The Student Room Group

What is an ion?

Hi im currently studying for GCSE chemistry edexcel 9-1
My specification says that an ion:An ion is an atom or group of arms with a positive or negative charge
But my revision guide question on the meaning of an ion for two mark says: An ion is a charged particles formed when an atom or group of atoms loses or gains electrons
Which should i use
ion know
Either should work but to be on the safer side go with your spec. If in doubt ask your teacher. I personally use the second but I did OCR GCSE and AQA A Level so your spec might want it different.
Reply 3
Original post by HN786
My specification says that an ion:An ion is an atom or group of arms with a positive or negative charge

I hope is doesn't say "arms".

They both mean the same thing. I prefer the second one, as it includes more information. But I'd go with the specification definition. Always go with the spec.
The one from your revision guide.
Reply 5
You could use either one. I assume your revision guide is the same specification anyway so it won’t really matter.
Reply 6
I think i should say that the practice question in the revision guide was worth 2 marks if that helps anything
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
ion know

Beat me to it :angry:
Reply 8
Original post by Pigster
I hope is doesn't say "arms".

They both mean the same thing. I prefer the second one, as it includes more information. But I'd go with the specification definition. Always go with the spec.

Yeah I'm really not sure some people saying do both some revision guide some spec so I just don't know
Original post by chanel_666
Beat me to it :angry:

You were so close only 4 hours late!!!!
Original post by HN786
Yeah I'm really not sure some people saying do both some revision guide some spec so I just don't know

The people who write the exam have their worked checked by the exam board to check it against the wording of the specification.

Revision guides are not necessarily written by anyone with anything to do with the exams or the exam board.

I could write a revision guide. That wouldn't make anything I wrote correct. It certainly wouldn't make it more correct than what the specification says.

Always go with the specification. If you find anything that seems contradictory* between the spec. and the revision guide, ask your teacher/us, but always side with the spec.

*in this case, there is no contradiction, like I said they are essentially the same thing, but the revision guide has more information in its definition.
Reply 11
Original post by Pigster
The people who write the exam have their worked checked by the exam board to check it against the wording of the specification.

Revision guides are not necessarily written by anyone with anything to do with the exams or the exam board.

I could write a revision guide. That wouldn't make anything I wrote correct. It certainly wouldn't make it more correct than what the specification says.

Always go with the specification. If you find anything that seems contradictory* between the spec. and the revision guide, ask your teacher/us, but always side with the spec.

*in this case, there is no contradiction, like I said they are essentially the same thing, but the revision guide has more information in its definition.

Yeah so i guess i will use the second one i mean the revision guide i have is endorsed by the exam board but maybe i could combine the two so it becomes: An ion is an atom or group of atoms with a positive or negative charge formed when an atom or group of atom loses or gains electrons
Original post by HN786
Yeah so i guess i will use the second one i mean the revision guide i have is endorsed by the exam board but maybe i could combine the two so it becomes: An ion is an atom or group of atoms with a positive or negative charge formed when an atom or group of atom loses or gains electrons

My only objection is that it will score no more marks than stating what the spec. states. BUT your version uses more words and would take longer to write.

I am, though, all for you understanding it to a deeper level than is required by the spec.

Quick Reply

Latest