The Student Room Group

Stuck on drawing a graph (reciprocals)

Hey guys.

So I have to sketch the graph and find the points of intersect.

The graphs are g(x) =-1 and f(x) = 3/x^2 - 4/x ( where x is not 0 )

This is edexcel pure maths year 12 btw. I did the exercise on reciprocals but I have no idea how to draw this and how to work out the roots or anything. So confused on how to draw it.

Working out the points of intersects is calm , but drawing the reciprocal? help pls
bumpedty bump bump
mandems help me
image.jpg
Hey,

Do you understand this part?
Making both equations equal then multiplying by x cubed as you must make all values have x so by multiplying by x cubed, 3/x^2 becomes 3x and you then have to multiply the rest also by x cubed.
you can remind yourself of what the graphs of 1/x and 1/x2 look like here:

http://fooplot.com
Reply 5
Hi, try not to bump your threads. Honestly you'll get a reply quicker if you leave your thread unanswered. If you bump your thread then it will look like someone has alredy replied to you :smile:
Original post by TheArabEconomist
image.jpg
Hey,

Do you understand this part?
Making both equations equal then multiplying by x cubed as you must make all values have x so by multiplying by x cubed, 3/x^2 becomes 3x and you then have to multiply the rest also by x cubed.

ahhh ok :smile: tysm

Original post by Notnek
Hi, try not to bump your threads. Honestly you'll get a reply quicker if you leave your thread unanswered. If you bump your thread then it will look like someone has alredy replied to you :smile:

Didn't realise that sorry :tongue:
It's certainly not obvious how to draw it so I would consider a few things:

1. Where does the curve cross the x axis (i.e. y=0) and what happens when x is 0
2. Identify any asymptotes and consider what happens when x is +/- infinity
3. Finally find any stationary points (maxima/minima)

Quick Reply

Latest