The Student Room Group

I'm freaking out, questions about applying to uni

Q1: If my predicted grades are lower than the entry requirements can I still get offers? I mean I have been revising all summer and half term I'm pretty sure I can get the grades I just flopped first year of sixth form
Q2: Does my personal statement have to be 4000 characters if I go under by like 1000 will they think I'm not interesting and reject me.
Q3: Do universities care about when you submit your ucas application because I haven't yet and don't plan to for a few more days.
Reply 1
Original post by GeorgeMillerr
Q1: If my predicted grades are lower than the entry requirements can I still get offers? I mean I have been revising all summer and half term I'm pretty sure I can get the grades I just flopped first year of sixth form
Q2: Does my personal statement have to be 4000 characters if I go under by like 1000 will they think I'm not interesting and reject me.
Q3: Do universities care about when you submit your UCAS application because I haven't yet and don't plan to for a few more days.

DISCLAIMER: I'm by no means an expert on UCAS applications, so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry, don't fight me

1) Maybe, but I think your personal statement would have to be to a very high standard as there might be a lot of people applying who would meet (and might even exceed) the entry requirements who are more likely to get the place over you. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply if you really like the course and the uni but just to be aware.

2) It doesn't have to be 4000, it can be under as it's better to be concise than to waffle but 1000 is kind of a lot, is there not anything else you could add? I doubt a university would think you weren't interesting but again the shortness could disadvantage you against another applicant who has used 4000 characters (they might have written something that could give them a leg up).

3) Not really, as long as you submit on time (aka before January) it doesn't really matter when exactly you do.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GeorgeMillerr
Q3: Do universities care about when you submit your ucas application because I haven't yet and don't plan to for a few more days.

1. Depends. On the number Of applicants, how competitive the course is and how lower your predicted grades are than the course requirement. If lower by a grade or two, you might. But chances are quite low.
2. Number Of characters doesnt matter, the quality does. Try writing atleast 3000-3500.
3. Don't worry about that, as long you apply before 15th January, you shouldnt have a problem. Just try to submit it by the end of november. Sometimes, courses get filled up quickly. I myself haven't written my personal statement yet lol.
Good luck!
1) Applying to courses where your predictions are any more than one grade out is pretty much a waste of time. The usual advice is : 1 choice just above you grades (risky but worth a shot), 2 or 3 at your predicted grades, and 2 or 1 below your predictions. Remember - most top Unis wont consider 'one below' for popular subjects, but if you are applying to less competitive Unis or for a more obscure subjects, they are more likely to look at 'one grade below'.

2) A short PS looks rushed. And its unlikely to cover everything you should have said. Not recommended.

3) The UCAS January deadline ensures 'equal consideration' - that your application will be looked at in exactly the same way as one submitted in October. Despite what you might hear on TSR, there really is no advantage in 'applying early' - Unis do not 'run out of offers'.
1. Not sure, Probably best to use your predicted grades as your best case base because if your predictions are lower than the requirements, you will probably get outright rejected and waste one of your submissions.
2. I would recommend trying to use the given space. 4000 chars is not a lot and personally I struggled to squeeze everything in to that space and had to cut a lot of stuff out.
3. Unis receive the applications via UCAS. As long as you are within the UCAS deadline, it will be considered. I think this is right? You can also submit applications later using UCAS extra - https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices
1. Probably yes, I had a friend who was applying to Nottingham for Bio Chemistry and the requirements were A*AA and she got AAB and still got in. What unis like to do is put offers high so it incentivises people to put that as their firm offer, then they accept lower to capture students = Profit.

2. Not sure, I would think that a limit means anything reasonable under it, 4000 characters, 47 lines.

3. Application has to be submitted by Jan 15, unless you want to do Medicine and Dentistry or go to oxbridge, the deadline for that was 15 of oct... I think :colonhash:
Original post by AlevelsMakeMeSui
1. Probably yes, I had a friend who was applying to Nottingham for Bio Chemistry and the requirements were A*AA and she got AAB and still got in. What unis like to do is put offers high so it incentivises people to put that as their firm offer, then they accept lower to capture students = Profit.

2. Not sure, I would think that a limit means anything reasonable under it, 4000 characters, 47 lines.

3. Application has to be submitted by Jan 15, unless you want to do Medicine and Dentistry or go to oxbridge, the deadline for that was 15 of oct... I think :colonhash:

What were your friends predicted grades? Or did she get in on results day?
Original post by AnALevelStudent

A* Maths, A chemistry, A bio I think.

But she told me not to freak out about applying as ALOT of people get into uni through clearing.
A* Maths, A chemistry, A bio I think.

That's so good, I'm predicted AAB and I wanna go to a uni that requires AAA so I'm really sad
That's so good, I'm predicted AAB and I wanna go to a uni that requires AAA so I'm really sad

Oh you can still apply, remember it says "Typical Offer", And can't you get that B to an A? What subject is it?
Oh you can still apply, remember it says "Typical Offer", And can't you get that B to an A? What subject is it?

The B prediction is for Biology, but I'm applying for law. I am aiming for an A but my teacher doesn't seem to think I can do it :/
The B prediction is for Biology, but I'm applying for law. I am aiming for an A but my teacher doesn't seem to think I can do it :/

ah jheeze, you'll have to beg, but I would still apply for the unis, if you know you can get the grade then apply if you don't get an offer do clearing, if you do well done
1) you can certainly apply for some universities that have grades above your predicted. personally i think the best way to do this is to apply for one or two "reach" universities that you don't have the predicted grades for but aren't that far off so you hope you will get offers from, a one or two of universities that you still really like that are around your grade level. and a couple of insurance universities that are below your expected grades that you think your very likely to get offers from and are unlikely to miss these offers later. this way if you can get into an absolute favourite university then amazing, if you don't manage you still go to a good uni your excited about and if things dont go exactly to plan you have something to fall back on.

2) there's nothing wrong with going under but if you have extra space you could go in and try to flesh your ideas and experiences out. obviously be aware of your structure and clarity while doing this.

3) it will depend on university but you should be alright. many will wait until jan 15 so that they can examine all of them at once anyway. some will examine them as they go along but unless you are submitting very late then you wont have to worry about them running out of offers to give they will keep this in mind as they are giving them out.
Original post by Zactopus
1) you can certainly apply for some universities that have grades above your predicted. personally i think the best way to do this is to apply for one or two "reach" universities that you don't have the predicted grades for but aren't that far off so you hope you will get offers from, a one or two of universities that you still really like that are around your grade level. and a couple of insurance universities that are below your expected grades that you think your very likely to get offers from and are unlikely to miss these offers later. this way if you can get into an absolute favourite university then amazing, if you don't manage you still go to a good uni your excited about and if things dont go exactly to plan you have something to fall back on.

2) there's nothing wrong with going under but if you have extra space you could go in and try to flesh your ideas and experiences out. obviously be aware of your structure and clarity while doing this.

3) it will depend on university but you should be alright. many will wait until jan 15 so that they can examine all of them at once anyway. some will examine them as they go along but unless you are submitting very late then you wont have to worry about them running out of offers to give they will keep this in mind as they are giving them out.

It doesn't matter when you apply, no extra advantage to someone applying literally on the deadline date.
It doesn't matter when you apply, no extra advantage to someone applying literally on the deadline date.

You mean *disadvantage?
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
You mean *disadvantage?

ye mi bad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending