The Student Room Group

Are there different types of people?

Are you and English kind of person or do you prefer to solve maths equations? My mind has come to the conclusion that there are different types of people and everyone has a subject that they prefer or are rather better in. Most people tell me “oh if you try hard enough you can progress in any subject” but in my case that’s far from it. You see English and history are subjects I could do all day and you’d hear no complaint , maths on the other hand. Maths still confuses my brain cells and gives me headaches every time I try . I fear that I might fail my maths GCSE because I feel like it’s just not for me .Being in year 10 doesn’t give me a lot of time to progress, has anyone got ideas on how I can get better ?????
You don't ****ing say
Original post by Ciaraxx11
Are you and English kind of person or do you prefer to solve maths equations? My mind has come to the conclusion that there are different types of people and everyone has a subject that they prefer or are rather better in. Most people tell me “oh if you try hard enough you can progress in any subject” but in my case that’s far from it. You see English and history are subjects I could do all day and you’d hear no complaint , maths on the other hand. Maths still confuses my brain cells and gives me headaches every time I try . I fear that I might fail my maths GCSE because I feel like it’s just not for me .Being in year 10 doesn’t give me a lot of time to progress, has anyone got ideas on how I can get better ?????

For maths literally rinse out past papers. Consistent revision will get you an A* or 9 or whatever it is now. Youtube videos and ehh past papers.

I used to absolutely despise maths in year 9, I changed that around and now doing A-Level maths and will genuinely vomit at the prospect of analysing/ writing an essay on a book.
Learn and take calpol for them headaches (enough to get high) but don't overdose.

fkvte.jpg
Try learning maths theory in a way that is similar to the one that you use for English and history e.g. spider diagrams and flashcards. After that, you can watch maths videos and solve some questions.

I think that there are different types of people when it comes to learning but finding the best ways to learn and revise for each different subject can help you tremendously. Maths is all about doing a lot of practice.
Reply 5
Original post by AlevelsMakeMeSui
For maths literally rinse out past papers. Consistent revision will get you an A* or 9 or whatever it is now. Youtube videos and ehh past papers.

I used to absolutely despise maths in year 9, I changed that around and now doing A-Level maths and will genuinely vomit at the prospect of analysing/ writing an essay on a book.

Thank you I’ll try the previous papers idea that’s smart I wouldn’t of ever come up with that lmao
Reply 6
Original post by tarataika
Try learning maths theory in a way that is similar to the one that you use for English and history e.g. spider diagrams and flashcards. After that, you can watch maths videos and solve some questions.

I think that there are different types of people when it comes to learning but finding the best ways to learn and revise for each different subject can help you tremendously. Maths is all about doing a lot of practice.

Legendddd👌🏼
Reply 7
Original post by Bill Nye
Learn and take calpol for them headaches (enough to get high) but don't overdose.

fkvte.jpg

I’ll use sharpies instead 😎 that’s how to really do it
I’ll use sharpies instead 😎 that’s how to really do it

Yessss.

Sorry I only communicate in crappy memes I got off of google images :smile:

Spoiler

Thank you I’ll try the previous papers idea that’s smart I wouldn’t of ever come up with that lmao

np kiddo
I'm the same as you in preferring more english-oriented subjects, at A-level I do both English Lit and History. I know it's horrible having to do Maths but just keep revising and doing past papers, targeting your weaker areas. Then you can come out with a good grade and never really have to look back at maths again!
i know how you feel, im **** at maths but hopefully what will motivate you is that maths actually becomes bearable/possibly enjoyable when you understand it.

Luckily you are aware of your weakpoint now so you have time to sort it out, dont worry and good luck

everyone else said what to do so i wont repeat
I'm a maths person and dread English but definitely the best way at GCSE to get a good grade in maths is to do lots of past papers but since 9-1 is new you should do other questions on the new stuff as it won't be in most past papers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending