The Student Room Group

Is government and politics easy?

Title
If you're reasonably intelligent it's quite easy. I actually have the stats of my old A2 class at school to hand:
Amount in class - 15
A* - 1 (Me lol)
A - 1
B - 4
C - 6
D - 3

I went to a low/average comprehensive school, so any reasonably intelligent person could get an A. You have to put in a decent amount of work for an A*.

Most of my class found A2 hard as we did political ideologies/philosophy which is more conceptual than just UK or US politics. so the AS average went from like a B+ to a C- at A2.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you are referring to A levels I can tell you that it’s easy for now (I just started a month ago so I don’t know how well it’s gonna go). But what’s difficult is constructing and working out opposing arguments for the essays, specially the 30 markers. Although if you have all the main points then you can work it out, but sometimes it takes time to come up with an opposite argument just from the imagination. Apart from that, if you watch the news everyday and you enjoy listening to both sides of the argument in debates then this is the subject for you!
Reply 3
Original post by GovernmentEarner
If you're reasonably intelligent it's quite easy. I actually have the stats of my old A2 class at school to hand:
Amount in class - 15
A* - 1 (Me lol)
A - 1
B - 4
C - 6
D - 3

I went to a low/average comprehensive school, so any reasonably intelligent person could get an A. You have to put in a decent amount of work for an A*.

What is the subject actually about, what do you get questioned on and is economics a good subject it gets along with? Congrats on that A* btw
Reply 4
Original post by namelessfeelsx
If you are referring to A levels I can tell you that it’s easy for now (I just started a month ago so I don’t know how well it’s gonna go). But what’s difficult is constructing and working out opposing arguments for the essays, specially the 30 markers. Although if you have all the main points then you can work it out, but sometimes it takes time to come up with an opposite argument just from the imagination. Apart from that, if you watch the news everyday and you enjoy listening to both sides of the argument in debates then this is the subject for you!

Do you enjoy it ? And how much work do you have to put in?
Original post by Mrstudies
Do you enjoy it ? And how much work do you have to put in?

I generally enjoy it but it depends on the topic as well. The topics tend to be very basic like the types of electoral systems, referendums, agree/disagree kind of topics... Although I find more enjoyable talking about the latest political affairs (which we don’t do because is not part of the subject content) certain topics are more interesting than others. In terms of how much work, you realistically have to put in a lot of work because of the essays and the amount of thinking you need to do to convey your arguments. But if you are dedicated and research often about the topic you’re doing then it shouldn’t be too stressful. Your own knowledge about politics in general, not just the news is also really important because it means that the amount of work for you would not be as much as for someone who doesn’t have a clue about politics. Hope that helps x
Reply 6
Original post by Mrstudies
Title

AS was easy for me, I was getting Ds with no revision and towards weeks before I revised and got and A, happy I dropped that **** it was boring asf. If you understand basic politics you should be fine
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Amount in class - 15
A* - 1 (Me lol)
A - 1
B - 4
C - 6
D - 3

Most of my class found A2 hard as we did political ideologies/philosophy which is more conceptual than just UK or US politics. so the AS average went from like a B+ to a C- at A2.

Is it textbook work at A2 would you say? Andrew Heywood?
Original post by MajorFader
Is it textbook work at A2 would you say? Andrew Heywood?

Yes, Andrew Heywood is amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest