The Student Room Group

Why do some people think that a romantic relationship with no sex is a friendship?

I don't understand why people say this.

How does not having sex make a romantic relationship invalid?

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't. It depends on the couple and how they term " a romantic relationship". For some, sex is a big part of romance, a physical and emotional connection. People in this category would see sex as a component of a healthy relationship. For others, sex isn't as important. You can be in love with each other and not have sex.
Reply 2
Original post by MLPfourever

It doesn't. A movie can be said to be romantic without any sex scenes.
Reply 3

Because it's not an adult relationship in the socially accepted definition.

In the right context sex can be the greatest act of intimacy imaginable, without this feature your relationship is severely lacking.
Reply 4
Original post by Rakas21

In the right context sex can be the greatest act of intimacy imaginable, without this feature your relationship is severely lacking.

No it's not.. There's still cuddles, kisses and other forms of affection.
Sex isn't everything.
Reply 5
No it's not.. There's still cuddles, kisses and other forms of affection.
Sex isn't everything.

Not on the same level.
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
Not on the same level.

I think cuddles and sex are the same, they do the same job.
Reply 7
I think cuddles and sex are the same, they do the same job.

Are you one of these asexual people?
Reply 8
Original post by Rakas21
Are you one of these asexual people?

Yes. I'm in the middle of being asexual and sexual.
Original post by Rakas21

Not true. there will be plenty of people who are not having sex, but still consider themselves to be in an adult relationship.
Yes. I'm in the middle of being asexual and sexual.

It's a great shame that your genome has failed you. You have my condolences.

Original post by 999tigger
Not true. there will be plenty of people who are not having sex, but still consider themselves to be in an adult relationship.

As does the OP however the question here is why society at large views those who've never had sex as not being in adult relationships. Not whether the participants do.
Because it is.
Original post by Rakas21

As does the OP however the question here is why society at large views those who've never had sex as not being in adult relationships. Not whether the participants do.

Well thats a bit loaded and depends in deciding the definition of what an adult relationship is.

Id have though a couple who are engaged or dating on a regular basis are in a relationship. If they are 18+ then that would make them adults, its just not a sexual relationship.

There will also be couples who have sex but do little else that hints towards a relationship.

Where is the definition coming from?

Some people are very shallow in what they consider a relationship to be. It doesnt mean they are correct.
No Sex No Life...

Supposedly, sex is supposed to be the ultimate stage of showing someone that you "love" them.
Original post by JDieMstr
No Sex No Life...

Supposedly, sex is supposed to be the ultimate stage of showing someone that you "love" them.

I don't believe that. I believe cuddles are.
Romanic relationships have sex
Original post by JDieMstr
No Sex No Life...

True
I don't believe that. I believe cuddles are.

Don't you cuddle your family/friends? I cuddle my little sister and I'm not 'in' love with her, I have no idea how you can think that's the same kind of intimacy as sex.
Original post by annmerlinjohn27
Romanic relationships have sex

They don't all have sex in them
You can get all of your emotional needs from cuddles.
Original post by infairverona
Don't you cuddle your family/friends? I cuddle my little sister and I'm not 'in' love with her, I have no idea how you can think that's the same kind of intimacy as sex.

thats true as well

Quick Reply