The Student Room Group

Which bank are you with/or have left, and why?

Im thinking about switching bank accounts, and looking into the different current accounts available. Ive currently got a current account and basic saver with Halifax but theres nothing special about their account. Im also going to be starting uni next year so ill go with a bank that will also have a good student account.

So im wondering what banks everyone uses and why? I know most of us go with what our parents chose when we were young and dont change!
ahh your looking to change banks that's cool
Yh Halifax sucks
BTW what's your PIN number?
Halifax cause I like their student account :smile:
Original post by marshalld67
Im thinking about switching bank accounts, and looking into the different current accounts available. Ive currently got a current account and basic saver with Halifax but theres nothing special about their account. Im also going to be starting uni next year so ill go with a bank that will also have a good student account.

So im wondering what banks everyone uses and why? I know most of us go with what our parents chose when we were young and dont change!

Been with Lloyd's for over three years, switched to be with the same bank as my now husband and they have great customer service and interest rates .
Reply 4
I was with Yorkshire until i was 20 but got into a small amount of debt with them during a period of unemployment.

I have been with Lloyds since and am reasonably happy.
Reply 5
I'm with Lloyds, for no reason other than it was the bank my parents set up my childhood bank account with and I've stayed with them since.

The customer service has always been great and my current account is suited to my needs, so I have no reason to change.

I've been with Halifax for about 8 years now simply because my parents bank with them and they set up the account for me. It suited my everyday needs and have no complaints about them. I have about 2 saver accounts, a credit card, and the reward current account with them.

I have no intention of switching, but recently I got inspired to open a second account and looked around for better accounts to get more bang for my buck, when I came across the TSB classic plus account.

It gives you £130 for switching with 2 direct debits, 5 quid for making 20 transactions with the debit card (buying bread and/or milk at my Tesco local does the trick), another 5 quid for having 2 direct debits (phone contract and Sainsburys credit card bills), and 3% AER on £1500 when you pay in £500 month and do paperless correspondence (basically transfer £500 from my Halifax account into it).

It gives much better perks that are suited for my income level, compared to Halifax's reward account which doesn't earn interest, and only gives £3 back for depositing in £1000 and having 2 direct debits, making it a no-brainer for me. Sometimes it pays to shop around for a better deal.

I recommend it if you're thinking about switching, here is the link with more info: https://www.tsb.co.uk/cashback-money-saving-expert/?WT.mc_id=1613487%7c207184294%7c406878839%7c0
Reply 7
I left santander due to the terrible customer service.

Have now switched to using First Direct for my main account, their customer service is flawless.
Reply 8
RBS/ANZ

Was with Lloyds TSB but i'll be damned if they arent the singular worst bank on the face of the earth.
Original post by Napp
RBS/ANZ

Was with Lloyds TSB but i'll be damned if they arent the singular worst bank on the face of the earth.

isn't anz new Zealand and Aus only? I still have an account with them from my WHVisa

also why do you hate Lloyds? I think it was them I was looking at for savings but can't remember. the one where you can save pennies on everything you buy?
Reply 10
isn't anz new Zealand and Aus only? I still have an account with them from my WHVisa

also why do you hate Lloyds? I think it was them I was looking at for savings but can't remember. the one where you can save pennies on everything you buy?

More or less aha, I keep my account in NZL open for whenever i go back... plus their account earns a butt load more interest than the UK one :tongue:

Oh piss poor customer service was the deal breaker for me, I took exception to being treated with contempt and as just another piece of meat. I found RBS [despite their recent scandals] to be friendlier and easier to do business with :smile:

Umm I think i know the account you mean, at least it rings some vague bell for me but alas i cant say anything for or against it im afraid.
I have a current account with Halifax, for no reason other than it was the bank my parents set up my bank account with in my final year at school and I've stayed with them since. Their customer service has 9 times out of 10 been great for me and my current account is suited to my needs, so I have no reason to change.
NatWest cos my name is Natalie Scofield
i had an account with Coutts at yoony. now i just bank with the hoi polloi in the High Street

:rolleyes:
Original post by the bear
i had an account with Coutts at yoony. now i just bank with the hoi polloi in the High Street

:rolleyes:

Amazing, you have resolve I didn't credit you for.
Original post by Napp
More or less aha, I keep my account in NZL open for whenever i go back... plus their account earns a butt load more interest than the UK one :tongue:.

I never thought of that! to be fair though I only had like $90 in there when I left and the exchange is **** so there's no point sending my money back over. I don't imagine I'll ever go back to work there anyway. bloody brilliant country but too far from home to settle!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending