The Student Room Group

Why is feminism so hated in the UK

I hear so much negativity about women who class themselves as feminists, silly stereotypes and assumptions and pure ignorance.
Why does such a developed nation have such ignorant views?

Scroll to see replies

It's not really ignorance though. The modern feminist movement and most of the high profile followers go well beyond the desire for gender equality and are an ignorant group of whiny sexists. There's a reason the majority of women (the supposedly oppressed group) don't identify as feminists.
Because third-wave feminism concerns itself primarily with misandry, direct or indirect. Western feminism concerns itself with micro-aggressions and non-existent sexism and wage gaps when women in India and the middle-east are being mutilated and raped on a daily basis, yet these so-called feminists have very little to say on such a subject/
Original post by firevixen
I hear so much negativity about women who class themselves as feminists, silly stereotypes and assumptions and pure ignorance.

Delete
Because the modern western feminist movement is pretty insane, anyone who is for equality should probably just say that they are an egalitarian
"Ignorance"

Trust me, this kind of ridiculousness is just scratching at the surface...
[video="youtube;MNH0bmYT7os"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNH0bmYT7os[/video]

If you don't want to watch it, in short, she complains that women always feel cold in offices and suggests that as a compromise, the temperatures should go up while the men can scrap the suits in the office. Not that I'd be against that idea, but the it's a very dumb solution (why can't those who are cold simply wear another layer?) and an incredibly stupid thing to complain about...
(edited 6 years ago)
Because most british men are bitter beta males who wish they were alpha males therefore these are the type of men who despise feminists the most.
No one disagrees with equal rights for men and women, I think the issue is "third wave feminism"
lmao people want equality, just not the idea of feminazis.
Inb4 "it's not needed, they should look to countries where it's needed". lulz
Original post by TheMcSame
"Ignorance"

Trust me, this kind of ridiculousness is just scratching at the surface...
[video="youtube;MNH0bmYT7os"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNH0bmYT7os[/video]

If you don't want to watch it, in short, she complains that women always feel cold in offices and suggests that as a compromise, the temperatures should go up while the men can scrap the suits in the office. Not that I'd be against that idea, but the it's a very dumb solution (why can't those who are cold simply wear another layer?) and an incredibly stupid thing to complain about...

I almost lost it when she talked about common sense 😂😂 Oh the irony.

I also found it ironic when she talked about women not being allowed to be fashionable at work but then at the end talking about men and the fact that they are usually in suits regardless of the temperature. So men should be in T-shirts and formal trousers whilst women should be allowed to dress fashionable with sandals, right?
It's POINT 👏 LESS! 👏 oh y'all don't want me to get into it today 😂...because I will.
Depends where you are really. In a girls school, they are ALL feminists and they dont realise till they leave. Boys schools tend be anti-feminist without even realising. I should know, went to both types and have friends who have been to one or both
Original post by firevixen

"Feminism" covers a wide range of things, but the main type of "feminist" people hear about are the crazy ones saying all men are evil, all baby boys should be castrated, that men cannot suffer abuse or discrimination just cos they are men blah blah blah. There are so many nuts conspiracy theories that are related to feminism and the media and people just can't help but share. "Real" feminism and more legitimate issues aren't as interesting so don't get as much attention.
It's those feminists who are giving others that bad reputation and making people think all feminists are crazy.
Original post by Kindred
"Feminism" covers a wide range of things, but the main type of "feminist" people hear about are the crazy ones saying all men are evil, all baby boys should be castrated, that men cannot suffer abuse or discrimination just cos they are men blah blah blah. There are so many nuts conspiracy theories that are related to feminism and the media and people just can't help but share. "Real" feminism and more legitimate issues aren't as interesting so don't get as much attention.
It's those feminists who are giving others that bad reputation and making people think all feminists are crazy.

I have never met or seen anyone write baby boys should be castrated.

But you are quite right. There is one woman who says men should be controlled or whatever, and that is what is picked up and that is what people call feminism.

It's disingenuous.
Original post by Anonymous
Depends where you are really. In a girls school, they are ALL feminists and they dont realise till they leave. Boys schools tend be anti-feminist without even realising. I should know, went to both types and have friends who have been to one or both

I wonder why.
people like these labels and use them usually are just doing it for attention which is a bad reason to be a feminist as it shows you don't really care and just want the social label
Reply 17
Original post by yungaheartz
Because most british men are bitter beta males who wish they were alpha males therefore these are the type of men who despise feminists the most.

you're implying alpha males have no problems with feminists but the truth is an alpha male would be a feminist's worst nightmare in a relationship

feminists tend to be a lot more verbally aggressive than your typical woman and if coupled with an alpha male they simply would just clash as an alpha male usually holds and conforms to typical gender roles..

A strong minded feminist would need to date a beta or omega male. Someone submissive who will put up with her dominant personality........
Original post by yudothis
I have never met or seen anyone write baby boys should be castrated.

But you are quite right. There is one woman who says men should be controlled or whatever, and that is what is picked up and that is what people call feminism.

It's disingenuous.

It was a fb post or something that I read a couple of years ago which was pretty much a woman saying if she had a boy she would do this and that because men are evil.
I did try to find it so I didn't sound like I was just making things up, but I can't.

Problem is it's such an open term that anybody can use it to describe their thoughts. That can be people who genuinely want equality and for certain inequalities to be fixed, but it can also be people who just hate men and are frankly sexist themselves.

There are even cases of women laughing at and denying male rape victims or even saying they deserved it just for being male.
People can claim that sexist bs as feminism and after a while people start to hate the term because it's always used in such a dumb way.
Bit like some medical terms that have since become unacceptable to say because of how they were and are used to discriminate- think R and S words.
Original post by Kindred
It was a fb post or something that I read a couple of years ago which was pretty much a woman saying if she had a boy she would do this and that because men are evil.
I did try to find it so I didn't sound like I was just making things up, but I can't.

Problem is it's such an open term that anybody can use it to describe their thoughts. That can be people who genuinely want equality and for certain inequalities to be fixed, but it can also be people who just hate men and are frankly sexist themselves.

There are even cases of women laughing at and denying male rape victims or even saying they deserved it just for being male.
People can claim that sexist bs as feminism and after a while people start to hate the term because it's always used in such a dumb way.
Bit like some medical terms that have since become unacceptable to say because of how they were and are used to discriminate- think R and S words.

No idea what R and S is.

But those women are just inherently bitter and have suffered pain. Can't blame them much for their thoughts, but it's not feminism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending