The Student Room Group

Choice of Universities for Physics/Astrophysics degree.

Hello everyone, I'm a student from Italy and I'm trying to choose what university include in my application for a Physics or (even better) Astrophysics degree. My predicted grade for the final exam is around 95-100%, which can be considered as a AAA-A*A*A in A levels (It really depends on how lucky I will be during the exam).
I'm not very familiar with the admission rates of English universities, so I wanted to know if you think that trying this universities is a little optimistic.
Imperial - Physics Bsc
Manchester - Physics with Astrophysics Bsc
Edinburgh - Astrophysics Bsc
UCL - Astrophysics Bsc
KCL - Physics With Astrophysics and Cosmology Bsc
considering that I'd like to be sure (or at least 95% sure) to be accepted at one of these at least. Thanks for helping me out :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by SeanNass
Hello everyone, I'm a student from Italy and I'm trying to choose what university include in my application for a Physics or (even better) Astrophysics degree. My predicted grade for the final exam is around 95-100%, which can be considered as a AAA-A*A*A in A levels (It really depends on how lucky I will be during the exam).
I'm not very familiar with the admission rates of English universities, so I wanted to know if you think that trying this universities is a little optimistic.
Imperial - Physics Bsc
Manchester - Physics with Astrophysics Bsc
Edinburgh - Astrophysics Bsc
UCL - Astrophysics Bsc
KCL - Physics With Astrophysics and Cosmology Bsc
considering that I'd like to be sure (or at least 95% sure) to be accepted at one of these at least. Thanks for helping me out :smile:

You can see course offer rates at Which? University:
https://university.which.co.uk/

It can be an idea to include 1 or 2 universities below you predicted grades as "insurance".

Of your choices Imperial is the most "competitive".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
So which universities would you suggest? Considering that I’m looking for a good uni which is also in a city where night/social life isn’t missing...
Reply 3
So which universities would you suggest? Considering that I’m looking for a good uni which is also in a city where night/social life isn’t missing...

I'm not a physicist, so can't really advise. Your choices seem fine.

Maybe add Bristol and Birmingham to the mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
I'm not a physicist, so can't really advise. Your choices seem fine.

Maybe add Bristol and Birmingham to the mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you very much, if anyone else has something to say is always appreciated.
Ok thank you very much, if anyone else has something to say is always appreciated.

Imperial and Manchester require A*A*A, Edinburgh is A*AA I think, UCL is AAA and King's is AAB.
As a guess you'd probably get offers from the last two at least but it really depends on other aspects of your application and your interview for Imperial and Manchester. Do you not have exact predictions?
Reply 6
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Imperial and Manchester require A*A*A, Edinburgh is A*AA I think, UCL is AAA and King's is AAB.
As a guess you'd probably get offers from the last two at least but it really depends on other aspects of your application and your interview for Imperial and Manchester. Do you not have exact predictions?

I believe my predicted grade will be around 98-100% (A*A*A) however is not unlikely that I will get a lower grade in the exam (like 95% which is A*AA or even less if I'm very unlucky).
Reply 7
Bath and Bristol would also probably be good choices
Reply 8
Original post by SK0214
Bath and Bristol would also probably be good choices

They've probably decided by now (a year later) so I'm closing this thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending