The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough for Oxford undergrad medicine?

I have 12 A* grades (inc. 3 grade 9s), 1 A grade and 1 C grade. The C grade is in Turkish, a language which I do not speak and was forced into taking the GCSE by my school several years early. Will this have a detrimental impact on my application and would I be better off applying to Cambridge instead? I don't want to waste my Oxbridge application if it is unlikely I'll get in. Thanks.
dunno if ure taking the piss, but yh they are very good for oxford as average person has 9A*s there, also its not as simple as GCSEs, you need good BMAT score of like 6,6,3.5A or something along with A*s and As at alevel, good luck!
Reply 2
This is getting ridiculous; there are numerous similar threads, who's posters have similar (if not identical) grades to you. Focus on your A Levels- your GCSE'S are fine
Reply 3
Original post by lolz23489
dunno if ure taking the piss, but yh they are very good for oxford as average person has 9A*s there, also its not as simple as GCSEs, you need good BMAT score of like 6,6,3.5A or something along with A*s and As at alevel, good luck!

I'm not taking the piss. I'm being dead serious. I know that you need good BMAT scores as well but I heard that Oxford takes an average of your GCSE results and uses this a lot in its admission process. A C grade would really pull my average down into the As or even Bs thus meaning I'd need an even higher BMAT (a risk I don't want to take as BMAT results are given out after applications go in). Having spoken to an admissions person at a different university, they said that you can't reapply for medicine or resit or anything if you get rejected from all your 4 choices the first time round and it's always been a personal goal of mine to go to Oxbridge so no way do I want to miss out on that if I can avoid it.
Original post by MedicGirl17
I'm not taking the piss. I'm being dead serious. I know that you need good BMAT scores as well but I heard that Oxford takes an average of your GCSE results and uses this a lot in its admission process. A C grade would really pull my average down into the As or even Bs thus meaning I'd need an even higher BMAT (a risk I don't want to take as BMAT results are given out after applications go in). Having spoken to an admissions person at a different university, they said that you can't reapply for medicine or resit or anything if you get rejected from all your 4 choices the first time round and it's always been a personal goal of mine to go to Oxbridge so no way do I want to miss out on that if I can avoid it.

well im currently a reapplicant after 4 rejections to med, and its fine haha idk why you heard that! and your C grade is nothing compared to 12A*s
...lol.
Reply 6
Original post by lolz23489
well im currently a reapplicant after 4 rejections to med, and its fine haha idk why you heard that! and your C grade is nothing compared to 12A*s

Really? Where have you reapplied to?
Really? Where have you reapplied to?

Liverpool
Bristol
Lancaster
King's

where are you thinking? theres only like 2 places where reapplicants are not considered, do your research! not just listening to your tutors which dont know much themselves or have outdated info
I have 12 A* grades (inc. 3 grade 9s), 1 A grade and 1 C grade. The C grade is in Turkish, a language which I do not speak and was forced into taking the GCSE by my school several years early. Will this have a detrimental impact on my application and would I be better off applying to Cambridge instead? I don't want to waste my Oxbridge application if it is unlikely I'll get in. Thanks.

Those are great results, well done. According to the Oxford website here, the GCSE measure used is a combination of number of A*s and the proportion of A*s obtained. A single C grade (as opposed to a A, B, or F for example) would appear to have no detrimental effect on this score.
(edited 6 years ago)
oh could you piss off with these posts already
'I have 20A*s, should I resit?'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending