The Student Room Group

A-level Maths help Graphs!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks again, also is it true that the actual A-level maths paper you sit is much harder than the exercises from the textbook as my main weakness is application, so when i complete all the exercises from the textbook and then proceedto do questions online (application/ harder exam style ones) that's where no matter how I try i can't do the question, so what do you reccommend :smile:

na its the same thing. and use mathsandphysicstutor :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Notnek
Drawing cubics is part of OCR C1.

LOLI didnt think it was, well i dont think there was a cubic graph last year.
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks but how is the answer + or - root3
As it only gives one answer?

It will only give you a positive value on your calculator, but, (3) squared is the same as (-3) squared, as a positive multiplied by a positive is positive and a negative multiplied by a negative is also a positive. That's why there are 2 answers. Hope it helped :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks again, also is it true that the actual A-level maths paper you sit is much harder than the exercises from the textbook as my main weakness is application, so when i complete all the exercises from the textbook and then proceedto do questions online (application/ harder exam style ones) that's where no matter how I try i can't do the question, so what do you reccommend :smile:

On average an exam question will be harder than a textbook question because it will apply a lot of knowledge that you will have learnt in a particular topic or combine more than one topics. Plus exam questions are often longer than textbook questions. You will need to practice lots of exam questions to become confident with them. At this stage don't worry too much if you're finding them hard.

It's good to start doing exam questions early and maybe even try them after finishing a topic if you feel like a topic is going well for you. The TSR maths forum will always be here if you need help with anything when your teacher is not around :smile:
Original post by Notnek
On average an exam question will be harder than a textbook question because it will apply a lot of knowledge that you will have learnt in a particular topic or combine more than one topics. Plus exam questions are often longer than textbook questions. You will need to practice lots of exam questions to become confident with them. At this stage don't worry too much if you're finding them hard.

It's good to start doing exam questions early and maybe even try them after finishing a topic if you feel like a topic is going well for you. The TSR maths forum will always be here if you need help with anything when your teacher is not around :smile:

Hi, but the problem is that I can't really find many exam style questions, even physics and maths tutor has 'workbook' sort of questions?
Original post by mansnothot
na its the same thing. and use mathsandphysicstutor :smile:

I like your username, big shanq yeah :wink:
Reply 46
Original post by GCSE 9
Hi, but the problem is that I can't really find many exam style questions, even physics and maths tutor has 'workbook' sort of questions?

There are loads of exam questions by topic here on Physicsandmathstutor and you'll also find questions by topic on Examsolutions (with accompanying videos which are excellent). Of course these are all past paper questions from the old spec but the difficulty level will be similar.
Original post by GCSE 9
I like your username, big shanq yeah :wink:

looool big shanq. no i think its big shaq :rolleyes:
Original post by GCSE 9
Thanks, two things :smile:
1) Are the textbook exercises enough for maths, or do you also reccommend further maths revision such as: physicsandmathstutor worksheets?
2) Do you reccommend making notes for maths, i'm making them for stats because you kinda have to but what about for pure maths (e.g. formulas and answers to v.hard questions)

for stats I did S1 and got 100 ums and am currently doing s2 :smile:. I'd say buy a textbook for all the important notes that you may need to know as that's what I did. But remember this is maths at the end of the day so your exam will mainly revolve around calculations with only a few marks revolving around some wordy answers that will test your understanding .
Thanks everyone :wink:
Reply 50
Please keep the thread on topic. Thanks.
Original post by mansnothot
looool big shanq. no i think its big shaq :rolleyes:

The ting goes skrrrrrrrr pap, pap, ka-ka-ka. Skibiki-pap-pap, and a pu-pu-pudrrrr-boom. Skya, du-du-ku-ku-dun-dun. Poom, poom. You dun know,
Original post by RedGiant
The ting goes skrrrrrrrr pap, pap, ka-ka-ka. Skibiki-pap-pap, and a pu-pu-pudrrrr-boom. Skya, du-du-ku-ku-dun-dun. Poom, poom. You dun know,

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest