The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
I'm apparently "under investigation" by the BBC (well, TV Licensing), according to their latest letter.

The basic assumption is that you have and use a television. Not too many households don't.

If you don't need one, part of me says let them waste their time carrying out their "investigation". Another part of me says that hopefully their "investigation" is just sending out letters as otherwise it is a waste of licence payer's money.

Check that you actually don't need one. It isn't just for watching television on a good old-fashioned box. These days it can be for computer watching too. If you should have one, then either get one or stop doing whatever it is you are doing that requires you to have one.

****ing goons, don't let them enter your property, they have as much right to enter as a postman
My postman doesn't go around threatening people with court dates for not buying stamps.

What you can do is revoke the implied right of access to your property for BBC/TVL employees. This means they won't (legally) even be able to ring your door. Of course, this also means giving up your personal information to a company that has no business knowing it in the first place.

Is there any way they could check from the outside? Or is this just a meme

The BBC is a great news outlet and I'm glad they're around. They have to get their funding somehow. I do object to some of their money-collecting methods, but the way I see it, it's like buying things from a charity shop - you know the money is going towards good work.

That said, my household has (truthfully) claimed to not watch or record live TV on any device so as not to require a TV license.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The BBC is a great news outlet and I'm glad they're around. They have to get their funding somehow. I do object to some of their money-collecting methods, but the way I see it, it's like buying things from a charity shop - you know the money is going towards good work.

That said, my household has (truthfully) claimed to not watch or record live TV on any device so as not to require a TV license.

Some of the tripe the BBC push out and push for makes me utterly turn off them. They can push ads every 5 minutes for all I care they won't be getting my money.

They could film you watching TV from outside your window - but that might be breaking the law on their part (fairly sure there must be laws about companies snooping around residences).

But you are asking if they can detect whether your TV is receiving broadcasts remotely using complex equipment? lol, they certainly can't. iPlayer and online will be different, obviously.

I have heard but don't really look in to it that if a TV can receive the BBC signal you have to pay. Also one guy at my uni was talking about how if you have your laptop plugged in to a wall socket and watch iPlayer they can somehow find out but I have no clue how that works.

Either way they need to piss off. If the BBC could block me from ever seeing them if I don't pay I wish they would. I won't want to fund some of the bullcrap they push out.
Reply 6
If you watch TV via Amazon, NowTV, Netflix you do not need it but if you stream LIVE then you do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
All the good TV shows have gone from BBC but if they do come round then just don't let them come in I think you should research it a little bit more just to be sure
the TV licensing bully boys are the dark side of the Beeb. we are encouraged to focus on the smiley friendly presenters & cake baking funsters.... behind them lurk the shaven-headed thugs who terrorise innocent paupers.
They could film you watching TV from outside your window - but that might be breaking the law on their part (fairly sure there must be laws about companies snooping around residences).

But you are asking if they can detect whether your TV is receiving broadcasts remotely using complex equipment? lol, they certainly can't. iPlayer and online will be different, obviously.

That's what tunnelbear is for :smile:
I'm apparently "under investigation" by the BBC (well, TV Licensing), according to their latest letter.

Never bought a TV license, never watched TV or iPlayer outside my parents' house.

TESCO don't send me similar letters demanding why I don't shop with them, with language implying severe consequences for non-compliance.

I wonder how many international students panic and pay the fee. This practice is at best utterly immoral.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/index.htm

What's the most threatening mail you've got from these *****?

No need to be so dramatic.

You are on their database as not having a licence

You can contact hem if you wish to say you dont watch live TV and then they can mark you off and the letters will stop. You can also ignore the letters as well.

They have a right in law to enforce licensing. Most international students can read English so I expect if they dont have a TV they wont pay and if they do, then they may or take the risk. They arent sheep.
when people say "I own a tv but don't watch it" I always have my suspicions!
I had an angry letter from them, simply because I didn't inform them that I don't need one... Bloody ridiculous.
> dramatic

The ones being dramatic are them. "Under investigation" my arse.

> You can contact them if you don't watch live TV

Yes, but this will only (at best) get them off your back for a short while. Also, it gifts them your personal details, which is none of their business, and makes it easier for them to harass you, should they wish to.

The letters don't bother me. What bothers me are the people who are vulnerable to their scare tactics.

How is this different to cold-calling, and rather aggressive cold-calling at that?

Because they have a right in law to enforce the licence. You seem unable to differentiate that from people without such a right.

Tell them dont tell them up to you. they will just carry on sending the letters then.
> Tunnelbear

Someone watches LTT

I have heard bad things about Tunnelbear tbh

I actually do occasionally, although I've been using it from before

It's fastest free vpn from what i've tested, plus it comes as a browser addon so it's hassle free. Your recommendation?
> Free VPN

I would really tend to avoid those like the plague... but tbf Tunnelbear is probably one of the most reliable FREE VPNs out there.

Recommendation? Depends what you want to use it for. I don't use mine for torrenting etc., just for generic use.

I don't use it for any nefarious purposes, it's mainly to stop kikebook/instagoyim and jewgle tracking me even when i'm not signed in. they use your ip to send you ads now.

>tfw torrent stuff with public ip
devilish
although i haven't had any warning letters from my isp in years like some people do, until then i'll continue
Reply 16
Ignore their unenforceable letters, as I have been for the past 6 years:

/thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
****ing goons, don't let them enter your property, they have as much right to enter as a postman

They dont need to enter they go around in vans and check- thru satellite waves or something.
Reply 18
That is a deviously worded letter.

I believe they no longer send completely misleading letters like that having been pulled up on that fact that the majority of it was lies.
Reply 19
Original post by N/A IS THE NAME
They dont need to enter they go around in vans and check- thru satellite waves or something.

Source?

No.. really,... any source what so ever that proves they have any admissible evidence gathered from 'detector vans'...

Please stop spreading the lies

Latest