The Student Room Group

A-level Maths help Graphs!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mahrez
The graph is a quadratic, therefore can intercept the X axis in two points. Cubic graphs intercept in 3. Quatic in 4

Yes, a polynomial of degree n can have n real roots as a maximum number. However all the roots may not be real in which case you would still have n roots but some of them being imaginary.
Original post by GCSE 9
****, that means that I have to catch up on core 1 notes :angry:

Hey, I disagree with taking notes. I don't think for maths it is necessary for taking notes as the only way you will get better at maths is by actually doing it. For notes just buy textbooks and use online sites for the actual concepts. Trust me you will only get better at maths by doing lots and lots of questions. This is coming from someone who has managed to get 300/300 ums in Core Maths AS. I got an A* in gcse maths in year 10 and an A^ (A* with distinction) in further maths gcse in year 11. So I have become much better at maths over the years and I can honestly say it's because of doing questions and actually understanding what's going on. I am now applying to Cambridge University for Engineering so I have an admissions test this Thursday which is gonna be a loooot of maths and applying in unfamiliar situations but I feel prepared.
You should know how to draw -x^2 which is basically the opposite of x^2.
It says +3 at the end which means that it affects the y-axis, thus rising by 3 values of y.
So basically, you draw -x^2 where the curve is at 0,3.
Don't forget that roots cross at + root 3 and - root 3 as said by others but I dont think that anyone mentioned the fact that it must rise to (0,3).

If you still dont understand let me know and ill try and explain it in more detail
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymouspsych
Hey, I disagree with taking notes. I don't think for maths it is necessary for taking notes as the only way you will get better at maths is by actually doing it. For notes just buy textbooks and use online sites for the actual concepts. Trust me you will only get better at maths by doing lots and lots of questions. This is coming from someone who has managed to get 300/300 ums in Core Maths AS. I got an A* in gcse maths in year 10 and an A^ (A* with distinction) in further maths gcse in year 11. So I have become much better at maths over the years and I can honestly say it's because of doing questions and actually understanding what's going on. I am now applying to Cambridge University for Engineering so I have an admissions test this Thursday which is gonna be a loooot of maths and applying in unfamiliar situations but I feel prepared.

HAha same i got 556/600 messsed d1 haha 55/100 what engineering I am applying chemical
Original post by Mahrez
HAha same i got 556/600 messsed d1 haha 55/100 what engineering I am applying chemical

Mechanical at Imperial and Bristol, General Engineering at Cambridge Warwick and Durham. Haha yea d1 is really boring though unfortunately I have to do it this year. It is really easy though but I've figured out that I could potentially still get an A* if I can 90 avg across C3 and C4 and without even doing the d1 exam loool
Reply 25
Mechanical at Imperial and Bristol, General Engineering at Cambridge Warwick and Durham. Haha yea d1 is really boring though unfortunately I have to do it this year. It is really easy though but I've figured out that I could potentially still get an A* if I can 90 avg across C3 and C4 and without even doing the d1 exam loool

lol i got 100 in c3 doing c4 this year so i could literally get 0 and get an A
Reply 26

What did you get for GCSES and have you heard back from imperial
Original post by Mahrez
What did you get for GCSES and have you heard back from imperial

Hey, I got 10A*s and 2As at gcse. I have heard back from Imperial and they said they have moved my application further and now the department is looking at it- it will take a while till I hear back about any offers/rejections
Reply 28
Hey, I got 10A*s and 2As at gcse. I have heard back from Imperial and they said they have moved my application further and now the department is looking at it- it will take a while till I hear back about any offers/rejections

decent
Reply 29
Original post by _gcx
cubics and quartics are covered in as now. Idk where they were in the old spec.

Cubics were in C1. Quartics were nowhere.
Reply 30
Original post by Notnek
Cubics were in C1. Quartics were nowhere.

No i dont think so
Reply 31
Original post by GCSE 9
also, since starting AS maths, I'm really struggling with it, as this basic question I couldn't answer, I've always struggled with application but is it still possible to do well in maths if i really work hard at it because it's the hardest subject i'm taking and takes me a long time to understand a concept?

Yes it's definitely possible to improve. You need to work really hard and do as many questions as you can, which may mean more than the amount you are set for homework.

If you're struggling with a topic then make sure you don't ignore it because subsequent topics may rely on it so you will find the course getting harder and harder. If something doesn't make sense then try watching videos e.g. Examsolutions. Or ask for help here.
Reply 32
Original post by Mahrez
No i dont think so

Which part?
Reply 33
The introduction of cubics was c2
Reply 34
Original post by Mahrez
The introduction of cubics was c2

Which exam board? Drawing cubics is in AQA and Edexcel C1. You may be referring to solving cubics using the factor theorem. But this thread is about graphs.
Reply 35
Original post by Notnek
Which exam board? Drawing cubics is in AQA and Edexcel C1. You may be referring to solving cubics using the factor theorem. But this thread is about graphs.

I was talking about OCR
Reply 36
Original post by Mahrez
I was talking about OCR

Drawing cubics is part of OCR C1.
Original post by Notnek
Yes it's definitely possible to improve. You need to work really hard and do as many questions as you can, which may mean more than the amount you are set for homework.

If you're struggling with a topic then make sure you don't ignore it because subsequent topics may rely on it so you will find the course getting harder and harder. If something doesn't make sense then try watching videos e.g. Examsolutions. Or ask for help here.

Thanks, two things :smile:
1) Are the textbook exercises enough for maths, or do you also reccommend further maths revision such as: physicsandmathstutor worksheets?
2) Do you reccommend making notes for maths, i'm making them for stats because you kinda have to but what about for pure maths (e.g. formulas and answers to v.hard questions)
Reply 38
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks, two things :smile:
1) Are the textbook exercises enough for maths, or do you also reccommend further maths revision such as: physicsandmathstutor worksheets?
2) Do you reccommend making notes for maths, i'm making them for stats because you kinda have to but what about for pure maths (e.g. formulas and answers to v.hard questions)

The textbook exercises are enough if you are completing them okay. If you're struggling with them then doing more from a different source may be a good idea. Investing in another textbook may be a good plan.

I advise prioritising doing questions over making notes. If making notes works helps you then do it but make sure it doesn't take up too much of your time. Many students do very well in A Level just by doing loads of textbook questions and exam past paper questions.
Original post by Notnek
The textbook exercises are enough if you are completing them okay. If you're struggling with them then doing more from a different source may be a good idea. Investing in another textbook may be a good plan.

I advise prioritising doing questions over making notes. If making notes works helps you then do it but make sure it doesn't take up too much of your time. Many students do very well in A Level just by doing loads of textbook questions and exam past paper questions.

Thanks again, also is it true that the actual A-level maths paper you sit is much harder than the exercises from the textbook as my main weakness is application, so when i complete all the exercises from the textbook and then proceedto do questions online (application/ harder exam style ones) that's where no matter how I try i can't do the question, so what do you reccommend :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest