The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kindred
When you say "covering them" do you mean at a standard prescription cost or for free?
I can see some arguments for having a basic level of sanitary product available as prescription (by basic I mean a bog standard type of tampon/ sanitary pad that is cheap, but will get the job done). It would give basic cover for an affordable price and would also have the same exemptions (like low income) apply to it. A system like that could be good.
And I could see massive benefits in being able to ask a pharmacy for one free pad/ tampon for if you're caught off guard.
Somebody also make to point of re-usable sanitary products like moon cups and I can see that providing one of those or a couple of washable pads for free via the NHS would be a good idea. They aren't for everybody, but for people who genuinely can't afford sanitary products it could be very useful.

I do not think that all sanitary products should be provided for free though. They cost money to make and it would be insane to provide them completely free of charge. It would be nice, but it's just not practical. The NHS is struggling enough as it is.

Not all sanitary products, pads that are enough to to the job. Paracetamol (which can be bought from supermarkets for 50p per pack) is provided by the NHS for people who will not or cannot pay, so a basic amount of sanitary protection should be available (ie, pads that can work for everyone or reusables)
Original post by caspian&anakin
Not all sanitary products, pads that are enough to to the job. Paracetamol (which can be bought from supermarkets for 50p per pack) is provided by the NHS for people who will not or cannot pay, so a basic amount of sanitary protection should be available (ie, pads that can work for everyone or reusables)

I can see a lot of potential in a system like that. People who can afford them aren't going to want the basic NHS ones, but they will provide much needed support for those who do need them.
And by being on the NHS it takes on all the current exemptions like low income or age and is accessible to almost everybody.
Original post by Anonymous
At Sixth form we get people coming in once every two weeks, giving out free condoms. This got me thinking about how, although sex is a choice colleges (and the government) are willing to aid it, but periods aren't a choice and it costs 50p to buy a pad or tampon in the toilets at college.
Do you agree? Am I overreacting?
I'd love to hear your thoughts!

You are over-reacting. The point of handing out free condoms to horny teenagers is to avoid unwanted pregnancies, people cutting short their education and ending up in low wage jobs or on benefits. The entire idea is built around protecting the teenagers, as much as it is possible, from harming their chances in life.
Original post by RogerOxon
Do you understand why?

Adults (/ almost adults) are expected to look after themselves. Those without sufficient income are helped by the state, typically by being given money to spend as they need. Would you want them to receive less money, but get some free (to them) products?

well firstly a twelve year old is not an adult, how can you expect a child to start their period and deal with it correctly. most girls have no prior knowledge of periods when they start theirs never mind any pads. And we are not debating wether periods should be given out by the state, that is not the point of this thread. It is to discuss whether pads and tampons should be given out in schools and 6th forms like condoms are
Original post by cactuss
And we are not debating wether periods should be given out by the state, that is not the point of this thread. It is to discuss whether pads and tampons should be given out in schools and 6th forms like condoms are

The thread title is more general, as are many of the responses.

On the more specific question, I agree with you. Schools should be able to get free samples too. I don't find it acceptable that a school would make money from vending machines for these products.
Reply 125
I love reading all of these comments from boys who don't bleed for 3-5 days a month and go through excruciating pain. Go on, please, we really want to hear what you have to say.
Original post by RogerOxon
The thread title is more general, as are many of the responses.

On the more specific question, I agree with you. Schools should be able to get free samples too. I don't find it acceptable that a school would make money from vending machines for these products.

I don't want to get into the specifics of whether they should be given out by the state or not as i honestly don't know how it would work or whether it would work.

I do agree with you that schools shouldn't charge for tampons or pads.

I also believe that the government should not charge tax on tampons and make them tax free as they have with other necessary items.
Ok so i suppose if we have to pay for toilet roll we have to pay for pads and tampons BUT i do think that we shouldn't have to pay tax on them. For example Tesco removed the tax on tampons woooO! Love you Tesco. Also I think they should be free at school because if toilet paper is free at school why aren't tampons and pads?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shontelle1990
Toilet paper is free? In public institutions and areas. You can walk into a restaurant, cinema practically anywhere outside your home even though it's not a public institution and use toissue paper and their toilet.

To have any of these places choose not to accommodate you and basically every feces having person (which is everyone) there would literally be a public outcry and probably more nationwide confusion.

Good point
No lol, what's with everyone demanding everything for free, pay for what you need.
Original post by waleed99
Your body, your money.

hahhaa

>my body my choice!
>my body your money!

:rofl:
Normally the free condoms that are given away are cheap and pretty bad. I guess free pads and tampons can be given away but they'll be quite crap lol
Original post by Tiger Rag
However, you get benefits to buy nappies for your baby.

We have no choice but to wear women's products. You're right, it won't kill me. But bloody clothes aren't pleasant.

Here i've found all of you women a solution

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11871874/Period-product-Sanitary-pads-you-can-reuse.html

you all can use some of the money you will save by donating to my PayPal account if you wish.

Spoiler

Original post by BlueEyes15
Ok so i suppose if we have to pay for toilet roll we have to pay for pads and tampons BUT i do think that we shouldn't have to pay tax on them. For example Tesco removed the tax on tampons woooO! Love you Tesco. Also I think they should be free at school because if toilet paper is free at school why aren't tampons and pads?

Original post by cactuss
I don't want to get into the specifics of whether they should be given out by the state or not as i honestly don't know how it would work or whether it would work.

I do agree with you that schools shouldn't charge for tampons or pads.

I also believe that the government should not charge tax on tampons and make them tax free as they have with other necessary items.

They're charged the lower rate of VAT, rather than the full rate. You should be happy with that... we can always put it to the full 20%? :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
They're charged the lower rate of VAT, rather than the full rate. You should be happy with that... we can always put it to the full 20%? :smile:

Or maybe we should just introduce tax on mens razors? How long will the lower rate last for? until the government has a new budget and it's raised again?
Original post by cactuss
Or maybe we should just introduce tax on mens razors? How long will the lower rate last for? until the government has a new budget and it's raised again?

There is VAT charged on men's razors.. at the full 20%... The lower rate of VAT has been applied to women's sanitary products for years (for the last 17 years, without change)!

Do your research!
(edited 6 years ago)
What a stupid thread, condoms aren’t the sole preserve of men they are for women too.

Saying tampons should be free is like saying food should be free.

They shouldn’t be taxed and once out the EU you can campaign for that tax to be removed as that’s who’s stopping it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by paul514
What a stupid thread, condoms are the sole preserve of men they are for women too.

I really can't understand the comparison either.
Original post by Tiger Rag
VAT should be removed. But they shouldn't be free.

yes
Original post by soIiIoquy
yes

Can only remove the 5% vat once we’re out the eu

Latest

Trending

Trending