The Student Room Group

Applying twice to Durham- bad idea?

So ideally I'd like to study English Literature and Computer Science on the same course but I am also applying to some single honours courses knowing that I can do further study afterwards in the other subject etc. I know that I am going to apply to-
Glasgow for English Literature and Computer Science
UCL for Arts and Sciences
Manchester for English Literature
Durham for Computer Science (with a substitute personal statement- my main statement is about English.)
My final choice is whether to apply to UCL or Durham for English. I am worried that because I will have two applications going to the same university they may be dealt with by the same admissions tutor and I may not look dedicated to either subject (when in reality I am dedicated to both and have picked the specific courses which I like the most.) Specifically I am worried because when I submit my substitute personal statement to Durham I either have to tick a box saying that I am doing it because my courses are "similar but slightly different" or a box saying "other" and then explain. Overall I'd say that my courses are similar but slightly different but if an admissions tutor sees that I have put that and then sees an application for English alongside it they may be put off. Equally I feel that fully explaining the situation in the "other" box is a risk as they may think that my slightly unusual situation shows a lack of dedication. Does anyone have any advice with all of this please? :smile:
Original post by 899071
Does anyone have any advice with all of this please?

Yes. Make your mind up what you want to study before applying, then apply with a PS that matches the course (and apply for the same subject at all universities).

By all means apply for CS and English joint honours, but do so at all universities. Both departments will want to see equal enthusiasm and receive equal attention in the PS.

Otherwise, choose either English or CS and have a PS that suits the single subject. English is very competitive and you will need all the space you can, undiluted by CS information that is not relevant for all choices.

You will need to choose between them eventually so it makes sense to do so at a time when it can help your application and not after not choosing early has damaged it.
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
Yes. Make your mind up what you want to study before applying, then apply with a PS that matches the course (and apply for the same subject at all universities).

By all means apply for CS and English joint honours, but do so at all universities. Both departments will want to see equal enthusiasm and receive equal attention in the PS.

Otherwise, choose either English or CS and have a PS that suits the single subject. English is very competitive and you will need all the space you can, undiluted by CS information that is not relevant for all choices.

You will need to choose between them eventually so it makes sense to do so at a time when it can help your application and not after not choosing early has damaged it.

There aren't enough English and Computer Science joint honours courses in the country to do this, I am applying to all but one of the courses that exists (I am unable to apply to liberal arts and sciences at Birmingham because I cannot do a year abroad.) The joint honours/ flexible courses that I am applying for either won't read the PS anyway or will accept a single honours PS, this is because they know that they are unusual courses. I am not applying to any courses with PS's which are not entirely relevant to the specific course, as detailed above. Eventually I intend to go into games design, although there are other options (law conversion course or teaching) so I won't have to decide at all as the industry is creative and techy :smile: Thanks for trying to help though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending