The Student Room Group
Original post by Hannahross1
Does anyone know if I choose to take an apprenticeship in dental nursing, how I can pursue my career into a dentist? Apparently I can do my degree as a hygienist and then a dentist degree without doing my A levels? I can't do my A levels because I need biology and I can't take that at A level. Any info on this will be helpful as I'm really stuck what to do!!

which a levels are you doing? graduate entry dentistry could be an option but if you could take biology somehow that would help massively?
Reply 2
I'm not doing my A levels that's my point!! My dentist teacher said I'd be able to get in to uni without doing them but I thought the chances were pretty slim? I'm just confused because I don't know if I should take the job as a dental nurse if there isn't anyway of career progression into denistry. My teacher told me I'd be able to do a degree as a hygienist with my diploma and from there would be able to do the dentist degree? I'm totally clueless
I'm not doing my A levels that's my point!! My dentist teacher said I'd be able to get in to uni without doing them but I thought the chances were pretty slim? I'm just confused because I don't know if I should take the job as a dental nurse if there isn't anyway of career progression into denistry. My teacher told me I'd be able to do a degree as a hygienist with my diploma and from there would be able to do the dentist degree? I'm totally clueless

If you want to be a dentist I would recommend a levels as the most direct route. I was a dental nurse and now have a place to study dentistry. I applied for foundation to health at Liverpool uni which needs 5 b grade GCSEs and is designed for people who have been out of education for 5 years. I do have a levels but no the correct ones and they weren’t essential for the course.

What qualifications do you currently have? Why don’t you go and do a levels if you want to do dentistry? There is no easy route for dental nurses to become dentists. Even to be a therapist you may need a levels.
Reply 4
I only have my GCSEs I've been looking at apprenticeships in dental nursing but don't see the point in taking one if I can't progress onto a dentist? Also I can't do the traditional a levels needed for dentistry because of my grades at gcse so what other a levels could I take?
I only have my GCSEs I've been looking at apprenticeships in dental nursing but don't see the point in taking one if I can't progress onto a dentist? Also I can't do the traditional a levels needed for dentistry because of my grades at gcse so what other a levels could I take?

Most dentistry courses will look at your GCSEs and expect mostly A and A*. You would also need to get AAA at A level including biology and chemistry to get in as it’s very competitive. You could try contacting dental schools to see if they have any advice.
I think you might be best to do the dental nursing as that could in time enable you to do your hygienist degree. After that you could then do the 4 years to become a dentist but it will end up expensive.

Could you resit some gcses so that you could do your A Levels including biology and chemistry and go straight into dentistry
My sister became a dental nurse without relevanr a levels or a degree in dentistry/dental nursing, I’m not sure what the actual process was called though. She basically went around to dentists in our area and handed out her CV to them, one of the dentists took her on and she trained in the practice whilst taking her dental exams alongside, she was very lucky though as I don’t think this happens often. She does have a levels and a degree but neither of them are relevant or helpful to dentistry.
There are Gateway schemes (like a Foundation year) that dont need Biology - for some you just need Chemistry and another science or Maths.
Some also accept BTEC Extended Diploma in Medical Sciences or Applied Science.

Latest