The Student Room Group

Revision help for A2 Maths and science student.

Asking for Zaman
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I want revision tips, not exam questions.
I'm also in year 13 doing bio and chem but I managed to get AAAA at AS.

My main method of revision is flash cards and past papers. Flash cards are great for remembering facts and equations. Question on one said and answer on the other. You revise while making them and can use them constantly to get answers in your head.

Past papers are extremely important for revision. You learn the kinds of questions they'll ask and how they want to word it as well as getting used to the notoriously picky mark schemes. A girl in my chem class this year memorised the text book but only got a C because she couldn't apply it. The only way you can learn this application is by doing past questions.

Hope I helped and if you have anymore questions just ask!
Reply 4
Jam an
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy
I did the same as that girl :frown: Your advice is priceless, thanks a lot. May I ask what sort of things do write on the flash cards? I once tried them, but ended up copying my notes onto them, which is pretty useless. Also regarding the past papers, where can you find them, now that AQA has removed them off their website?

This website has most of them! (Just be careful with the ads and pop ups) https://freeexampapers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=101&jsmallfib=1&dir=JSROOT/A-Level

As for the flashcards I would write things such as:
Biology
"Why do carnivores use more from their food than herbivores?"
"Plants have more indigestible material (e.g. cellulose)"

Chemistry
"What is the 'Perfect Ionic Model'?"
">An assumption in Born-Haber Cycles.
>Assumes 100% Ionic bonding and all ions
are spherical with a point charge."

Use your notes to make them but try to cut out the waffle and be concise. Break it into bite-sized chunks and only put the important bits in.
Reply 6
Original post by yeahthatonethere
This website has most of them! (Just be careful with the ads and pop ups) https://freeexampapers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=101&jsmallfib=1&dir=JSROOT/A-Level

Biology

Chemistry

Use your notes to make them but try to cut out the waffle and be concise. Break it into bite-sized chunks and only put the important bits in.

I can't thank you enough! Last question then I won't bother you :biggrin:

How often do you revise each subject? And for how long, for each session?
Original post by Nuttyy
I can't thank you enough! Last question then I won't bother you :biggrin:

How often do you revise each subject? And for how long, for each session?

Ah this is a hard one to answer! I try to revise a bit each day usually making flash cards or doing past questions when I get home (I live an hour bus ride away from my sixth form so I have less time than I would like). I focus on one subject per day usually but I don't have a set timetable except Tuesday nights me and a mate go straight to our local library from college to do work and on Sundays from midday. If you can do this its really worked for us as there's less distractions there than at home. I also tend to do a lot more on weekends as theres much more time.

Sorry I couldn't give specific numbers but I kinda just do it as I go!
Reply 8
Zemoon
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Here are some resources you will want to use:
- Chemrevise (best thing ever)
- Chemguide (for understanding the content)
- A-levelchemistry.co.uk (for practice questions, though these are slightly easier than the ones found in exams)
- Not CGP
- Your textbook
- 'Calculations for AS/A Level Chemistry - Jim Clark' (best book for calculations)
- Get a practical guide for a level chemistry from amazon. Has good method and explanations for each core practical along with sample questions and answers.

Best way to do it (I'm doing this right now) is to print out a specfication checklist, and make revision resource for each specification point. After that, practice questions. Then use past papers closer to the exams.

Maths is just practice using either past papers or textbook questions.
Reply 10
Original post by Baaah
Here are some resources you will want to use:
- Chemrevise (best thing ever)
- Chemguide (for understanding the content)
- A-levelchemistry.co.uk (for practice questions, though these are slightly easier than the ones found in exams)
- Not CGP
- Your textbook
- 'Calculations for AS/A Level Chemistry - Jim Clark' (best book for calculations)
- Get a practical guide for a level chemistry from amazon. Has good method and explanations for each core practical along with sample questions and answers.

Best way to do it (I'm doing this right now) is to print out a specfication checklist, and make revision resource for each specification point. After that, practice questions. Then use past papers closer to the exams.

Maths is just practice using either past papers or textbook questions.

"Not CGP" - rip £50 lmao

I will buy the book you mentioned regarding calculations.
Also the checklist you mentioned can be found on Kerboodle. You need an account for it. If you lot want it I can provide the checklists for Bio and Chem. Ask for specific ones because they're loads.

Ty for the help! :wink:
Maths is more about practicing than "revising". Do past papers. The sooner the better, seriously.
Reply 12
Original post by Nuttyy
"Not CGP" - rip £50 lmao

I will buy the book you mentioned regarding calculations.
Also the checklist you mentioned can be found on Kerboodle. You need an account for it. If you lot want it I can provide the checklists for Bio and Chem. Ask for specific ones because they're loads.

Ty for the help! :wink:

The book is so awesome. Has a lot of step-by-step explanations on how to tackle questions in the exam with examples and practice questions with worked answers at the end. Also suitable for any exam board

I have to checklist for the AQA chemistry syllabus. Feel free to PM me if you need it :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Baaah
The book is so awesome. Has a lot of step-by-step explanations on how to tackle questions in the exam with examples and practice questions with worked answers at the end.

I have to checklist for the AQA chemistry syllabus. Feel free to PM me if you need it :smile:

Do you have the entire thing in one document? Because that'd help me a lot. I'd love to have it please

I would PM but idk how to lol (new to the app)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Poor zaman
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Nuttyy
20171031_005457-compressed.png.jpeg

:biggrin: ty. Got it pretty cheap tbh, it's about £25 on amazon.

Congrats!

You won't regret it :smile:

And wow, you got it for £7.90. I got it for £22. RIP my money
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Has anyone got an AQA Biology checklist?
Do you make questions from textbook/notes or from like exam papers and mark schemes?

Original post by yeahthatonethere

Biology

Chemistry

Original post by Baaah
The book is so awesome. Has a lot of step-by-step explanations on how to tackle questions in the exam with examples and practice questions with worked answers at the end. Also suitable for any exam board

May you PM aswell for the chemistry check list for a level if you don’t mind
Instead of using flashcards, I use Quizlet on my phone, as it enables me to revise on the go, and if you are running short on time you can just use a revision set that someone else has made, but you can make your own. It also has a learning feature, where it tests you and tells you how well you know it, and can also put int he date of your test so it can adapt and focus your revision to the time limit. I started using it in the summer and use it on the bus every other morning for chemistry for about 10-20 minutes, and I have gone from a D to an A in 7 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending