The Student Room Group

No black box insurance?

I've been driving a year now and have 1 year NCD, after my first year being £2400 I thought it would reduce massively but it's still fairly high.

The cheapest I can find with a box and 1 year NCD is £1400, without a box it's £5000? After viewing a few threads on here I've seen students being offered quotes of around my total but without a box, has anyone got any suggestions?

The car I'm insuring is an Audi A1 1.4 (fairly small engine so shouldn't affect the premium value too much) and I'm Manchester based.
Reply 1
Original post by MrLaca
I've been driving a year now and have 1 year NCD, after my first year being £2400 I thought it would reduce massively but it's still fairly high.

The cheapest I can find with a box and 1 year NCD is £1400, without a box it's £5000? After viewing a few threads on here I've seen students being offered quotes of around my total but without a box, has anyone got any suggestions?

The car I'm insuring is an Audi A1 1.4 (fairly small engine so shouldn't affect the premium value too much) and I'm Manchester based.

Small engine, yes, but still an Audi.

See this thread for information: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4825738
I know i'm not the best at maths but it has gone down a thousand pounds?
Reply 3
Original post by Jackieox
I know i'm not the best at maths but it has gone down a thousand pounds?

With that calculation I'd say you're a maths genius, thanks for that. Yes it's gone down £1k which is very good but I'm just finding it strange how people with brand new cars are offered the same price quote on their first year instead of £2.4k or 1 year experience with no box?
Reply 4
Original post by MrLaca
With that calculation I'd say you're a maths genius, thanks for that. Yes it's gone down £1k which is very good but I'm just finding it strange how people with brand new cars are offered the same price quote on their first year instead of £2.4k or 1 year experience with no box?

Location, job, age, number of years on licence, gender, ITS AN AUDI.

So many factors come in to play.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Small engine, yes, but still an Audi.

See this thread for information: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4825738

Thanks for the response, I had a look over at the link prior to making this post, I've tried many different companies and comparison sites but can't seem to get it as cheap as others seem to get it.

I understand it's an Audi yes but surely it's based on the car's value and again, others are managing a lot cheaper insurance on cars with very similar values.
Reply 6
Original post by MrLaca
Thanks for the response, I had a look over at the link prior to making this post, I've tried many different companies and comparison sites but can't seem to get it as cheap as others seem to get it.

I understand it's an Audi yes but surely it's based on the car's value and again, others are managing a lot cheaper insurance on cars with very similar values.

Value is generally irrelevant - insurance group is the problem.
For instance it's cheaper to insure a Land Rover than a ford KA
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Value is generally irrelevant - insurance group is the problem.

Ah right okay, and I'm guessing Group 15 is fairly high for my age then hence the high quotes...
Reply 9
Original post by MrLaca
Ah right okay, and I'm guessing Group 15 is fairly high for my age then hence the high quotes...

Exactly...
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
Exactly...

The follow-up to the story...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5023620
Reply 11

Oh good lord..
Manchester has good public transport (possibly the best outside London) and so getting rid of the car and using public transport seems the best option.

Original post by IWMTom
Oh good lord..

And that's why new(er) drivers shouldn't get shiny new cars! :rofl:

I wonder what OP's new quote will be :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending