The Student Room Group

A-level English Study Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vanessa-gouveia

Hi everyone!

I am in Year 13 and study English Literature with the AQA exam board.
The texts (for y12 and 13) are:
-The Great Gatsby
-Othello
-The Color Purple
-A Streetcar Named Desire
-Feminine Gospels
And for our coursework we have a selection of two texts from the following:
-The Homecoming
-Purple Hibiscus
-A Doll's House
-The Importance of Being Earnest

I really enjoyed learning about the different time periods within Literature! And I am looking forward to the coursework as the list the choose from is great!

I study Othello and Feminine Gospels too! Haven't started Feminine gospels yet...
So I dropped English in favour of the AS a couple weeks ago and now I have no idea when to start revising and rereading for that!! Anyone have any advice?
Original post by fabs123
I study Othello and Feminine Gospels too! Haven't started Feminine gospels yet...

Ah cool! How did you find Othello? I haven’t started Feminine gospels either.
Year 13 English Literature
Edexcel
My set texs are A Streetcar Named Desire, Othello, The Handmaid's Tale, Frankenstein, Poetry of the Decade and some Christina Rossetti poems I have yet to learn!
Currently re-reading over the AS prose texts and realising how much we have to know for those exams :s-smilie:
Original post by vanessa-gouveia
Ah cool! How did you find Othello? I haven’t started Feminine gospels either.

Love Othello! Ok cool, I thought I was behind :'')
Reply 85
Hey, anyone else studying Tess of the d'Urbervilles? How are you finding it?
Original post by beanzz
Hey, anyone else studying Tess of the d'Urbervilles? How are you finding it?

Yeah, I studied it last year :smile:
Bit of a long novel as we read it all in class
but good
Reply 87
Original post by fabs123
Yeah, I studied it last year :smile:
Bit of a long novel as we read it all in class
but good

I enjoyed reading it more than Wuthering Heights, but now we're actually studying it I am liking it less and less. :sigh:
Wow, I wish this had existed last year!!!:badger:

I'm in Year 13, studying English Literature.
I'm currently a bit confused about the exam board.... Thought we were AQA but my teacher keeps saying OCR so who knows?
My set texts are:

The Great Gatsby

My Antonia

Hamlet

Coursework texts

The Secret Scripture

Streetcar Named Desire

Hardy Poems 1912/13

I love English because you get to delve into the meaning of words and phrases whenever you pick up a book. You can explore how words interact to invoke different effects and you can discover the author's influence on the text.
Original post by StevetheIcecube
So I dropped English in favour of the AS a couple weeks ago and now I have no idea when to start revising and rereading for that!! Anyone have any advice?

When it comes to rereading texts, it's never too early!! Maybe make notes as you go along as that will help you when you revise nearer the exam!!
Original post by Ara8311a
Some of these websites are amazing! Thank you for sharing them!!!:smile:

Glad you found them useful!
I found this website recently and found it really good

http://mrhoyesibwebsite.com/
I'm so so so late to this but I'll introduce myself now, better late than never :')

Year 12
English literature - OCR
English language - AQA
My set texts for Lit are A Streetcar Named Desire, The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories, Dracula, Hamlet and Christina Rosetti (for poetry).
I love Shakespeare and I've read Hamlet before but I love it, it's probably my favourite tragedy, and I love Gothic literature so I'm looking forward to Dracula (I'm doing The Bloody Chamber right now which has some gothic elements in it anyway).

Does anyone know of any decent OCR English Literature study guides? Or is it just the York Notes ones for the separate books? I was kind of hoping to get one book with them all in one but it looks to me like I have to buy the York Notes books for each of my set texts.
I'm in year twelve.

Studying both Englishes.

Edexcel for both.

My Literature texts are: The Remains of the Day; A Streetcar Named Desire; Jane Eyre; and Carol Ann Duffy's Mean Time.

I've always preferred Language to Literature, as it's more societally based, and, in my opinion, easier. I like all aspects of it, I think. What puts me off Lit. a little bit is the context part as I'm not especially interested in history, and it can be quite frustrating memorising all those quotes! I LOVE poetry though - that's the one part that I do like just as much as Language.
Original post by PoetryBlues
I'm in year twelve.
I've always preferred Language to Literature, as it's more societally based, and, in my opinion, easier. I like all aspects of it, I think. What puts me off Lit. a little bit is the context part as I'm not especially interested in history, and it can be quite frustrating memorising all those quotes! I LOVE poetry though - that's the one part that I do like just as much as Language.

Honestly this is how I feel as well; I only took Literature because I needed another subject and none of the other subjects on offer at my college really interested me, and I knew that I liked Shakespeare and Poetry so I figured it’d be a softer choice than any of the stem subjects... the AO5 is the bit I struggle with most in Literature.
It's a decent way into the course now (for Y12s like myself) and I feel as if I haven't developed a fully coherent essay style, despite loving Hamlet and at least liking critical interpretation of The Merchant's Tale / Chaucer in general.

If anyone's in a similar position to myself I'd love if we could swap essays and comment on each others :smile: (I wouldn't want to just give my stuff to others and make them read it :rofl:)
Reply 98
A bit late to this as well but hey!
I am currently in year 13 on the WJEC exam board, and I’m doing:
- Chaucer, Merchants Tale
- King Lear
And then for coursework:
- The Great Gatsby
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist

I am absolutely hating the coursework aspect at the moment but the Chaucer work is definitely interesting :smile:
Hiii!!!

I'm in year 13 studying English lit and we're doing othello, love through the ages poetry, the awakening, regeneration, my boy jack and the war poems of Wilfred Owen.

Currently getting D's and honestly don't know what to do to improve!!! Does anyone have any example essays or tips for writing?

Thank you!!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending