The Student Room Group

Maths Module Grades

Hi,

A university has requested my individual maths module grades. Since I take F. maths I sat the whole of a level maths in year 12 and I'm not sure if I've filled out the form correctly. So on the form I put down C3 and C4 at an A. I actually got above 90 ums in both so it would mean that my maths grade would be at an A*. So should I have said that the module grades were at an A* or A? I was always under the impression that the highest module grade was an A even at A2. Thanks
Surely if you did the whole of your maths A level last year you should have the full details including the final grade and the module breakdowns so you can add the grades as they appear? Did you get an A* overall?

Edit: forgot to quote so @benlg3
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by EmilySarah00
Surely if you did the whole of your maths A level last year you should have the full details including the final grade and the module breakdowns so you can add the grades as they appear? Did you get an A* overall?

Edit: forgot to quote so @benlg3

Yes I did get an A* overall. On my breakdown sheet it showed:

Core Mathematics 1:94 a
Core Mathematics 2:100 a
Core Mathematics 3:100 a
Core Mathematics 4: 90 a
Statistics 1: 94 a
Mechanics 1: 100 a

However, the whole a level hasn't been aggregated so I will only receive the maths a level at the end of year 13. I am just concerned that the universities won't know whether or not I achieved an A* or an A just based on module grades especially when the courses I have applied to require A* in maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by benlg3

However, the whole a level hasn't been aggregated so I will only receive the maths a level at the end of year 13. I am just concerned that the universities won't know whether or not I achieved an A* or an A just based on module grades.

The universities should all know how the maths A* system works by now, it’s been going on since 2004 after all. You should have still been able to declare your overall grade as an A* on UCAS though surely?
Reply 4
The universities should all know how the maths A* system works by now, it’s been going on since 2004 after all. You should have still been able to declare your overall grade as an A* on UCAS though surely?

You can't declare the grade because it isn't certified but I am predicted an A* in maths.
Original post by benlg3

However, the whole a level hasn't been aggregated so I will only receive the maths a level at the end of year 13. I am just concerned that the universities won't know whether or not I achieved an A* or an A just based on module grades especially when the courses I have applied to require A* in maths.

90+ UMS in A2 modules should be an A*
Original post by benlg3
You can't declare the grade because it isn't certified but I am predicted an A* in maths.

I’m sure the University will get the picture considering you’ve taken C3 and 4 already and got the A* UMS mark. They’ll be used to FM students doing the whole maths A level early
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
I’m sure the University will get the picture considering you’ve taken C3 and 4 already and got the A* UMS mark. They’ll be used to FM students doing the whole maths A level early

The university only asked for the module grades and explicitly said no ums.
Original post by benlg3
The university only asked for the module grades and explicitly said no ums.

Hm. Well technically yes the C3 and 4 grades should be A* but I find it perplexing that they weren’t printed as so on your grade breakdown
Reply 9
@EmilySarah00 @Mikasadoge

Here's exactly what it says on my results slip as you can see the module grade is at an a. Should I email the admissions team to let them know the nature of the c3/c4 score?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by benlg3
Scan 2.jpeg

Here's exactly what it says on my results slip as you can see the module grade is at an a. Should I email the admissions team to let them know of my final grade?

Yes that would be a great idea. Just explain the situation like you have to us and they’ll take note.
Original post by benlg3
Scan 2.jpeg

Here's exactly what it says on my results slip as you can see the module grade is at an a. Should I email the admissions team to let them know the nature of the c3/c4 score?

I'm pretty sure they'll have access to your UMS scores when you send the application, but you could phone/email just to make sure.
Reply 12

Thank you both for answering my questions.:smile:
Original post by Mikasadoge
I'm pretty sure they'll have access to your UMS scores when you send the application, but you could phone/email just to make sure.

Universities don’t receive UMS only unit grades.

I would have expected your referee to explain that you have an uncertified A* grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending