The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to University (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

Work Plan For 28/10/17:

So I said I wasn't going to give you an update today which technically I'm not. But I decided I'm gonna write a to do list here including everything I need to complete tomorrow in hope it will motivate (and kinda force) me to actually do it all... or we can at least hope?!

- Complete 2012 MAT Paper (preferably without going insane this time.)
- Make 2 lessons worth of FP4 Eigenvectors notes (and no, I'm not really sure what those are yet either.)
- Finish Algorithms subsection of computer science coursework (this one is a bit of a long shot.)
- Organise my loose notes from the last week of term into the appropriate folders.

This doesn't seem like much but will likely take around 8 hours if I actually complete it all. Chances are slim.
In 24 hours time we'll see what I actually managed.

-Emily :burnout:

Not tagging anyone today because lets face it, no one probably gives a **** :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
28/10/17 Update - Most Productive Day Yet!

Hello pals! I'm back after taking a day off work to actually have some fun, and the safari was great may I add, who doesn't love having baboons climb all over their car?! So today I decided I was going to knuckle down and attempt to complete about 8 hours worth of work, which is much more than I'd ideally in a day, however it actually went better than I anticipated and I made it through the day with no tears (Result!) I'll try and keep my post a little shorter today because I've noticed my usual daily updates are about 10x longer than that of any other GYG thread. But what can I say? A maths gal has to get her writing fix in somewhere, right?! :giggle:

I woke up at 11AM which was much later than I wanted to, so much for getting stuff done in the morning aye! But I got right to it and kickstarted with making a lessons worth of FP4 Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors notes (so I can safely say I now know what they are.)

Then after a lunch break I put my phone away, sat at the table (not on my bed for once) and timed myself doing a MAT paper. If you've been following this blog at all you'd know I've been struggling with the MAT, I mean I've complained about it enough, and today wasn't much different as I managed 52/100 but keeping it positive that was a significant improvement on the shambles that was Friday's MAT attempt.

After that I reverted back to doing another hour of FP4 Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors notes. This lot of notes was much less taxing than the first as it mainly consisted of just numerical examples. I was particularly enjoying decorating my notes with my pastel highlighters as well. So at least my notes are visually appealing if nothing else! :grin:

Then I began work on my Computer Science coursework, I was kidding myself in yesterdays work plan that I could finish the algorithms subsection today because there was no way in hell that was going to happen. However I did get a fair amount done today, amending my flow charts and writing them up into pseudocode. I still don't think I'm going to hit the deadline for getting this section of my coursework done though, which is the same day as the MAT. :woo:

Finally I organised my notes from the last week of term into my subject ringbinders. Here is a picture I took during this process which shows a few pages of the great mass of Eigenvectors notes I did today.

IMG_7389.jpg

A rather productive day if I do say so myself,
-Emily x

Tags

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
I'm enjoying this thread! My UCAS fiasco was several years ago at this point (2009/10), but I look back on it as an interesting time in my life. After reading this I wish that 1) I had taken the right subjects (I ended up doing a foundation year to convert from arts to sciences) and 2) that I had anything like your level of organization and drive. Best of luck with everything - I'll be checking this thread periodically!
Original post by Retrodiction
I'm enjoying this thread! My UCAS fiasco was several years ago at this point (2009/10), but I look back on it as an interesting time in my life. After reading this I wish that 1) I had taken the right subjects (I ended up doing a foundation year to convert from arts to sciences) and 2) that I had anything like your level of organization and drive. Best of luck with everything - I'll be checking this thread periodically!

Thank you very much! Out of curiosity what A-Levels did you take and what degree did you end up pursuing? Also I'm surprising myself with my own levels of organisation this year, didn't think I had it in me! Something about TSR must be rubbing off on me :lol:
hey yes i defo wanna be tagged i was already watching! ahh i'm struggling with the MAT too atm and it's really stressing me out 😰 especially when i see so many people on TSR who are getting really high scores

omg you're doing FP4!!! i did it last year and it was so rare to find someone doing it - how are you finding it ? i really enjoyed it but did struggle with the exams a bit - it was all ok in the end though !
great day btw !
Original post by ithinkitslily
hey yes i defo wanna be tagged i was already watching! ahh i'm struggling with the MAT too atm and it's really stressing me out 😰 especially when i see so many people on TSR who are getting really high scores

omg you're doing FP4!!! i did it last year and it was so rare to find someone doing it - how are you finding it ? i really enjoyed it but did struggle with the exams a bit - it was all ok in the end though !
great day btw !

Hey! :wavey: I relate to you greatly with the MAT thing, I'm getting the opposite of high scores at the minute, it's been such a roller-coaster and now I just want it over with :unsure:

And omg someone who actually did FP4, you may be the first I've found! I'm liking the content more than I thought I would but I can imagine the exam will be troublesome. I found revising for the FP1 exam particularly challenging but scraped an A in the end haha so I feel like this might turn out to be similar.

Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Original post by EmilySarah00
Thank you very much! Out of curiosity what A-Levels did you take and what degree did you end up pursuing? Also I'm surprising myself with my own levels of organisation this year, didn't think I had it in me! Something about TSR must be rubbing off on me :lol:

My A-Levels were in English Language, English Literature and Film Studies. I initially applied for degrees in similar subjects, but a mid-year epiphany led me to switch my 'firm' offer to the Science Foundation Year offered by that university. Graduated in 2014 with a BSc in Molecular Biology, and I've never looked back. It's been a ride!

If you maintain the drive and organisation you're showing at the moment I'm confident you'll end up doing something you love at a place you'll love. And once you get there take every opportunity to make yourself stand out against your peers. Summer internships, undergraduate research experience - you'll thank yourself after graduation when you have more to sell yourself on than just your degree! I'm speaking from experience - I approached a professor in my department after my final year exams and asked if I could join his lab over the summer. He agreed, and this was the catalyst that ultimately led me to where I am now - in a graduate job halfway across the world without any regrets.

That's a long way off, but I think it's important to realise early on the importance of making (relevant) opportunities for yourself if none present themselves to you. Best of luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Retrodiction
My A-Levels were in English Language, English Literature and Film Studies. I initially applied for degrees in similar subjects, but a mid-year epiphany led me to switch my 'firm' offer to the Science Foundation Year offered by that university. Graduated in 2014 with a BSc in Molecular Biology, and I've never looked back. It's been a ride!

If you maintain the drive and organisation you're showing at the moment I'm confident you'll end up doing something you love at a place you'll love. And once you get there take every opportunity to make yourself stand out against your peers. Summer internships, undergraduate research experience - you'll thank yourself after graduation when you have more to sell yourself on than just your degree! I'm speaking from experience - I approached a professor in my department after my final year exams and asked if I could join his lab over the summer. He agreed, and this was the catalyst that ultimately led me to where I am now - in a graduate job halfway across the world without any regrets.

That's a long way off, but I think it's important to realise early on the importance of making (relevant) opportunities for yourself if none present themselves to you. Best of luck!

That's pretty crazy the way you changed tracks and ended up where you are today. I bet you're so glad you made that decision when you did. I meanwhile am very one track minded even right now, as my A-Level subjects all directly correspond with my degree so in that respect nothing much will change.

But thank you and I wish you all the best in that oh so intriguing sounding job halfway across the world you've landed yourself within!
Hey! Thanks for the tag, hadn't realised you were writing this. It's nice to hear about MAT struggles sseeing as I'm currently procastinating by writing this! I just absolutely failed the 2016 MAT paper in test conditions, a lovely self-worth destroyer... I hate that the tests have just got more and more difficult, I swear I could have aced the tests a few years ago but now they seem to expect such a vast amount of background knowledge, it's pretty daunting. As a fellow state school Oxford applicant, I feel your struggle, as I know from my friends at private school how much more help they get with admissions and entrance test prep. Obviously it's not Oxford's fault, but it still makes me mad when you realiser how much of a disadvantage we're at. Sorry to leave it on a down note, I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way? And if anyone reading goes to a private school, feel free to chat about your experience with Oxford prep, as it obviously differs from school to school.
Hannah
Original post by Hannzzaaa
Hey! Thanks for the tag, hadn't realised you were writing this. It's nice to hear about MAT struggles sseeing as I'm currently procastinating by writing this! I just absolutely failed the 2016 MAT paper in test conditions, a lovely self-worth destroyer... I hate that the tests have just got more and more difficult, I swear I could have aced the tests a few years ago but now they seem to expect such a vast amount of background knowledge, it's pretty daunting. As a fellow state school Oxford applicant, I feel your struggle, as I know from my friends at private school how much more help they get with admissions and entrance test prep. Obviously it's not Oxford's fault, but it still makes me mad when you realiser how much of a disadvantage we're at. Sorry to leave it on a down note, I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same way? And if anyone reading goes to a private school, feel free to chat about your experience with Oxford prep, as it obviously differs from school to school.
Hannah

I feel the same way honestly, feels like I'm fighting a losing battle knowing the likes of the candidates I'm up against. But if I crash and burn on Thursday then life goes on aye!

I've been not doing great on just about every paper lately, and haven't even made it to 2016 yet so it's not looking too promising. Ah well!
from personal experience, the 2016 paper will just upset you, so make sure you're emotionally and mentally prepared!
Original post by Hannzzaaa
from personal experience, the 2016 paper will just upset you, so make sure you're emotionally and mentally prepared!

Hm I was planning on doing that on Wednesday. I might swap my order and do it on Tuesday then 2015 on Wednesday to save the great despair (even though the night before any exam is always terrible whatever paper I pick to do!)
Hopefully it'll be like a play and you'll have an awful dress rehearsal and incredible performance on the day, but i would definitely do the 2015 paper the night before as it's relatively pleasant. (I'm stressing the "relatively" there as it's still hard, just in a more enjoyably challenging way than the 2016 paper!)
29/10/17 Update - Last Day of Half Term :bricks::

A quick one today as I have been super duper unproductive. I stayed up until 4AM, woke up late, got dragged out of the house 3 times. Just one of those days yanno?:facepalm:

All I really did today was a MAT paper. Felt like it took me forever as I was moving around here there and everywhere and therefore not timing myself. Just doing the odd multiple choice question whenever I got the chance then cracking down with the lengthy questions tonight (with the odd TSR distraction.. oops? :u:)

I only just finished marking it and I got 55/100 which doesn't sound amazing but the average shortlisted applicant score on this paper was 54.2 so things are really on the rise. Here's to hoping I stay on this uphill track until Thursday!

I had also planned to do a lot of Computer Science coursework today but so much for that! Looks like I won't hit this section deadline but maybe having an exam that no one else in the class has is a good enough excuse? Or I can at least hope! :giggle:

Back to college tomorrow! But now, a well needed hot chocolate is in order :coffee: (we'll pretend this smiley is hot chocolate and not coffee!)
-Emily x

Tags:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
29/10/17 Update - Last Day of Half Term :bricks::

A quick one today as I have been super duper unproductive. I stayed up until 4AM, woke up late, got dragged out of the house 3 times. Just one of those days yanno?:facepalm:

All I really did today was a MAT paper. Felt like it took me forever as I was moving around here there and everywhere and therefore not timing myself. Just doing the odd multiple choice question whenever I got the chance then cracking down with the lengthy questions tonight (with the odd TSR distraction.. oops? :u:)

I only just finished marking it and I got 55/100 which doesn't sound amazing but the average shortlisted applicant score on this paper was 54.2 so things are really on the rise. Here's to hoping I stay on this uphill track until Thursday!

I had also planned to do a lot of Computer Science coursework today but so much for that! Looks like I won't hit this section deadline but maybe having an exam that no one else in the class has is a good enough excuse? Or I can at least hope! :giggle:

Back to college tomorrow! But now, a well needed hot chocolate is in order :coffee: (we'll pretend this smiley is hot chocolate and not coffee!)
-Emily x

Tags:

Spoiler

omg I love this blog :daydreaming:
Keep me posted!
And congrats! Go get u that hot chocolate, u earnt it sista :yy:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
omg I love this blog :daydreaming:
Keep me posted!
And congrats! Go get u that hot chocolate, u earnt it sista :yy:

Thank you lovely! :lovehug:
Thank you lovely! :lovehug:

:heart:
I can already predict that this blog is going to do really well this year.:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
I can already predict that this blog is going to do really well this year.:smile:

Why thank you! I'm still new to it :grin:
Why thank you! I'm still new to it :grin:
I've seen a lot of these the last couple of years. This one excites me.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending