The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by upbeat4
Yeah, that day just didn’t go well at all, I wasn’t feeling my best, I’ll just have to work harder to achieve an A* in the Maths A level. 🙂

Hey, no worries. Everyone has bad days :smile:. I had one bad exam with my Maths exams.

I got 10A* and 2As at gcse and for my maths and further maths AS exams I almost did extremely well:
C1: 100ums
C2: 100ums
m1:100ums
s1:100ums
m2:95ums
fp1: 73 ums

I had a bad day in the fp1 exam as you can see as normally I would be able to get 100 or close to 100 ums. But on average I got an A in both :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Anonymouspsych
It wouldn't cross the y axis at 1 but would approach it both both the positive and negative direction. This can be shown by using the small angle approximation. you know for small values of x sin x is approximately equal to x

Hence limit as x tends to 0 of the function = x/x = 1

Original post by yukeming
Well yeah but that requires particular knowledge about the sine curve and I cannot apply that to graphs like lnx/exp . Actually it does tend to 1 even if it doesn't intercept it

Another good example will be sin square x over x.

It wouldn't cross the y axis at 1 but would approach it both both the positive and negative direction. This can be shown by using the small angle approximation. you know for small values of x sin x is approximately equal to x

Hence limit as x tends to 0 of the function = x/x = 1

Original post by AHappyStudent
For f(x) = sin(x) / x, f(0) is undefined. It doesn't intercept at 1.

I would state for small values of x, sin(x) is roughly equal to x, hence lim( sin(x) / x ) as x -> 0 = 1.

Yeah that still requires particular knowledge of the sine function. If I were to ask for esoteric functions like (sin(1/x))/x such particular knowledge plays no role
Woah, that’s an impressive set of results! Congratulations! Are you applying for Imperial this year? If so good luck! 😊
Yeah that still requires particular knowledge of the sine function. If I were to ask for esoteric functions like (sin(1/x))/x such particular knowledge plays no role

Yes in that case they want to see you tackle through the problem and persist through. The whole idea of the interviews is not to see how much you know and how many questions you can answer correctly. The interviewers want to see you tackle through something that you find challenging and speak out your thoughts in doing so.
Original post by upbeat4
Woah, that’s an impressive set of results! Congratulations! Are you applying for Imperial this year? If so good luck! 😊

Hey, thanks! Yes I am applying to Imperial for Mechanical Engineering and at Cambridge for General Engineering- just preparing for the ENGAA admissions test currently!

Also I wouldn't worry about your chances into getting into Imperial; your gcses are impeccable compared to the cohort of applicants for medicine that will apply and hence you will very likely get an interview and offer I'd think. Of course having said that, you need to keep the standard high for your A Levels and do well at admissions tests and interviews :smile: Good Luck!
Yes in that case they want to see you tackle through the problem and persist through. The whole idea of the interviews is not to see how much you know and how many questions you can answer correctly. The interviewers want to see you tackle through something that you find challenging and speak out your thoughts in doing so.

That's what I'm worried about. I have studied math and physics to college level. It's really not my fault that I find no challenge in tackling those problems. I did explain my thoughts though.
That's what I'm worried about. I have studied math and physics to college level. It's really not my fault that I find no challenge in tackling those problems. I did explain my thoughts though.

From what you've said so far, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You are clearly very bright and your ability is really strong in the subject and if you were able to answer the questions in the interviews through speaking out your thoughts and being yourself, you've done the right thing! It is quite important to remember that the interviewer could appear to be bored and not so impressed after your interview, but that says absolutely NOTHING about your performance- they will assess you fairly and holistically and can't use you not having a particular qualification against you.

Good Luck :smile:
From what you've said so far, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You are clearly very bright and your ability is really strong in the subject and if you were able to answer the questions in the interviews through speaking out your thoughts and being yourself, you've done the right thing! It is quite important to remember that the interviewer could appear to be bored and not so impressed after your interview, but that says absolutely NOTHING about your performance- they will assess you fairly and holistically and can't use you not having a particular qualification against you.

Good Luck :smile:

That's very kind of you to say that. (Although you seem to be giving adhoc explanations) thx and good luck!
3A's at AS and predicted A*AA in Maths Chemistry and Physics
Applied for Chemical engineering (Meng)
Original post by upbeat4
Just out of interest, would I stand a chance at Imperial? I’m in Year 12.

I’m interested in doing Medicine

GCSE
12A*

FSMQ
Maths B

A levels
Biology
Chemistry
Music
Maths

Imperial ranks applicants in terms of BMAT score. They're put into 3 bands (there's a 4th, but that's for disadvantaged background applicants). Getting high 5s and a 3B IIRC puts you in to band 1.

GCSEs and AS Levels are not considered
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Imperial ranks applicants in terms of BMAT score. They're put into 3 bands (there's a 4th, but that's for disadvantaged background applicants). Getting high 5s and a 3B IIRC puts you in to band 1.

GCSEs and AS Levels are not considered

I did remember taking it a few years ago as a challenge. I had zero prep and scored 70% if I'm not wrong. I find it pretty surprising that the top colleges see 5 to 6 points as a good score though.
Original post by GausIsTheBoss
yeah Im doing the same thing.

How far are you through the PATs and the website?

There is also a book I've just found however was told not to get pdf and I'm unsure if it would come in time its called ultimate guide to engaa(or NSAA if you want that)
Original post by bruh2132
There is also a book I've just found however was told not to get pdf and I'm unsure if it would come in time its called ultimate guide to engaa(or NSAA if you want that)

Thanks mate, I'll have a look at that
Original post by sunsetyellow
Applying for Joint Maths and Computing

AS results: AAAA (maths, further maths, physics, computing)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*a*a (maths, further maths, physics, epq, additional further maths AS) - since the school doesn't offer computing A2, which is explained in my reference

So overall I'll only have three full A levels as they are the only three offered in my school. Would doing three and not four A levels be considered a disadvantage?

Second year JMC here, JMC is a very intensive course and the admissions tutor will be keen to see that you can handle the workload. In terms of getting an offer it shouldn't be a disadvantage, though if you do get one I would expect it to include STEP.

I bought the Kindle version of the book. It's plain terrible other than the fact that most mathematical expression doesn't show up at all. The contents are plain terrible. The question has conceptual errors and such. If you are interested I can share it with you. Just pm me
Submitted my Imperial application about two weeks ago for biomedical sciences! I take the IB and my predicted score was 43/45 with core points from the extended essay and TOK. My predicted grades for each subject are as follows:Bio HL: 7English HL: Lang and Lit 7Chemistry HL: 6Psychology HL: 7Spanish SL: 7 Maths SL: 6Seventh subject:Art SL:6I'm nervous my Maths predicted score is lower than the typical Imperial applicant but considering my area of interest is biology based I'm hoping it won't be a deciding factor. Alongside academics, I am president of the medical society at my school and Vice President of the Art society. I'm also a member of five Honor societies although I'm not sure means much in the U.K. Outside of school I've collected over 100 hours of volunteer experience at my local animal shelter and I have conducted independent research in Belize for the local fisheries department.
Course: Medical Biosciences
GCSE: Mostly As
AS: AAAA in Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Spanish
A-level (achieved): A*A*AA respectively

I'm learning A level maths this year so I'm not the only person who doesn't know calculus at Imperial, statistics might also come in handy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 317
what was the chemistry test they gave you at imperial like? not sure whether to revise

I don't know why but I didn't take that test- maybe I can't attend the interview at Imperial cuz I'm an international student.
I really want to ask them why I didn't take it- I have an offer so no risk of asking it😂
Original post by Najung
I applied for chemistry to Imperial, Nottingham, Bath, Bristol, and Cambridge!
Only the final shot is left- Cambridge!

Hi! Congrats to you getting the offers! I'm just wondering for the Imperial admissions, did you actually take the 'critical thinking test'?( hopefully this question doesn't break any rules or policies... I just want a yes/no answer please)
Original post by Najung
If I get into Cambridge, then it will be my first choice.
If I don't, I am not entirely sure- either Bath or Imperial I guess

I guess its better to have more choices available to you than no choice!! :biggrin: