The Student Room Group

Wozniak: "iPhone 8... same as the iPhone 7... same as the iPhone 6"

What do you think of this?

Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak describes the iPhone 8 as being the same as the iPhone 7, which is the same as the iPhone 6. He says this from 10 to 13 seconds in.

[video="youtube;ObluB-AjB-s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObluB-AjB-s[/video]

Do you agree with him?

I certainly do. I was always interested in Apple. I loved hearing their announcements. I'd rush home from school or college and watch the LIVE stream of their announcements.

The iPhone 3G was my very first iPhone/smartphone. I loved it. The next was the iPhone 4, I loved the different design, and loved the retina display. I thought it was the future.

I bought the iPhone 6. A bigger iPhone, and again, what I thought was a great phone. However, since the iPhone 6, I lost interest in the Apple LIVE streams and didn't bother upgrading.

Since the 6, all that appears to have happened is the phones have gotten a slightly better camera and they're faster. They look the same.

I stupidly bought the iPhone 7. I wish I hadn't. To me, other that it being a bit faster, it feels exactly the same. It looks the same, and although the camera is meant to be better, to me, the colours in the camera look worse.

I sent it back, but now I wish I kept the Samsung S8. That phone was definitely a huge upgrade and it just seemed so futuristic.

Is it just me, or did Apple die with Steve Jobs? I feel that he was the brains behind Apple.

Their software looks hideous nowadays. Its the same layout with weird colours and different fonts and different sized fonts. As for the iPhone X, it's the ugliest iPhone ever... what's with that silly black dropped down box on the phone? If you're watching a film or playing a game on the phone, that will be a constant distraction!
He's right. These days the new iPhone models are just the result of a continuous business strategy in order to profit of the brand loyalty of the millions of customers that Apple has. There is hardly any new features added per model, apart from maybe "a faster processor" that nobody really needs. It's not like I'll need an A11 CPU that's more powerful than the latest Macbook's CPU, just so I can edit and create high-tech photo slideshows and crappy iMovie videos, and play some high resolution angry birds.

Apple is among the largest corporations of the world. And the largest corporations don't really care about improving people's life or innovating genuinely useful technology, they care about their profit margins.

One final comment, the "facial recognition" BS is a poor excuse for a new feature. It's probably just a crappy algorithm they knocked up in a few months, in order to create the illusion that there's any actual real improvement in the latest version.

Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 2scotty
What do you think of this?

Apple Co-Founder Steve Wozniak describes the iPhone 8 as being the same as the iPhone 7, which is the same as the iPhone 6. He says this from 10 to 13 seconds in.

[video="youtube;ObluB-AjB-s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObluB-AjB-s[/video]

Do you agree with him?

I certainly do. I was always interested in Apple. I loved hearing their announcements. I'd rush home from school or college and watch the LIVE stream of their announcements.

The iPhone 3G was my very first iPhone/smartphone. I loved it. The next was the iPhone 4, I loved the different design, and loved the retina display. I thought it was the future.

I bought the iPhone 6. A bigger iPhone, and again, what I thought was a great phone. However, since the iPhone 6, I lost interest in the Apple LIVE streams and didn't bother upgrading.

Since the 6, all that appears to have happened is the phones have gotten a slightly better camera and they're faster. They look the same.

I stupidly bought the iPhone 7. I wish I hadn't. To me, other that it being a bit faster, it feels exactly the same. It looks the same, and although the camera is meant to be better, to me, the colours in the camera look worse.

I sent it back, but now I wish I kept the Samsung S8. That phone was definitely a huge upgrade and it just seemed so futuristic.

Is it just me, or did Apple die with Steve Jobs? I feel that he was the brains behind Apple.

Their software looks hideous nowadays. Its the same layout with weird colours and different fonts and different sized fonts. As for the iPhone X, it's the ugliest iPhone ever... what's with that silly black dropped down box on the phone? If you're watching a film or playing a game on the phone, that will be a constant distraction!

I quite agree. I am someone who only ever owned an iPad Mini, but used several of my friends' iPhones. I can honestly say that the iPhones have stopped changing after iPhone 6. And this is just design wise. I literally didn't know which iPhone my friend had because it looked EXACTLY the same as the iPhone 8 and 6 (it was an iPhone 7). That is definitely NOT a good sign! And as a casual consumer of these devices seeing such small design changes is quite substantial. If I buy a new phone I want it to be a big change from what I had before. from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4, (4S small change), to the iPhone 5, and even 5C and 5S and EVEN 6. EVOLUTION. It went from this metallic-like phone to something more casual and friendly looking, and it has remained with the same "friendly" look since 2014.
Reply 3
There isn't much difference between the iphone 7 and the iphone 8.

Yes, the Iphone 8 also has glass on the back but who cares? All it does is that you can now smash the screen as well as the back!

The facial recognition stuff isn't even nessecary. I mean seriously, why would anyone want to upgrade a phone just because it has facial recognition, a fingerprint sensor works just as well. And yes, it is possible to fit a fingerprint sensor on the iphone x.

I mean, there is no point to upgrade or get the new iphones if you already are using android phones.
He's correct, and it's neither a controversial or disagreeable statement.

For years Apple worked on a bi-annual revision process- on odd years they would release a significantly redesigned hardware flagship, and even years would retain largely the same design with minor iterative changes and internal spec improvements. Since the release of the 6, Apple have been stuck in those even years- all subsequent phones in the "main" iPhone product line have retained almost an identical design language, with the only truly significant change being the 8's return to glass backs to allow wireless charging. Between the static design language of hardware and the frankly stagnant state of iOS's interface, the iPhone experience has become an exercise in annual repetition.

The iPhone X is a whole other kettle of fish, but it's actively marketed as a statement piece and priced out of most people's means, and isn't really indicative of Apple's direction for the core iPhone line until they adopt its design for the iPhone 9 next year.

Original post by FriendlyPenguin
ur just haters who cant afford to by apple lmao

No we're not.
Source: am a human adult with a full time job and lots of electronics more expensive than an iPhone.

ive bought all the iphones and they just get better each time

There are improvements, but it's undeniable that outside of internal improvements and camera changes the iPhone experience has remained virtually unchanged for four generations.

honestly once uve tried the airpods ull never want to go back to earphones

Unless you want something that sounds better than a pair of £20 earbuds you can find on Amazon.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending