you finding it? Year 12 was definitely a dramatic step up for me, especially with the increased focus on grammar and such, if you ever need help with that, feel free to drop me a PM!
Original post by bateaux
Honestly, I love it; I like the units we do this year, focused mostly on the social issues and tensions and political aspects of France, I think the as and a level course is just so much more fascinating than the GCSE. How are you finding it? Year 12 was definitely a dramatic step up for me, especially with the increased focus on grammar and such, if you ever need help with that, feel free to drop me a PM!

Thank you so much for your kindness! And yes, French is unfortunately proving to be the hardest of my A levels :frown:, so much harder than GCSE!! I realllyyyyyyy want an A! Please assure me it gets better ahahaha, also do you do AQA??
Reply 7
Original post by hategcses123
Thank you so much for your kindness! And yes, French is, unfortunately, proving to be the hardest of my A levels,:frown: so much harder than GCSE!! I realllyyyyyyy want an A! Please assure me it gets better ahahaha, also do you do AQA??

Haha, yes it does get better, the first few months of solid grammar do make you rethink life, but it does get more comfortable the more you do it and definitely more interesting as you actually start to delve into the content stuff. Just make sure you keep practising outside of class, so you don't begin to forget it as that will come back to bite you in the ass around exam time (been there done that) Yeah I do aqa as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending