The Student Room Group

What are your favourite car manufacturers?

Which manufacturers and which cars?

For me its Americans!

Ford: Ford GT, Ford Mustangs

Chevrolet: Chevy SS, Camaro, Corvette

Cadillac: CTS-V

Nothing beats an American heavy block V8 :tongue:

What about you?

Scroll to see replies

Audi, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo (all design wise)
Reply 2
Mazda:

RX7 FC3S
Mazda-RX-7-FC-Tuning-81.jpg
Original post by elisabeth1
Audi, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo (all design wise)

Oooo, nice choices, not many people are into Alfa Romeos! I take it you like the new Giulia(Looks beast in terms of design) :tongue:
Original post by AprilFeather
Mazda:

RX7 FC3S
Mazda-RX-7-FC-Tuning-81.jpg

Classic! Love RX7s, Mazda did a fantastic job on that car :h:
Ford: Fiesta
Reply 6
Jaguar
Original post by Steljoy
Oooo, nice choices, not many people are into Alfa Romeos! I take it you like the new Giulia(Looks beast in terms of design) :tongue:

Loving the Giulietta and Brera
Citroen Picasso,
Peugeot (204 with 1.4 HDi engine)
Citroen 2CV
Reply 9
Can't beat the luxury and smooth ride of a Jag
Ford

Had a fiesta and just got a fiesta ST. The ST makes me smile every time I'm in it.
Long list incoming:

Koenigsegg. The dream of one guy led to the creation of some of the fastest and most ground-breaking cars ever seen, just 15 years after the first car was completed (founded 1994, first car finished in 2002).

McLaren. Currently my dream supercar of choice (either that or a Lexus LFA). Combines insane performance with useability. Who said supercars can't be daily-drivers?

Aston Martin. Amazing-looking cars that are somehow both stunning and subtle. They're fast and luxurious, and they look good without attracting excessive attention.

Mazda. They offer some of the best-driving and best-looking cars in their classes, and they're pretty reasonably priced as well. I'm curious how their experiments with HCCI (Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition, a technology hoping to combine petrol-like power and emissions and diesel-like fuel consumption, torque and CO2 emissions) are going.

Mercedes. They seem to be doing pretty well right now with the E63 AMG S (my favourite current super-saloon), the AMG GTR (I was skeptical at first, but this seems to be really good) and the Project One (your answer when you're told you're only allowed a car with a 1.6).

BMW. Not so much their current cars, but their M cars from the 2000s. Specifically the E46 M3 and the E60/E61 M5. Running costs are high, but who doesn't want a 200mph luxury saloon with a 5-litre F1-derived V10 for £20k?

Original post by elisabeth1
Loving the Giulietta and Brera

I'm not a huge fan of older Alfas, but the new Giulia Quadrifoglio looks like a serious machine. It has an engine derived from the Ferrari California T/Portofino/488's V8, but it actually produces marginally more horsepower per litre than all of these cars!
Vauxhall: Corsa

Spoiler

Tesla, VW and Audi.
Reply 15
Tesla - It's taken a lot of risk to get to where they are now and I respect them for setting the example for electric vehicles. The model S puts many other hybrid and full electric manufacturers to shame. *Cough BMW i8*. The main thing stopping me getting a model S is the interior. I understand model S is just a bridge towards the model 3 and beyond thus having a complicated options list is the least of their concerns right now. However, for what is essentially a luxury saloon, it's completely lacklustre inside. The other difficulty I have with full electric is the lack of charging spots. I wouldn't be able to charge at home nor would I like to fight over a small number of charging bays (not supercharger).

Mercedes - AMG makes some of the best performing, practical and sounding V8s in the business, despite all the downsizing and turbo additions. With the new E63-S you can go from supercar matching performance to a comfortable 4 door cruiser. Not to mention improved MPG and optional RWD on the fly.
With the recent addition of GT-S and GT-R, they've also become a serious contender in the motorsports area as well.
As for everyday cars, the new A class is a major improvement and the E-class's interior has been vastly upgraded as standard. My main gripe with them is how poor a basic C class is spec'd out (Yes, you C200, C220), the interior can be pretty shameful for a 32k+ car.
(edited 6 years ago)
Bentley, Mercedes
Original post by Steljoy
Which manufacturers and which cars?

For me its Americans!

Ford: Ford GT, Ford Mustangs

Chevrolet: Chevy SS, Camaro, Corvette

Cadillac: CTS-V

Nothing beats an American heavy block V8 :tongue:

What about you?

A heavy V8 or up sounds the dogs but the Americans design them to be entirely uncontrollable. The stock level old mustangs didn't even have LSD's ffs which is why they are famous for hitting crowds. Even my focus ST (which is a beautiful motor, thanks for asking) isn't the most controllable beast but it does do nice rear end sliding so I forgive it. Having said that I love fords as they're a mix of affordability and performance - I've owned like four and they've never been a hassle and the old sierra cosworth is my dream car (either that or an e36 rally)

I like AMG - they can make mercedes monsters (although I'd never buy one due to the overpricing of parts)

Also like Nissan, mitsubishi, subaru, BMW and Rolls Royce
Mercedes,Ford,BMW
Personal cars :- Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Tesla and Volvo, not necessarily in that particular order.

Cars/Vehicles for work :- Mercedes though disappointingly they have proven to be rather unreliable of late. .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending