The Student Room Group

What have been your worst cooking mistakes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _princessxox
That's rude, pineapple on pizza is the best

No one likes you

You're only like 5 foot so it might be possible for you

Oh no one likes me is that right? And I’m not 5 foot but I’m still growing whereas you’ve started shrinking
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Oh no one likes me is that right? And I’m not 5 foot but I’m still growing whereas you’ve started shrinking

go away I'm not shrinking, this is abuse
Original post by Reue
It was when I was a kid. We had a microwave with a dialer timer but it did'nt come on until you'd turned it round 'enough' which was about about 15mins.. so if you wanted less than 15mins you had to count it yourself. I wanted 30 seconds so set it to 15mins then started counting but got distracted by the TV so walked out of the kitcen and closed the door. Went back at the end of the program and the kitchen was totally filled with smoke. Casually went upstairs to my parents who were still in bed and calmly announced that the kitchen was on fire.

Never seen them get out of bed so quickly!

I have pyromaniac tendencies as well
go away I'm not shrinking, this is abuse

Yeah u are you’re the same size as yoda
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Yeah u are you’re the same size as yoda

He's 2'2", you're nearly as tall as him!!
He's 2'2", you're nearly as tall as him!!

As long as I carry on eating my weetabix I’ll reach him one day
Original post by Kindred
One part rice, two parts water, microwave until soft and rice-like. :yes:

Trust me, the microwave would probably explode :biggrin:
I think my worst time was shortbread - I made a huge batch but forgot the sugar and didn't put enough butter in so I ended up with a huge dry lump of wasted flour and eggs ...
My parents used to have a microwave with the dials you turn to enter the time. (or weight if you're doing a baked potato) One problem for me (unknown to both of us) is that I can't always quite see the decimal point if entering the weight.

Anyway, I entered the weight too high, cremated the potato and melted the microwave door...

Since then, we've bought microwaves with buttons you push to enter the time or weight.
Not me but my fiancé (who is a trained chef may I add), used to have a habit of leaving the grill/oven on because he's so forgetful sometimes. One time, he came downstairs to black smoke, the grill on fire, so he grabs some water out of panic, throws it on the fire, only for the glass door to shatter absolutely everywhere :redface: :lol: Ever since, he randomly panics thinking he's left it on and runs downstairs to check, even after checking 10000 times :tongue:
I've put the wrong type of flour in cakes a couple of times then wondered why it wasn't rising.
(edited 6 years ago)
It wasn't really a cooking mistake, but I have supernoodles occasionally but I spice them up with chilli powder and paprika to make them more interesting. One time I added cinnamon instead.
Original post by Sana_Blondel
I set fire to rice and the metal in the pan almost melted and turned black.......... And the weirdest thing is, it has happened many times.
And its not like I'm bad at cooking (macarons are my speciality :smile:) BUT I CAN NEVER FREAKING MAKE RICE!! Its like a curse. Seriously wouldn't be surprised if I used rice cooker and it still burned. And to make things better the fire alarm never went off and the kitchen filled with smoke, and my dumbass tried to cover up the smell, so my mum wouldn't know, but it made things worse. I will never forget the day my mother almost killed me for burning her favourite pot. :afraid::afraid:

What!! Ooh, macarons though! Rice can be difficult, it depends on the rice for me :laugh: Uncle Bens I get perfect every time without effort, but an other rice I can't seem to get quite right :laugh: I accidentally melted a plastic spoon on a hob once after turning the wrong one on trying to make rice. Smoke alarm didn't go off, but it was 4am and the entire lower floor was just filled with smoke. Took ages for the smell of burning plastic to go :grumble: My mum was least pleased too :tongue:

Original post by Kindred
I straight up burned spaghetti once.

How? :laugh:

Original post by student7659
I'm the opposite, whenever I try to make rice I always manage to undercook it!

Try Uncle Bens! It seems to be the secret to good rice :mmm:

Original post by Kindred
One part rice, two parts water, microwave until soft and rice-like. :yes:

I need to try this!

Original post by Kindred
I once cooked something for 30mins instead of 3. Mine just ended in a gross potato jelly thing though, not a kitchen on fire. :headfire:

But...did you taste it? :tongue:

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Mixing pasta with Jerk BBQ sauce and garlic salt, and totally overdoing it on the garlic salt. Only meal I've cooked where I put it in my mouth and instantly felt like I was gonna puke :lol:

Haha oh no! That sounds like it could've been so good!
Original post by Ensorcell
I think my worst time was shortbread - I made a huge batch but forgot the sugar and didn't put enough butter in so I ended up with a huge dry lump of wasted flour and eggs ...

Have also done this :frown: It's always sad when baking doesn't work right!

Original post by Tiger Rag
My parents used to have a microwave with the dials you turn to enter the time. (or weight if you're doing a baked potato) One problem for me (unknown to both of us) is that I can't always quite see the decimal point if entering the weight.

Anyway, I entered the weight too high, cremated the potato and melted the microwave door...

Since then, we've bought microwaves with buttons you push to enter the time or weight.

I didn't even know microwave doors could melt! How long was the potato going around in there for?

Original post by Changing Skies
Not me but my fiancé (who is a trained chef may I add), used to have a habit of leaving the grill/oven on because he's so forgetful sometimes. One time, he came downstairs to black smoke, the grill on fire, so he grabs some water out of panic, throws it on the fire, only for the glass door to shatter absolutely everywhere :redface: :lol: Ever since, he randomly panics thinking he's left it on and runs downstairs to check, even after checking 10000 times :tongue:

Oh no! I take it he's got better at remembering to turn it all off? :tongue: One of my flatmates does this allll the time. Nearly set fire to sweet potato fries this week!

Original post by claireestelle
I've put the wrong type of flour in cakes a couple of times then wondered why it wasn't rising.

Also guilty of doing this a few times!

Original post by DrawTheLine
It wasn't really a cooking mistake, but I have supernoodles occasionally but I spice them up with chilli powder and paprika to make them more interesting. One time I added cinnamon instead.

Did you taste them? What were they like with the cinnamon? :eek:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Did you taste them? What were they like with the cinnamon? :eek:

No thankfully I realised shortly after adding it!
This wasn't my worst cooking mistake, but my husband's - we were making soup one day and we pretty much added every veg and meat you could think of and when it came to adding garlic, he read the online recipe as "add four garlic" instead of "add four garlic cloves". The soup was inedible and we had to put it down the toilet and the flat stunk of garlic for days and even outside in the close did as well :laugh: safe to say we were safe from any vampire visits for a while! :tongue:

How? :laugh:

I need to try this!

I left it boiling for too long/ with too little water and the water boiled away so it was just pasta. With no water shield it burned onto the bottom of the pan. :colondollar:

It's so easy! I think it takes about 8-10 mins when I do it. :yes:
Original post by DrawTheLine
No thankfully I realised shortly after adding it!

Why does part of me want to try this now? :holmes:

Original post by Rum Ham
This wasn't my worst cooking mistake, but my husband's - we were making soup one day and we pretty much added every veg and meat you could think of and when it came to adding garlic, he read the online recipe as "add four garlic" instead of "add four garlic cloves". The soup was inedible and we had to put it down the toilet and the flat stunk of garlic for days and even outside in the close did as well :laugh: safe to say we were safe from any vampire visits for a while! :tongue:

Oh no!! Wow, that's a huge amount of garlic :laugh:

Original post by Kindred
I left it boiling for too long/ with too little water and the water boiled away so it was just pasta. With no water shield it burned onto the bottom of the pan. :colondollar:

It's so easy! I think it takes about 8-10 mins when I do it. :yes:

I'm so gonna have to try this! (The rice thing, not the burning pasta :rofl:)
Original post by Rum Ham

Oh I love garlic! Best restaurant experience was when we were given a whole cooke garlic to dip bread in - it was amazing!
Tell me about yours? :colone:

When I was at uni, I tried to make poached eggs in the microwave... They exploded and the microwave partially blew up. :u:

Quick Reply

Latest