The Student Room Group

Spain takes charge of Catalan government after declaration of independence

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YaliaV
Billions?

:tongue:hehehehehehe
Original post by Danny Dorito
Catalan parliament votes to declare independence from Spain, just as Madrid looks set to impose direct rule.

Read full story here

What do you make of this? Are you surprised? Do you think there will be repercussion for the Catalans from the Spanish government?

The only sensible way out of this is another referendum where the police don’t attack people and it’s legally agreed with the Spanish government then let the people decide.

Everything else will be very messy and lots of upset people
Rajoy's unlimited obstinacy continues...
Original post by namelessfeelsx
I’m Spanish and all I can say is that Spain won’t be the same without Catalonia. Barcelona was the city bringing most of the money to the table due to tourism, so in theory the economy was going well thanks to Barcelona despite the economic crisis in Spain. I think Catalonia thought that they could fund their own economy instead of giving control of most of their finances to the central government in Madrid, hence why they want to go. What they don’t realise is that they will be insignificant once they start being independent. They’ll be out of the EU and with that, Europeans will not even think about stepping Catalonia because of the complexity of obtaining visas to visit the city and more. Note that I’m only talking about one of the factors that could affect Catalonia badly.

How so? It'd be up to the Catalan government to set the requirements. They could continue granting visa-free access from day one if they wanted to.
lots of you who support independence are fools, especially the scotland ones. If scotland goes independent and create their own currency (which they have to) , and let their currency free float, everyone will flock to England to work....
Original post by Retired_Messiah
This looks like it could go bad. Gonna be some dank political memes for the next couple of days tho.
Could they make it so Europeans don't need a visa? In theory?

Probably, but it’s unlikely because they expect money instead of giving out “free passes”
Probably, but it’s unlikely because they expect money instead of giving out “free passes”

Why would they be dumb enough to "expect money" when tourism is a huge part of their economy?
Original post by JamesN88
How so? It'd be up to the Catalan government to set the requirements. They could continue granting visa-free access from day one if they wanted to.

But the main reason they want to be independent is to have more money going towards them instead of the Spanish government. That means that they would probably charge for the visas as well to sustain their economy. But who knows, they might grant visa-free access... we will see.
Why would they be dumb enough to "expect money" when tourism is a huge part of their economy?

Because if they become independent they wouldn’t have any economic aid from the EU or Spain so they would of course take as much money as possible to sustain their economy don’t you think?
Because if they become independent they wouldn’t have any economic aid from the EU or Spain so they would of course take as much money as possible to sustain their economy don’t you think?

sooooo they'd want to keep the tourism going well then.

cool.
Oh God, this won’t end well...
sooooo they'd want to keep the tourism going well then.

cool.

Tourism has always been their strong point... a bit of extra money wouldn’t hurt them 🤷🏾*♀️
only 43% of the population voted in the referendum,

so the declaration of independence is illegal.
Original post by Nalk1573

I wonder who could be behind this post

rajoy.jpg
I'm just shocked by the rallies and their violence - I was in Barcelona a couple of days ago and the amount of armed police around was just plain scary
Original post by AperfectBalance
Waiting for Germany to start trying out their new tanks and planes in the upcoming civil war.

Not a civil war then...
Reply 36
Original post by Nalk1573

Those two facts are not linked: there's no "so" about it. Even if 99% had voted in the referendum, what the Catalan nationalist government attempted to do would still have been illegal.
Nothing supports independence more than seeing old ladies beaten as they tried to vote. The outcry from the EU was deafening.

As a rich region of Spain I can totally see why they want independence and I suspect a majority of their population want it.

Let's have a free and fair referendum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending