The Student Room Group

Indices Simplification

Attachment not found

(^photo of the question)

Hi! I've been given 3 solutions, and am asked which one is correct and why.

I know it is not B (square root of 16 is not 8) but am a bit stuck with the other two.

I thought C was the correct solution, but I heard some teachers saying it was A.

Could someone tell me if A is correct? And if it is, why?

Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
Attachment not found

(^photo of the question)

Hi! I've been given 3 solutions, and am asked which one is correct and why.

I know it is not B (square root of 16 is not 8) but am a bit stuck with the other two.

I thought C was the correct solution, but I heard some teachers saying it was A.

Could someone tell me if A is correct? And if it is, why?

Thanks!

Try plugging in some simple numbers into the original expression and the options and u can identify the correct one.

Is root(3^2 + 4^2) the same as 3+4
Original post by Shaanv
Try plugging in some simple numbers into the original expression and the options and u can identify the correct one.

Is root(3^2 + 4^2) the same as 3+4

Sorry- I'm not sure where you got that from.. Could you explain for me please?

(I do know it's not the same though 😊)
Reply 3
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
Sorry- I'm not sure where you got that from.. Could you explain for me please?

(I do know it's not the same though 😊)

Pick a value of x=1 and y=2 for example. Put this into the expression you have to simplify and record the answer. Put the same values into each of the given solutions, if one gives u the same answer then u know that is the correct answer.

The example is just one i made up that is kinda similar to ur question, for simplicity i chose easy numbers. However u should be able to apply the same knowledge to ur question.
Original post by Shaanv
Pick a value of x=1 and y=2 for example. Put this into the expression you have to simplify and record the answer. Put the same values into each of the given solutions, if one gives u the same answer then u know that is the correct answer.

The example is just one i made up that is kinda similar to ur question, for simplicity i chose easy numbers. However u should be able to apply the same knowledge to ur question.

Alright... I'll try that. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest