The Student Room Group

Applying for Pre-funded PhD Projects

I'm looking to apply for PhD's this year and I have found two projects that sound absolutely fascinating that I would like to apply for.

Ive been informed by my uni about PhD applications but mostly from the point of view of approaching people about your own research ideas and less about approaching people who have advertised projects.

Can anyone advise how i should approach someone about an advertised project? what are professors looking for in that case? how is the application different?
Email the contact academic and explain your academic background, and say something like 'Is this the sort of background you are looking for?'. This is the ice-breaker. If they like what you have told them, you should get a positive email back, and encouragement to apply.

Any application needs to be tailored entirely to that project, as stated in the ad. Other than that its essentially the same process as any other PhD application - why this project interests me, and this is how my academic background makes me perfect for this project.

PS. Far fewer people apply for specified project titles than 'open calls'. You chances of getting an interview therefore are much higher.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Email the contact academic and explain your academic background, and say something like 'Is this the sort of background you are looking for?'. This is the ice-breaker. If they like what you have told them, you should get a positive email back, and encouragement to apply.

Any application needs to be tailored entirely to that project, as stated in the ad. Other than that its essentially the same process as any other PhD application - why this project interests me, and this is how my academic background makes me perfect for this project.

PS. Far fewer people apply for specified project titles than 'open calls'. You chances of getting an interview therefore are much higher.

Thank you for the response! I was also wondering, how acceptable is it to ask particulars about the project in the opening email? or is this something i should save until later if i get an interview or something?
Original post by Zactopus
Thank you for the response! I was also wondering, how acceptable is it to ask particulars about the project in the opening email? or is this something i should save until later if i get an interview or something?

If you have specific questions about the project, ask before you apply.

Quick Reply

Latest