The Student Room Group

What have been your worst cooking mistakes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelseadagg3r
Oh no, that's definitely not good :frown: I hope you were okay! That definitely sounds like something I'd do. I distinctly remember burning my fingers trying to tast the jam :no:

It wasn't just a little bit either, I poked my finger right in. :facepalm:

Fudge is 115C. Jam sets at 105C. I make jam frequently (btw your picture looks horrifying, I can't imagine cleaning that! :eek: ) and like to pull the bits off the spoon as it sets but this fudge, oh man it was such a bad idea. All the scolding hot fudge stuck to my finger too so I was in agony waving my hand around the kitchen trying to cool it down then I had over a week of not being able to click my mouse, type or write. Lesson definitely learned. :sigh:
Putting pineapple on pizza was my biggest mistake and I still regret it today
Original post by ForestCat
It was my standard banana bread recipe so it usually works out ok. I don't like bananas that much so don't often buy them. Hence rarely have any super ripe ones for making cake, nor the time actually. But thinking about it has made me crave it again so may have to buy some bananas.

Now I'm craving it too :laugh:

Original post by Reue
It was when I was a kid. We had a microwave with a dialer timer but it did'nt come on until you'd turned it round 'enough' which was about about 15mins.. so if you wanted less than 15mins you had to count it yourself. I wanted 30 seconds so set it to 15mins then started counting but got distracted by the TV so walked out of the kitcen and closed the door. Went back at the end of the program and the kitchen was totally filled with smoke. Casually went upstairs to my parents who were still in bed and calmly announced that the kitchen was on fire.

Never seen them get out of bed so quickly!

Oh wow, I can just imagine how I'd shoot out of bed if I were told the kitchen was on fire. I've definitely been guilty of this with the oven though!
Original post by Sabertooth
It wasn't just a little bit either, I poked my finger right in. :facepalm:

Fudge is 115C. Jam sets at 105C. I make jam frequently (btw your picture looks horrifying, I can't imagine cleaning that! :eek: ) and like to pull the bits off the spoon as it sets but this fudge, oh man it was such a bad idea. All the scolding hot fudge stuck to my finger too so I was in agony waving my hand around the kitchen trying to cool it down then I had over a week of not being able to click my mouse, type or write. Lesson definitely learned. :sigh:

Oh no, that sounds like it must have been so painful!

Original post by TheGoodPharaoh

:nope: :grumble:

Don't lie you love it
Original post by Reue
It was when I was a kid. We had a microwave with a dialer timer but it did'nt come on until you'd turned it round 'enough' which was about about 15mins.. so if you wanted less than 15mins you had to count it yourself. I wanted 30 seconds so set it to 15mins then started counting but got distracted by the TV so walked out of the kitcen and closed the door. Went back at the end of the program and the kitchen was totally filled with smoke. Casually went upstairs to my parents who were still in bed and calmly announced that the kitchen was on fire.

That reminds me. We didn’t get a microwave until I was in my late teens. One of the first times I used it was to micro wave popcorn. I was so excited I forgot to take the plastic wrapper off!!! The house stunk so badly, really acrid fumes!!
Original post by ForestCat
That reminds me. We didn’t get a microwave until I was in my late teens. One of the first times I used it was to micro wave popcorn. I was so excited I forgot to take the plastic wrapper off!!! The house stunk so badly, really acrid fumes!!

I did something similar a couple of months ago. I have a compact rotisserie oven and left a rubber glove on top of it. That thing gets burning hot so when Iwent in the kitchen half way through cooking a chicken I found the rubber had melted into the top and the fumes were pretty thick and choking. I had to turn it off and finish the chicken in the oven. Haven't used the rotisserie oven since because I can't get all the little bits of melted rubber off it. So that's like $100 for a new one. Oops. :colondollar:
Original post by _princessxox
Don't lie you love it

Yeah I love it when I put it in the bin so nobody has to go through the pain of tasting it

ur so rood. smh it tastes better than you ever will so move
Original post by lmaooome
ur so rood. smh it tastes better than you ever will so move

Gay
I set fire to rice and the metal in the pan almost melted and turned black.......... And the weirdest thing is, it has happened many times.
And its not like I'm bad at cooking (macarons are my speciality :smile:) BUT I CAN NEVER FREAKING MAKE RICE!! Its like a curse. Seriously wouldn't be surprised if I used rice cooker and it still burned. And to make things better the fire alarm never went off and the kitchen filled with smoke, and my dumbass tried to cover up the smell, so my mum wouldn't know, but it made things worse. I will never forget the day my mother almost killed me for burning her favourite pot. :afraid::afraid:
Gay

I hope you drown in ur meltness.
Original post by lmaooome
I hope you drown in ur meltness.

That’s like trying to drown in a rain drop
I straight up burned spaghetti once.
Original post by Sana_Blondel
Seriously wouldn't be surprised if I used rice cooker and it still burned. :afraid::afraid:

I'm the opposite, whenever I try to make rice I always manage to undercook it!
Original post by Sana_Blondel
I set fire to rice and the metal in the pan almost melted and turned black.......... And the weirdest thing is, it has happened many times.
And its not like I'm bad at cooking (macarons are my speciality :smile:) BUT I CAN NEVER FREAKING MAKE RICE!! Its like a curse. Seriously wouldn't be surprised if I used rice cooker and it still burned. And to make things better the fire alarm never went off and the kitchen filled with smoke, and my dumbass tried to cover up the smell, so my mum wouldn't know, but it made things worse. I will never forget the day my mother almost killed me for burning her favourite pot. :afraid::afraid:

One part rice, two parts water, microwave until soft and rice-like. :yes:
Original post by _princessxox
Don't lie you love it

And why does this have so many reps u haters
Original post by Reue

I once cooked something for 30mins instead of 3. Mine just ended in a gross potato jelly thing though, not a kitchen on fire. :headfire:
Mixing pasta with Jerk BBQ sauce and garlic salt, and totally overdoing it on the garlic salt. Only meal I've cooked where I put it in my mouth and instantly felt like I was gonna puke :lol:
Yeah I love it when I put it in the bin so nobody has to go through the pain of tasting it

That's rude, pineapple on pizza is the best

And why does this have so many reps u haters

No one likes you

That’s like trying to drown in a rain drop

You're only like 5 foot so it might be possible for you

Quick Reply

Latest