The Student Room Group

What have been your worst cooking mistakes?

Mine was definitely the time I made jam. It was a nightmare. I've never been one for baking :laugh: You can read about that here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4379496#primary_content

Tell me about yours? :colone:

Scroll to see replies

I've been very open about it.

Dumb mistake a few years ago..

Was trying to learn cooking so observed my mum make a simple omelette.

I used one or two eggs instead of 3 or four and put 6 teaspoons/tablespoons of salt in. It was HORRIBLE.
I think my worst cooking experience was in one of my cookery classes in secondary school, making macaroni cheese. I had a really nasty teacher who terrified everyone, and I was so anxious in this particular lesson that I forgot to put in the salt... and the cheese. When I took it home later my mum put it by the windowsill, and then accidentally knocked the basil plant into it, getting my macaroni no-cheese covered in soil. I've never made it again since, it clearly wasn't meant to be :lol:

I also remember my grandma telling me that she once put washing up liquid into her pasta sauce instead of olive oil :tongue:
Reply 3
Mine has to be the time where I was baking a birthday cheesecake for a friend and added the double cream in too fast and the cream cheese never got properly mixed and the cheesecake didn’t set 😭 The worst part was I promised it would be a cofffee one but it didn’t taste like coffee at all and as the coffee is brown in colour in the end my cheesecake looked like a piece of crap😂
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Mine was definitely the time I made jam. It was a nightmare. I've never been one for baking :laugh: You can read about that here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4379496#primary_content

Tell me about yours? :colone:

How did that happen :tongue: , when I made jam, I did it in a pan, it barely boiled (I'm thinking I made something that wasn't jam now).

I made a cheese sauce which curdled and dropped the cake mix just before putting in the oven.
Original post by NotNotBatman
How did that happen :tongue: , when I made jam, I did it in a pan, it barely boiled (I'm thinking I made something that wasn't jam now).

I made a cheese sauce which curdled and dropped the cake mix just before putting in the oven.

The recipe said to boil it, but I later learned I was supposed to simmer it more than anything. The bubbles when it boiled were massive and burst so violently!

Oh no! Dropping the cake mix must have been particularly heart breaking :tongue:
Made some banana bread, and forgot the eggs! Wasn't that bad in the end but bitterly disappointing as I'd been craving it for ages!
While cooking fudge thinks: "that looks nice"
*sticks finger in*
:no:
(edited 6 years ago)
The recipe said to boil it, but I later learned I was supposed to simmer it more than anything. The bubbles when it boiled were massive and burst so violently!

Oh no! Dropping the cake mix must have been particularly heart breaking :tongue:

Oh wow... it did look quite bad, how was the clean up? :redface:

It was heartbreaking and it was a nice marble cake, or at least it was going to be...
Original post by Zuhra110
Mine has to be the time where I was baking a birthday cheesecake for a friend and added the double cream in too fast and the cream cheese never got properly mixed and the cheesecake didn’t set 😭 The worst part was I promised it would be a cofffee one but it didn’t taste like coffee at all and as the coffee is brown in colour in the end my cheesecake looked like a piece of crap😂

Nooo! I bet you guys can have a good laugh about it now though right? :tongue: A similar thing happened to my first pumpkin pie so that didn't set right either, so sad :laugh:

Original post by Leviathan1741
I think my worst cooking experience was in one of my cookery classes in secondary school, making macaroni cheese. I had a really nasty teacher who terrified everyone, and I was so anxious in this particular lesson that I forgot to put in the salt... and the cheese. When I took it home later my mum put it by the windowsill, and then accidentally knocked the basil plant into it, getting my macaroni no-cheese covered in soil. I've never made it again since, it clearly wasn't meant to be :lol:

I also remember my grandma telling me that she once put washing up liquid into her pasta sauce instead of olive oil :tongue:

The salt, fair enough, but the cheese? :laugh: What did it look/taste like without the cheese? Did you get to try it before its untimely demise?

Oh no, did she realise before tasting it? :tongue:

Original post by sulaimanali
I've been very open about it.

Dumb mistake a few years ago..

Was trying to learn cooking so observed my mum make a simple omelette.

I used one or two eggs instead of 3 or four and put 6 teaspoons/tablespoons of salt in. It was HORRIBLE.

Wow, that's a lot of salt!
Reply 10
Microwaving the naan bread when I was supposed to put it in the oven
Reply 11
Set fire to the kitchen by microwaving a croissant too long
Making choux pastry and i didnt cook the mixture long enough on the hob so when i baked it, it didnt rise :frown:
Tuna hash, recipe in one of my cook books and took 4x as long to make as stated and was bland as ****. I have coloured over the entire page to make sure that I don't make it again.
being forced to make sheperds pie in food tech yuck
The salt, fair enough, but the cheese? :laugh: What did it look/taste like without the cheese? Did you get to try it before its untimely demise?

Oh no, did she realise before tasting it? :tongue:

No I didn't actually try any of it, it looked terrible :lol:

I'm not sure, but I hope she did! :biggrin:
I have burnt rice and pistachio pudding before. :hide:
Original post by ForestCat
Made some banana bread, and forgot the eggs! Wasn't that bad in the end but bitterly disappointing as I'd been craving it for ages!

No, there's nothing worse than really looking forward to something like that and really craving it only for it to not live up to what you'd expected! Have you tried again since?

Original post by Sabertooth
While cooking fudge thinks: "that looks nice"
*sticks finger in*
:no:

Oh no, that's definitely not good :frown: I hope you were okay! That definitely sounds like something I'd do. I distinctly remember burning my fingers trying to tast the jam :no:

Original post by NotNotBatman
Oh wow... it did look quite bad, how was the clean up? :redface:

It was heartbreaking and it was a nice marble cake, or at least it was going to be...

A nightmare :laugh: It took a week to clean, a few days being soaked in professional oven cleaning products. Even a year later we occasionally find bits of jam across the room from that night, like in cracks between the skirting boards and the wall and stuff, and even in the next room :yucky: The bit of eyebrow that I lost to that jam did eventually grow back though :moon:

Yes, I imagine it would've looked a lot better baked/not on the floor :sadnod:

Original post by Xenice
Microwaving the naan bread when I was supposed to put it in the oven

I do stuff like this :colondollar:

Original post by Reue
Set fire to the kitchen by microwaving a croissant too long

How long?! What happened? I have so many questions!
No, there's nothing worse than really looking forward to something like that and really craving it only for it to not live up to what you'd expected! Have you tried again since?

Oh no, that's definitely not good :frown: I hope you were okay! That definitely sounds like something I'd do. I distinctly remember burning my fingers trying to tast the jam :no:

A nightmare :laugh: It took a week to clean, a few days being soaked in professional oven cleaning products. Even a year later we occasionally find bits of jam across the room from that night, like in cracks between the skirting boards and the wall and stuff, and even in the next room :yucky: The bit of eyebrow that I lost to that jam did eventually grow back though :moon:

Yes, I imagine it would've looked a lot better baked/not on the floor :sadnod:

I do stuff like this :colondollar:

It was my standard banana bread recipe so it usually works out ok. I don't like bananas that much so don't often buy them. Hence rarely have any super ripe ones for making cake, nor the time actually. But thinking about it has made me crave it again so may have to buy some bananas.
Reply 19

It was when I was a kid. We had a microwave with a dialer timer but it did'nt come on until you'd turned it round 'enough' which was about about 15mins.. so if you wanted less than 15mins you had to count it yourself. I wanted 30 seconds so set it to 15mins then started counting but got distracted by the TV so walked out of the kitcen and closed the door. Went back at the end of the program and the kitchen was totally filled with smoke. Casually went upstairs to my parents who were still in bed and calmly announced that the kitchen was on fire.

Never seen them get out of bed so quickly!

Quick Reply

Latest