The Student Room Group

Revising Macbeth

I just bought the York Notes study guides for Macbeth and the Poetry part of my exam! From what I can see they look really good, cgp for me just don't go into enough detail and I find they are very overcrowded!

Anyone got any tips for revising literature? I never know what to write down for my revision and whether I should do mind maps or not?!
I’m currently doing mind maps of ALL characters and (most) there’s for Macbeth & Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde. I bought the York notes but tbh I havent used it much apart from taking some info out for my mind maps. In my mind maps I have the key point about he character in black, any evidence (quotes, events) in blue, and context in purple, with any other explanations or info or annotations on quotes in black. For the themes I have the key point, and then I arrow around it information so for example in Macbeth one theme is guilt -> lady Macbeth is guilty -> “out damn spot” and then more arrows explaining the quote, the character, the situation, then any context (which I highlight in green)
Reply 2
Cool, I've been doing flash cards at the moment but I think nearer the time of my mocks I'm gonna start doing something that the YouTuber Unjaded Jade does and do these sort of 'splurge mind maps', I also want to start writing down lots of quotes on post it notes....
Reply 3
Original post by Kirstywj01
I just bought the York Notes study guides for Macbeth and the Poetry part of my exam! From what I can see they look really good, cgp for me just don't go into enough detail and I find they are very overcrowded!

Anyone got any tips for revising literature? I never know what to write down for my revision and whether I should do mind maps or not?!

Mr Bruff Mr Bruff Mr Bruff
Reply 4
Original post by m-k1
Mr Bruff Mr Bruff Mr Bruff

I really like mr bruff for poetry, but I haven't really looked at his Macbeth videos...
Okay so I did Macbeth this summer and got a grade 9 in eng lit AQA so this is solid advice:

-practise essays!!!! Get your teachers to give you extracts and random questions. Literally the night before the exam I did an extract on Macbeth's ambition and I KID YOU NOT the SAME extract and SAME question came up in the exam. Talk about sheer luck. Even if it doesn't come up on your exam, you'll feel better prepared with whatever comes your way.

-memorise quotes!! a lot. like a lot of quotes. not 5 like everyone else says you have to. I wrote out all my key macbeth quotes on a giant cuecard in tiny handwriting and looked over that every now and again to try to memorise them. It's really handy to have them all in one place because you can have them out right before the exam and look them over. I also colour coded the quotes depending on either the theme or the character that said them

-reread the text. reread it again. make sure you know what's happening in each scene and who the characters are. I made giant A3 sheets with summaries on each scene within an Act. Then you just need to keep going over them.

-try to come up with original points and ideas. think outside the box. noone else can do this for you

Good luck xx
Reply 6
I really like mr bruff for poetry, but I haven't really looked at his Macbeth videos...

They’re pretty good, to be honest I didn’t use them much though

I used http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher/english/macbeth/ for my notes (got a 9!)
Reply 7
Original post by MedicGirl17
Okay so I did Macbeth this summer and got a grade 9 in eng lit AQA so this is solid advice:

-practise essays!!!! Get your teachers to give you extracts and random questions. Literally the night before the exam I did an extract on Macbeth's ambition and I KID YOU NOT the SAME extract and SAME question came up in the exam. Talk about sheer luck. Even if it doesn't come up on your exam, you'll feel better prepared with whatever comes your way.

-memorise quotes!! a lot. like a lot of quotes. not 5 like everyone else says you have to. I wrote out all my key macbeth quotes on a giant cuecard in tiny handwriting and looked over that every now and again to try to memorise them. It's really handy to have them all in one place because you can have them out right before the exam and look them over. I also colour coded the quotes depending on either the theme or the character that said them

-reread the text. reread it again. make sure you know what's happening in each scene and who the characters are. I made giant A3 sheets with summaries on each scene within an Act. Then you just need to keep going over them.

-try to come up with original points and ideas. think outside the box. noone else can do this for you

Good luck xx

Thank you so much!! I'm really worried this year because I love English so much and would like to carry it on at a level but I'm not that confident with the teacher I have this year.... our teacher has barely annotated Macbeth with us because she's worried we haven't done enough of animal farm and our poetry anthologies.... which is bull. When we were reading it she kept skipping scenes because she was worried that we were taking too long, and that was only about 1 1/2 into term 😔
Reply 8
Original post by m-k1
They’re pretty good, to be honest I didn’t use them much though

I used http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher/english/macbeth/ for my notes (got a 9!)

This looks quite helpful, thanks!
Thank you so much!! I'm really worried this year because I love English so much and would like to carry it on at a level but I'm not that confident with the teacher I have this year.... our teacher has barely annotated Macbeth with us because she's worried we haven't done enough of animal farm and our poetry anthologies.... which is bull. When we were reading it she kept skipping scenes because she was worried that we were taking too long, and that was only about 1 1/2 into term 😔

Awh feel really bad for you. Don't worry too much though, I had an awful teacher too. It just means you need to put in more work yourself if you want the grades. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending