The Student Room Group

BMAT Help!

Hi, I have been practising BMAT Questions and on some days I do better than others. I am still not getting high BMAT Scores if i'm lucky I get average BMAT Scores on the past papers - I have done all of the past papers from 2009 to 2014 however I'm still not doing as well as I should be. I got A* in all of the sciences at GCSE and an A in maths however I'm still getting the questons wrong! I didn't do well on the UKCAT so need to smash BMAT! Please help! I dont know what i'm going to do?!This is my dream and i'd really appreciate any help.Thank you in advance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Go through each and every past paper that you have done for section 1 and 2. Identify any trends in the mistakes you have made, or for that matter particular areas in section 2 which you found difficult. Find solutions to all questions you answered incorrectly and revise difficult topics for section 2 using the assumed knowledge guide. Try and use a technique when answering questions e.g. for section 1 read the question the read the passage and then eliminate any answers which aren't suitable given what the question asks. For section 2, identify the knowledge you need for the question and select what is relevant from whatever information is given. Then apply your knowledge to the question accordingly. Hope this helps in some way.
Reply 2
Original post by RevisionGuide
Go through each and every past paper that you have done for section 1 and 2. Identify any trends in the mistakes you have made, or for that matter particular areas in section 2 which you found difficult. Find solutions to all questions you answered incorrectly and revise difficult topics for section 2 using the assumed knowledge guide. Try and use a technique when answering questions e.g. for section 1 read the question the read the passage and then eliminate any answers which aren't suitable given what the question asks. For section 2, identify the knowledge you need for the question and select what is relevant from whatever information is given. Then apply your knowledge to the question accordingly. Hope this helps in some way.

Thank you very much! I'm looking through the guide however there is so much to go through and BMAT is on thursday so i'm very anxious as to how I'm going to cover it all! Any tips as to how I can cover all of this info quickly or any tricks that BMAT use that I can look out for? I've also done a variety of TSA papers - unfortunately I'm still making a large number of mistakes on section 1.

Thank you again :smile:
Original post by SL5
Thank you very much! I'm looking through the guide however there is so much to go through and BMAT is on thursday so i'm very anxious as to how I'm going to cover it all! Any tips as to how I can cover all of this info quickly or any tricks that BMAT use that I can look out for? I've also done a variety of TSA papers - unfortunately I'm still making a large number of mistakes on section 1.

Thank you again :smile:
Well I started my BMAT revision a while back ( like a month ish ago) and it took me quite a while to grasp the techniques etc. Personally, I did not do many TSA papers, I mainly focused on the actual BMAT papers for sec 1 and I have a book with 800 questions and also had many tips and solutions for each question. If its critical thinking you are having difficulty with, then there are books out there which can help. As for problem solving, there are some useful tips on BBC bitesize which you can find here https://www.bbc.co.uk/education/topics/z388pbk

For section 2 maths and physics , try and cut corners and I will recommend you use the given choices to your advantage. Some of the answers will be too far away from the working you have done and this can make it pretty obvious what the answers are. As for Biology, all I can say is learn all the topics especially Homeostasis and cell division. For chemistry, practise balancing difficult equations under 1 minute as this can help a lot and also know basic formulas such as 'mass = mr x moles' and 'moles = concentration x volume' etc. Don't spend too long on individual questions (limit to 1 min) and try and minimise the options given to make your chance of getting the question right higher.
Original post by SL5
Hi, I have been practising BMAT Questions and on some days I do better than others. I am still not getting high BMAT Scores if i'm lucky I get average BMAT Scores on the past papers - I have done all of the past papers from 2009 to 2014 however I'm still not doing as well as I should be. I got A* in all of the sciences at GCSE and an A in maths however I'm still getting the questons wrong! I didn't do well on the UKCAT so need to smash BMAT! Please help! I dont know what i'm going to do?!This is my dream and i'd really appreciate any help.Thank you in advance.

where can you find bmat or ukcat past papers?
i’m nowhere near the stage of applying for medicine just yet but i’d like to see the kind of questions that are asked and maybe i could have a go when i’m bored haha!
Reply 5
Original post by RevisionGuide
Well I started my BMAT revision a while back ( like a month ish ago) and it took me quite a while to grasp the techniques etc. Personally, I did not do many TSA papers, I mainly focused on the actual BMAT papers for sec 1 and I have a book with 800 questions and also had many tips and solutions for each question. If its critical thinking you are having difficulty with, then there are books out there which can help. As for problem solving, there are some useful tips on BBC bitesize which you can find here https://www.bbc.co.uk/education/topics/z388pbk

For section 2 maths and physics , try and cut corners and I will recommend you use the given choices to your advantage. Some of the answers will be too far away from the working you have done and this can make it pretty obvious what the answers are. As for Biology, all I can say is learn all the topics especially Homeostasis and cell division. For chemistry, practise balancing difficult equations under 1 minute as this can help a lot and also know basic formulas such as 'mass = mr x moles' and 'moles = concentration x volume' etc. Don't spend too long on individual questions (limit to 1 min) and try and minimise the options given to make your chance of getting the question right higher.

Thank you very much! Are you doing BMAT this year ?
Reply 6
Original post by clouddbubbles
where can you find bmat or ukcat past papers?
i’m nowhere near the stage of applying for medicine just yet but i’d like to see the kind of questions that are asked and maybe i could have a go when i’m bored haha!

On the UKCAT website and BMAT website :smile:
Original post by SL5
On the UKCAT website and BMAT website :smile:

thank you!
Reply 8
thank you!

No problem, what year are you in ?
Original post by SL5
No problem, what year are you in ?

i’m in year 10 :smile:
i think i’d like to do medicine at uni, but i might decide to do sports science instead - i have a little time to make my mind up though!
Reply 10
i’m in year 10 :smile:
i think i’d like to do medicine at uni, but i might decide to do sports science instead - i have a little time to make my mind up though!

Oh wow you have ages! applying to medicine is tiring - believe me however i've always wanted to do it so hopefully in the end it'll be worth it.

Also try hard in GCSE's they actually matter regardless of whatever anyone else says! Many universities for medicine look at GCSE's and rank you so make sure you get high grades because that'll put you in good stead against other candidates :smile:
Original post by SL5
Oh wow you have ages! applying to medicine is tiring - believe me however i've always wanted to do it so hopefully in the end it'll be worth it.

Also try hard in GCSE's they actually matter regardless of whatever anyone else says! Many universities for medicine look at GCSE's and rank you so make sure you get high grades because that'll put you in good stead against other candidates :smile:

yeah! kinda glad i’ve got time!

thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by SL5
Thank you very much! Are you doing BMAT this year ?

Yes I am taking the BMAT for 2018 entry :biggrin:
Reply 13
Me too, do you feel prepared ? Where have you applied to ? 😱😭😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending