The Student Room Group

HELP!!! University student but can I recieve housing benefit?

Hi, I'm currently on my second year of university and have a baby under 1. I'm looking to move from my parents house but the rent in London is really expensive and my job won't be able to cover the full rent!! But since I am a parent, would I be able to get housing benefit? I know I will be exempt from council tax. Would be really helpful if someone could help me out on here! :smile:
Original post by Missng
Hi, I'm currently on my second year of university and have a baby under 1. I'm looking to move from my parents house but the rent in London is really expensive and my job won't be able to cover the full rent!! But since I am a parent, would I be able to get housing benefit? I know I will be exempt from council tax. Would be really helpful if someone could help me out on here! :smile:

Maybe. But the council will only pay a set amount, which is your local housing allowance. (LHA) Some of your maintenance loan will be counted as income for housing benefit.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
Maybe. But the council will only pay a set amount, which is your local housing allowance. (LHA) Some of your maintenance loan will be counted as income for housing benefit.

Hi, thanks for replying. I don't really think that would be a bother as I dont really get that much maintance loan so hopefully, it should be fine!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending