The Student Room Group

Cancelled insurance?

Hi,

So basically I was meant to get a blackbox fitted to my car and the engineer only told me what time he was arriving at when he was already at my house. He sent me a text at 09:01am saying he will be there by 08:30am, and then text me fifteen minutes later saying he is at my home. I had no idea what time he was due to come in the days leading up to the date booked and received no communication at all from the company. SMART WHEELS.
Long and behold I had to go out first thing in the morning and wasn't at home when he arrived, I would have been had I known what time he was due to arrive.

So I tell the engineer that I would be back at 12 noon and would happily have my box fitted then if that is okay, he told me he cannot and that he will get in touch with the office to rebook. It turns out that the engineer clearly didn't rebook with the office, and I hadn't heard anything from either SMART WHEELS or the engineer, I just presumed that he had rebooked and I was waiting for another engineer to be available.

I have just received an email from SMART WHEELS saying that they're cancelling my policy because my box hasn't been fitted within 14 days and sent me a 7 day cancellation form stating that my insurance will end. I've literally just got insured on my first car and put down a £750 deposit, also, trying to get insured after this is going to be impossible.

What can I do?
Original post by Joshthomos
Hi,

So basically I was meant to get a blackbox fitted to my car and the engineer only told me what time he was arriving at when he was already at my house. He sent me a text at 09:01am saying he will be there by 08:30am, and then text me fifteen minutes later saying he is at my home. I had no idea what time he was due to come in the days leading up to the date booked and received no communication at all from the company. SMART WHEELS.
Long and behold I had to go out first thing in the morning and wasn't at home when he arrived, I would have been had I known what time he was due to arrive.

So I tell the engineer that I would be back at 12 noon and would happily have my box fitted then if that is okay, he told me he cannot and that he will get in touch with the office to rebook. It turns out that the engineer clearly didn't rebook with the office, and I hadn't heard anything from either SMART WHEELS or the engineer, I just presumed that he had rebooked and I was waiting for another engineer to be available.

I have just received an email from SMART WHEELS saying that they're cancelling my policy because my box hasn't been fitted within 14 days and sent me a 7 day cancellation form stating that my insurance will end. I've literally just got insured on my first car and put down a £750 deposit, also, trying to get insured after this is going to be impossible.

What can I do?

Have you tried ringing up the company directly; explaining all of this?
Reply 2
Hi,

What can I do?

It was your responsibility to rearrange the appointment. As @RoyalSheepy mentioned, calling MT to explain is your best bet, but don't expect much from them.
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
It was your responsibility to rearrange the appointment. As @RoyalSheepy mentioned, calling MT to explain is your best bet, but don't expect much from them.

I don't see how it is my responsibility when a member of their engineer team tells me he is rebooking
Reply 4
I don't see how it is my responsibility when a member of their engineer team tells me he is rebooking

Regardless of what the engineer said, the small print in your policy documents will have explicitly stated that if you miss your appointment, you must rebook it within the 14 day period.

You need to understand that the likelihood is the engineer is being outsourced by the insurance company.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Regardless of what the engineer said, the small print in your policy documents will have explicitly stated that if you miss your appointment, you must rebook it within the 14 day period.

You need to understand that the likelihood is the engineer is being outsourced by the insurance company.

I understand that he was outsourced now after ringing them, but on the day he identified as a morethan engineer. And to my knowledge the appointment was rebooked by said morethan engineer as he said this to me.

This is my argument anyway I don't know how much weight it holds I just think the whole thing is a sham and is disgusting that I have been well and truly screwed over by some idiot engineer
Reply 6
I understand that he was outsourced now after ringing them, but on the day he identified as a morethan engineer. And to my knowledge the appointment was rebooked by said morethan engineer as he said this to me.

This is my argument anyway I don't know how much weight it holds I just think the whole thing is a sham and is disgusting that I have been well and truly screwed over by some idiot engineer

Let's face it.. there'd be no problem if you had verified that the appointment had been rebooked.
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
Let's face it.. there'd be no problem if you had verified that the appointment had been rebooked.

Turns out you're wrong and MT have accepted full responsibility on behalf of their Engineer, my blackbox is being rebooked now and is being fitted sometime this week and policy not being cancelled.

Thanks for shouting down from your Ivory tower, you've been so helpful.
Reply 8
Turns out you're wrong and MT have accepted full responsibility on behalf of their Engineer, my blackbox is being rebooked now and is being fitted sometime this week and policy not being cancelled.

Thanks for shouting down from your Ivory tower, you've been so helpful.

You came to complain before speaking to the company? You're supposed to be an adult, grow up.

When you don't adhere to your side of a contract in later life, you'll face much worse backlash. Consider yourself extremely lucky that they've given you a goodwill gesture.
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom
You came to complain before speaking to the company? You're supposed to be an adult, grow up.

When you don't adhere to your side of a contract in later life, you'll face much worse backlash. Consider yourself extremely lucky that they've given you a goodwill gesture.

No, I came to seek advice because I had already spoken to the company, but here we are arguing because you can't accept that someone has called you out on being a pompous ****.

So good day my friend, I'm going to go drive my car into the sunset and enjoy the rest of my week, you continue dwelling on someone criticizing you.

Goodbye.
Reply 10
No, I came to seek advice because I had already spoken to the company, but here we are arguing because you can't accept that someone has called you out on being a pompous ****.

So good day my friend, I'm going to go drive my car into the sunset and enjoy the rest of my week, you continue dwelling on someone criticizing you.

Goodbye.

Okay... step down from your high horse - after all, you will be having a black box installed :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
Okay... step down from your high horse - after all, you will be having a black box installed :wink:

And I'm going to love every 20 miles per hour of it baby.

It's been a pleasure x
Reply 12

It's been a pleasure x

A bit of advice for you: always read the small print, and follow the procedure for the company before complaining online - mistakes happen all the time. The company prevented the cancellation of your policy with no obligation to do so - this is called a gesture of goodwill.

The situation could have been an awful lot worse, so consider yourself lucky, and tone down your attitude.

Enjoy your limited driving, and we look forward to listening to your complaints regarding your black box in the future! :smile:
Original post by IWMTom

It's been a pleasure x

I may have laughed quite hard at this thread :rofl:

Glad your issue was resolved. However, realistically, you should've rang the company ASAP. You were lucky, to say the least.
Original post by IWMTom
A bit of advice for you: always read the small print, and follow the procedure for the company before complaining online - mistakes happen all the time. The company prevented the cancellation of your policy with no obligation to do so - this is called a gesture of goodwill.

The situation could have been an awful lot worse, so consider yourself lucky, and tone down your attitude.

Enjoy your limited driving, and we look forward to listening to your complaints regarding your black box in the future! :smile:

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending