The Student Room Group

Does anyone regret going/not going to Uni?

I really want to hear everyone's experience/opinions. I'm thinking of doing an apprenticeship but don't want to miss out on uni life, (social life, independence etc). Has anyone done an apprenticeship and had a great social life? I'm scared I wont make friends on my apprenticeship and all my current friends will be far away at Uni.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by rdlewiss
I really want to hear everyone's experience/opinions. I'm thinking of doing an apprenticeship but don't want to miss out on uni life, (social life, independence etc). Has anyone done an apprenticeship and had a great social life? I'm scared I wont make friends on my apprenticeship and all my current friends will be far away at Uni.

Do what will get you the career you want if the apprenticeship is a good one that will allow you to progress without all the debt and give you experience as well it is probably worth doing that.

University life is overrated tbh I know they mention all the cliches of "the best 3 years of your life" etc but really your main reason on going uni should be to do with the degree helping you get into the career you want not the experience/ nightlife etc.

What is your apprenticeship in btw?
Reply 2
Original post by iodo345
Do what will get you the career you want if the apprenticeship is a good one that will allow you to progress without all the debt and give you experience as well it is probably worth doing that.

University life is overrated tbh I know they mention all the cliches of "the best 3 years of your life" etc but really your main reason on going uni should be to do with the degree helping you get into the career you want not the experience/ nightlife etc.

What is your apprenticeship in btw?

I'm still in the process of applying for them (most open early next year) but from a range of finance, tech, business etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm still in the process of applying for them (most open early next year) but from a range of finance, tech, business etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advice would be to keep your options open as you can always go to uni after an apprenticeship but you can't do an apprenticeship after university.

Lots of people regret going to university because they have found that could have got to the same position if somebody told them about apprenticeships at school or they are in a non graduate job.

I think a lot of the good apprenticeships are competitive so university could always become a fall back option if you want it to.

Hope this helps
nope, finally at a university I'm proud of, doing a course i've really wanted to do and with some of the most interesting people around. couldn't be happier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't regret going so far, because I'm learning more about a subject I am passionate about. In terms of social life and independence; I feel that it's all overrated nonsense, or maybe I'm just that socially broken already.
Tens of thousands of pounds of debt I don't even earn enough to pay the interest on, hated every day, got a crappy degree, didn't make friends, and developed serious health problems.

Yeah, regret it.

Uni is no guarantee that you'll make a load of friends, be going out having a great time, and being able to actually enjoy that independence. :no:
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't know about regret, but some days I kinda wish I just became a builder. Where I live it's a decent life, you get well taken care of, a few people I knew were earning £36k at 19.
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
nope, finally at a university I'm proud of, doing a course i've really wanted to do and with some of the most interesting people around. couldn't be happier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where do you go?
Original post by Goeke
Where do you go?

Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
Tens of thousands of pounds of debt I don't even earn enough to pay the interest on, hated every day, got a crappy degree, didn't make friends, and developed serious health problems.

Yeah, regret it.

Uni is no guarantee that you'll make a load of friends, be going out having a great time, and being able to actually enjoy that independence. :no:

I kind of find myself in this position in second year.

Would you say it is worth considering dropping out as I feel will end up with a crap degree and hate it here?

Has your degree helped your employment prospects?

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.
Original post by iodo345
I kind of find myself in this position in second year.

Would you say it is worth considering dropping out as I feel will end up with a crap degree and hate it here?

Has your degree helped your employment prospects?

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

You've already paid the fees for this year right? I'd probably stay just because of that, I doubt you'll get a refund. I don't recall exactly, but I think you can get a diploma of higher education if you complete two years of a degree but you get nothing for just doing first year so you might want to consider staying for that so at least you get something for $18,000. Kinda crappy though. What exactly do you hate about it if you don't mind sharing?

My situation isn't typical: I live in the US now so no one here knows what a 2:2 means but when I got that I was well aware how many doors in the UK closed: I didn't have a job and many graduate courses were closed to me despite the 2:2 being from a top uni. I did get on a masters program at a very low ranked university (I wanted to "cancel out" my poor undergrad with a better masters).
You've already paid the fees for this year right? I'd probably stay just because of that, I doubt you'll get a refund. I don't recall exactly, but I think you can get a diploma of higher education if you complete two years of a degree but you get nothing for just doing first year so you might want to consider staying for that so at least you get something for $18,000. Kinda crappy though. What exactly do you hate about it if you don't mind sharing?

My situation isn't typical: I live in the US now so no one here knows what a 2:2 means but when I got that I was well aware how many doors in the UK closed: I didn't have a job and many graduate courses were closed to me despite the 2:2 being from a top uni. I did get on a masters program at a very low ranked university (I wanted to "cancel out" my poor undergrad with a better masters).

I am doing psychology but pretty much have found it boring since first year. We have 4 exams each semester and I am struggling to keep on top of the workload and have little passion anymore.

I would much rather be working but I hear how most graduates end up in jobs they could have done at 16 so I see little use me having a degree now.

Your right with the diploma and fee issue and this is the only thing that makes me stay as even if I get a 2.2 it is worth more than a diploma.

Would you see not having a degree as being a major hindrance in the working world like we were made to believe at school?

Also, may I ask have you had any job even if it is a non graduate job since your 2.2 as I hear people have been unemployed for 5 years after their degree because they are overqualified for menial work but I don't know if this is just scare stories.

Thanks
My brother and a couple of my friends did an apprenticeship and they absolutely loved it. I'm currently in full time employment as I didn't fancy university and I absolutely love it, so much more freedom and it's nice to have money in your pocket! Also, most of your uni friends will most likely go back to your city at a weekend (speaking from experience) I hope this has helped
Original post by iodo345
I am doing psychology but pretty much have found it boring since first year. We have 4 exams each semester and I am struggling to keep on top of the workload and have little passion anymore.

I would much rather be working but I hear how most graduates end up in jobs they could have done at 16 so I see little use me having a degree now.

Your right with the diploma and fee issue and this is the only thing that makes me stay as even if I get a 2.2 it is worth more than a diploma.

Would you see not having a degree as being a major hindrance in the working world like we were made to believe at school?

Also, may I ask have you had any job even if it is a non graduate job since your 2.2 as I hear people have been unemployed for 5 years after their degree because they are overqualified for menial work but I don't know if this is just scare stories.

Thanks

I've read that psychology is one of those degrees that there is more supply than demand when it comes to graduates so getting a psychology related job can be very difficult - though if you're not enjoying the work you probably wouldn't be interested in that anyhow? I guess people try to sell degrees based on "transferable skills" of which I learned pretty much none during my degree. I already knew how to write from school, sure, I got better at it, but that's an expensive writing course. I had the same view about the diploma, a 2:2 is still worth more. :dontknow:

Have you thought about talking to your university counseling center?

My job does require a degree but I only got it a few weeks ago despite graduating more than 5 years ago. I don't think that most graduates end up in jobs they could have done at 16, I don't think degrees, even 2:2s have been devalued that much, but there is definitely a lot of competition for jobs and experience is important - it's no longer a case of having a degree = getting a job. Have you ever had a job? It might be an idea for you to see if you can get a part-time job so you have something other than just uni to put on your CV, I realize that would make it even harder to keep on top of the workload so maybe look just over the holidays - like Royal Mail always hire loads of people as Christmas temps.
I've read that psychology is one of those degrees that there is more supply than demand when it comes to graduates so getting a psychology related job can be very difficult - though if you're not enjoying the work you probably wouldn't be interested in that anyhow? I guess people try to sell degrees based on "transferable skills" of which I learned pretty much none during my degree. I already knew how to write from school, sure, I got better at it, but that's an expensive writing course. I had the same view about the diploma, a 2:2 is still worth more. :dontknow:

Have you thought about talking to your university counseling center?

My job does require a degree but I only got it a few weeks ago despite graduating more than 5 years ago. I don't think that most graduates end up in jobs they could have done at 16, I don't think degrees, even 2:2s have been devalued that much, but there is definitely a lot of competition for jobs and experience is important - it's no longer a case of having a degree = getting a job. Have you ever had a job? It might be an idea for you to see if you can get a part-time job so you have something other than just uni to put on your CV, I realize that would make it even harder to keep on top of the workload so maybe look just over the holidays - like Royal Mail always hire loads of people as Christmas temps.

The "transferable skills" thing is what dragged me in as well as I was told it could be applied to a range of careers regardless of if you go into psychology. I think it is just a clever way of marketing tbh as to me it just seems like an expensive writing course that is just a ticket to a graduate job and nothing more.

That kind of makes me feel more positive now that you have a job after 5 years from your degree. I don't intend to get a masters in psychology or go into a psychology career.

I have never had a job and have been looking for part time work as I know I need something on my CV so have been handing out CVs but know that there is this cycle of needing experience to get a job. I will try Royal Mail.

Did you get a non graduate job after your degree and if so did you hear back responses of overqualified etc?
Original post by iodo345
The "transferable skills" thing is what dragged me in as well as I was told it could be applied to a range of careers regardless of if you go into psychology. I think it is just a clever way of marketing tbh as to me it just seems like an expensive writing course that is just a ticket to a graduate job and nothing more.

That kind of makes me feel more positive now that you have a job after 5 years from your degree. I don't intend to get a masters in psychology or go into a psychology career.

I have never had a job and have been looking for part time work as I know I need something on my CV so have been handing out CVs but know that there is this cycle of needing experience to get a job. I will try Royal Mail.

Did you get a non graduate job after your degree and if so did you hear back responses of overqualified etc?

My degree (I'd prefer not to disclose it on a public forum if you're really interested PM me) was one where it doesn't lead directly to a specific career so yes those transferable skills were the main draw. That and learning more about something I was passionate about. The novelty wore off pretty quick and I didn't make any friends and hated pretty much everything about uni (I did enjoy playing sports).

No I didn't. This is the first job I've had since graduating. :colondollar: For the vast majority of jobs I applied for I just didn't hear anything back. Not even a rejection. I don't know if that was because I was overqualified or what. To be fair, I only applied right after leaving uni and then waited a couple of years applied for some more, then waited another couple of years (health problems) but I got very few interviews.

Yeah, check out Royal Mail. Also a lot of shops hire around Christmas time so you might get lucky. Fast food is less pleasant conditions but may be more obtainable.
My degree (I'd prefer not to disclose it on a public forum if you're really interested PM me) was one where it doesn't lead directly to a specific career so yes those transferable skills were the main draw. That and learning more about something I was passionate about. The novelty wore off pretty quick and I didn't make any friends and hated pretty much everything about uni (I did enjoy playing sports).

No I didn't. This is the first job I've had since graduating. :colondollar: For the vast majority of jobs I applied for I just didn't hear anything back. Not even a rejection. I don't know if that was because I was overqualified or what. To be fair, I only applied right after leaving uni and then waited a couple of years applied for some more, then waited another couple of years (health problems) but I got very few interviews.

Yeah, check out Royal Mail. Also a lot of shops hire around Christmas time so you might get lucky. Fast food is less pleasant conditions but may be more obtainable.

So basically would you say you were unemployed for 5 years perhaps which may be influenced perhaps due to health problems etc?

I hear these stories a lot after university and this just scares me to death and makes me want to leave straight away as I would take any job at the minute and work my way up.

I will talk to careers service as I know of other paths which don't require degrees but right now I will stick this degree out and do my best unless I seriously fail or have health issues etc.

Thanks for the help btw.
I regret that it took me a few more years than most to get to uni, but that's only because I've always been academically inclined. I just didn't know where my interests were until quite recently.

Uni's not for everyone though, and everyone I've known that has gone to do an apprenticeship has enjoyed it and found it rewarding which really is all that matters.
Original post by iodo345
So basically would you say you were unemployed for 5 years perhaps which may be influenced perhaps due to health problems etc?

I hear these stories a lot after university and this just scares me to death and makes me want to leave straight away as I would take any job at the minute and work my way up.

I will talk to careers service as I know of other paths which don't require degrees but right now I will stick this degree out and do my best unless I seriously fail or have health issues etc.

Thanks for the help btw.

University is a daunting experience for everyone. You must have heard the cliche 'best years of your life.' or 'friends for life.' Whilst some of this is true, some is not. The likelihood is that you will go through a full spectrum of emotions through the 3 /4 years you will be at your respective institution. Happiness, ecstasy, sadness, tiredness and lots of laughter hopefully. As great as it is to have all these emotions, you will want to also keep some consistency and grow as a person, both emotionally and mentally.
Do what is right for you. If you are daunted by the idea of uni but know you are doing a good degree and one you are passionate about , go for it! Everyone is in the same boat at uni. However, I do think sometimes your experience that you have at uni can depend at what institution you are at. I'll say the top and decent unis would provide a good experience.
Also , lots of people go to uni just for partying etc, but uni is so much more than that people need to realise that. For example joining socities, taking leadership roles is such a good way to meet like minded people, step out of your comfort zone and develop independence, skills that are so valuable to employers.. BUT this is only if you make full use of what uni offers. e.g top/decent unis like notts, warwick, aston, birm, top lonodn unis etc, if you make full use of the facilities it provides you will leave uni feeling confident etc.
It's up to you . I do know however for things like accounting you don't even need a degree so you can think about that. but I do feel if you make full use what uni offers, you will have memories to cherish for life. There are people who go to good unis but end up doing nothing from partying -won' get u anywhere my friend.

Quick Reply

Latest