The Student Room Group

Engineering

Hi just wanted to know would their be barriers to entry for someone retraining to be an an engineer going from financial services as an actuary to an engineer ? Is age a thing employers dont like if somone is older ?
Retraining how? Are you going down the degree route? Also how old are you?
Reply 2
Original post by Student-95
Retraining how? Are you going down the degree route? Also how old are you?

Hi I am currently 34. I been working as an actuary and went to Imperial for Maths years ago. Reapplying to uni to get my engineering training then would be working as an engineer after that hopefully in Motorsport or automotive.
Original post by 161BMW
Hi I am currently 34. I been working as an actuary and went to Imperial for Maths years ago. Reapplying to uni to get my engineering training then would be working as an engineer after that hopefully in Motorsport or automotive.

What type of degree are you doing?
I had an assessment centre recently for an engineering role and there was a guy who worked as an accountant for a few years then went back to do a degree in mechanical engineering. He was 30 and I don't know if he got an offer but he made it to the last stage.
Reply 4
Original post by Student-95
What type of degree are you doing?
I had an assessment centre recently for an engineering role and there was a guy who worked as an accountant for a few years then went back to do a degree in mechanical engineering. He was 30 and I don't know if he got an offer but he made it to the last stage.

Hi I have applied just now for Engineering via UCAS. Applied for Mech Eng, Automotive Eng, Motorsport Eng. Really want to get into Imperial for Mech Eng.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending