The Student Room Group

2018 Cambridge History Applicants thread

Hey everyone!

I saw one of these threads for Oxford and thought I'd start one for Cambridge.

Feel free to ask questions, offer advice and don't forget to introduce yourself.

GCSE results: 8 A*s, 2 As, 2 Bs
AS results (if taken): 4 As
A Level Predictions: 2 A*s & 2 As
Which college you're applying to: Selwyn

----

Mod reminder

Please remember: Test-takers should not post test questions or discuss answers, or post the test paper(s). These restrictions will extend to discussions about exams' tested content, specific questions or question numbers and provisional test answers or mark schemes.

This, however, does not mean all discussion about these exams will be restricted: it's okay to talk about having just sat the test, or whether or not you found it difficult. What is not okay is giving away any information that might cause one student to have an unfair advantage over another.

See: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4934792
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GCSE Results: 10 A*s, 1 A
A Level Predictions: 4A*s (History, Lit, Biology and Chemistry) and an A* in EPQ
College: Peterhouse
You might find the following link interesting or perhaps scary!

It is the result of a freedom of information request for the number of A* GCSEs and predicted A level grades held by successful/rejected applicants for History at Christ's College Cambridge for the 2016 intake.

Amazing to see that someone with 11 A* grades and 45 points predicted at IB was rejected whereas someone with 2 A* grades and a comparatively low UMS was given an Offer.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/applicants_for_history_at_christ
Hi I'm Sarah and I'm applying for History at Newnham!

GCSEs : 4A* 3A 2B
A Levels (achieved as gap year student): A*AA in
History, Maths and French

Feeling quite uncertain about the HAA!
Reply 4
hey, just a quick one. how are people revising for the admissions test? I've done the practise papers, but is there anything else we can do to develop the key skills needed?
Reply 5
Original post by wysterialane
Hi I'm Sarah and I'm applying for History at Newnham!

GCSEs : 4A* 3A 2B
A Levels (achieved as gap year student): A*AA in
History, Maths and French

Feeling quite uncertain about the HAA!

I know what you mean!! I'm really nervous for it as well!!
Reply 6
Original post by Showdle
hey, just a quick one. how are people revising for the admissions test? I've done the practise papers, but is there anything else we can do to develop the key skills needed?

Just practice papers. I asked an admissions tutor and he said doing the practice papers was more than enough.
Hey guys!

I am a first-year student who has just started studying history at Cambridge uni so if anyone wants any tips I'll more than happy answer some stuff. Just tag me in a post!
Reply 8
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hey guys!

I am a first-year student who has just started studying history at Cambridge uni so if anyone wants any tips I'll more than happy answer some stuff. Just tag me in a post!

Thank you and congratulations!
How did you find the HAA when you did it and did your tutors tell you how well you did once you received an offer?
Original post by sammychu00
How did you find the HAA when you did it and did your tutors tell you how well you did once you received an offer?

I found the HAA daunting, yes, but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting to have an exam where I hadn't been able to solidly prepare for it as I would prepare for A-Level exams, and I enjoyed just being let loose on the source question! In order to get through it, I tried to keep as calm as possible and I put Cambridge into perspective: "I just have to do my best, it is only a University at the end of the day."

No, I was not told how well I did and you stop caring about how well you might have once you (or if you) get an offer. I would like to know how I did but at the same time, I'm more concerned about working towards my degree and completing my supervision reading, essays etc. :smile:

If you want another perspective (I'm also a first year historian at camb :smile:) I found the HAA dreadful and not enjoyable at all :biggrin: :wink:

I stressed loads beforehand because I felt like I wasn't doing enough prep, got in there and almost cried when I saw the sources, wrote a pretty bad essay, got out and thought 'well, that's that'.

This is less to like worry you but just to reassure anyone who is like me who might be lurking! U don't have to enjoy it guys; I'm very glad that some people do, but if you find it as awful as I did don't think it automatically places you below those who had a good time whilst doing it :smile:
Original post by Ruthie2267
If you want another perspective (I'm also a first year historian at camb :smile:) I found the HAA dreadful and not enjoyable at all :biggrin: :wink:

I stressed loads beforehand because I felt like I wasn't doing enough prep, got in there and almost cried when I saw the sources, wrote a pretty bad essay, got out and thought 'well, that's that'.

This is less to like worry you but just to reassure anyone who is like me who might be lurking! U don't have to enjoy it guys; I'm very glad that some people do, but if you find it as awful as I did don't think it automatically places you below those who had a good time whilst doing it :smile:

Original post by SteamboatMickey
I found the HAA daunting, yes, but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting to have an exam where I hadn't been able to solidly prepare for it as I would prepare for A-Level exams, and I enjoyed just being let loose on the source question! In order to get through it, I tried to keep as calm as possible and I put Cambridge into perspective: "I just have to do my best, it is only a University at the end of the day."

No, I was not told how well I did and you stop caring about how well you might have once you (or if you) get an offer. I would like to know how I did but at the same time, I'm more concerned about working towards my degree and completing my supervision reading, essays etc. :smile:

Hi, do you remember at all what structure you used for the HAA source question and did you analyse provenance? It's fine if you can't remember :smile:

Thank you, that's so reassuring! Same question as GovernmentEarner, did you do an introduction and a conclusion and if so, what did you write?

Also, out of interest, which college did you apply to?

I don't know why I found it fun okay :lol: but finding fun in it helped me control the stress :tongue: I hated it when I was practicing for it but I found it fun when I was doing it
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you, that's so reassuring! Same question as GovernmentEarner, did you do an introduction and a conclusion and if so, what did you write?

She goes to Newnham and applied there originally (and makes a decent egg and soldiers... @Ruthie2267)
Original post by GovernmentEarner
Hi, do you remember at all what structure you used for the HAA source question and did you analyse provenance? It's fine if you can't remember :smile:

Yeah, I did analyse provenance! I followed a structure whereby I came up with a point and then analysed the heck out of it like you would do at A-Level but I was a bit more daring (because I was like what have I got to lose!?) and flexible :biggrin:

Just wanted to say I did an introduction and a conclusion, I found it really hard to start (like starting off an essay is always a pain) and my conclusion was rushed as hell, but I did both.
But how do you evaluate the provenance without knowing any historical context?? 😳
(edited 6 years ago)
sorry for late replies haha I was just so engaged in an absolutely fascinating article about Mercian hegemony :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

@sammychu00 @GovernmentEarner

Yep I applied to Newnham :smile: where have you applied? (I also make absolutely amazing egg soldiers, not just decent... :wink:)

From what I can remember, I read the sources and made a quick plan of points I could compare and contrast. Then each para I did generally corresponded to one of these points. If analysis of provenance fit into a certain para (i.e. if it added/detracted validity to a certain point), I'd include it, but otherwise you could analyse it at the end (but I would defo say analyse it!)

I did like a seriously basic intro and conclusion haha. I would really advise jotting down a plan so you structure your thoughts beforehand - that makes intros much easier, bc you know what you're going to discuss :smile: then I probably did like 5 lines for a conclusion really just summarising the main points I'd talked abt, and my own personal opinion based on what the sources had told me abt what that 'topic' was like (sorry I can't go into much detail idk if my HAA paper is public yet??)

@Demesne7

Good thing about HAA is that you can say pretty much anything for that very reason :biggrin: if you don't know the context, you're forced to make (logical) guesses (sorry ""inferences"":wink: abt how it could have affected the source.

E.g. if the question is about idk the nature of a political party in a certain period, and one of the sources was emphasising the position of said party on a certain matter to its own members, you could suggest that there was growing factionalism within that meant party leadership had to reassert its stance (sorry this is a bit of a rubbish example but I can't think of anything else :':wink:). You could be completely wrong, but as you know nothing about the actual context, that is a perfectly legitimate inference that shows you're able to think critically about what the sources could mean :smile:

Honestly my main tip would be to write anything you think is viable down, even if you think it's silly. Obviously don't if it's completely tenuous, but second-guessing yourself can mean you don't discuss things that often are perfectly valid and logical arguments :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
sorry for late replies haha I was just so engaged in an absolutely fascinating article about Mercian hegemony :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

@sammychu00 @GovernmentEarner

Yep I applied to Newnham :smile: where have you applied? (I also make absolutely amazing egg soldiers, not just decent... :wink:)

From what I can remember, I read the sources and made a quick plan of points I could compare and contrast. Then each para I did generally corresponded to one of these points. If analysis of provenance fit into a certain para (i.e. if it added/detracted validity to a certain point), I'd include it, but otherwise you could analyse it at the end (but I would defo say analyse it!)

I did like a seriously basic intro and conclusion haha. I would really advise jotting down a plan so you structure your thoughts beforehand - that makes intros much easier, bc you know what you're going to discuss :smile: then I probably did like 5 lines for a conclusion really just summarising the main points I'd talked abt, and my own personal opinion based on what the sources had told me abt what that 'topic' was like (sorry I can't go into much detail idk if my HAA paper is public yet??)

@Demesne7

Good thing about HAA is that you can say pretty much anything for that very reason :biggrin: if you don't know the context, you're forced to make (logical) guesses (sorry ""inferences"") abt how it could have affected the source.

E.g. if the question is about idk the nature of a political party in a certain period, and one of the sources was emphasising the position of said party on a certain matter to its own members, you could suggest that there was growing factionalism within that meant party leadership had to reassert its stance (sorry this is a bit of a rubbish example but I can't think of anything else :')). You could be completely wrong, but as you know nothing about the actual context, that is a perfectly legitimate inference that shows you're able to think critically about what the sources could mean :smile:

Ah Ruth back at it again ❤️ :wink:

I see what you mean about inferences, thanks for that.

Did you bother evaluating whether the source was reliable? Like essentially its limitations as a primary source for understanding that particular period/issue in question. Think AS History when we had to use our own knowledge to basically roast the source for “failing to mention this/that” etc.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending