The Student Room Group

First time buyers in 2020 London will need to earn £106000 to buy a house

Scroll to see replies

Looks like you engineers and computer scientists should be alright.
most engineers only get around 60k
Original post by joyoustele
most engineers only get around 60k

Don’t tell that to the ones expecting a 6 digit graduate salary
Reply 4
Wow, that is very high. I guess if you have a partner then its 50k each but that's still a lot.
Sounds like ******** to me! I reckon London house prices will (continue to) fall in the short term, due to Brexit-related matters.
Reply 6
They already cost a bomb
Reply 7
Yeah Latham&Watkins or live in Bolton, your choice haha
London is in decline, Manchester has huge potential.
Reply 9
Original post by ckfeister
London is in decline, Manchester has huge potential.

Huge potential sure but not the potential to become London
Original post by Trapz99
Huge potential sure but not the potential to become London

It'll be the North alternative to London. I also wouldn't rule that out in 10-15 years things might take a turn.
Reply 11
It'll be the North alternative to London. I also wouldn't rule that out in 10-15 years things might take a turn.

It highly doubt it. There's a lot more investment into London. Pretty much every major corporation has their headquarters here. It continues to attract talent from across the UK and the world in a way that Manchester doesn't. The chance of Manchester becoming a global city on the scale of today's London is minuscule. Perhaps Paris or Frankfurt have a chance, Manchester no way.

There's no way that a city with no global significance apart from their football teams and with a 1/4 of the population of London, with far worse infrastructure and transport, is ever going to be a real challenger to London in terms of attracting workers to go live there.
Original post by Trapz99
It highly doubt it. There's a lot more investment into London. Pretty much every major corporation has their headquarters here. It continues to attract talent from across the UK and the world in a way that Manchester doesn't. The chance of Manchester becoming a global city on the scale of today's London is minuscule. Perhaps Paris or Frankfurt have a chance, Manchester no way.

But what happens when new graduates begin to have negative viewpoints of London? I'm also talking about UK wealth not Europe's financial centre.
Reply 14
Salaries aren't moving though
Original post by Ladbants
There's no way that a city with no global significance apart from their football teams and with a 1/4 of the population of London, with far worse infrastructure and transport, is ever going to be a real challenger to London in terms of attracting workers to go live there.

What is the:

Rent
House prices
Crime
Schools
Food prices
Salaries

Like?

A £30 000 salary in London is almost bare minimum for a flat share. £22 000 in Manchester would be able to get you go buy a flat.
1929 all over again
Reply 17
What is the:

Rent
House prices
Crime
Schools
Food prices
Salaries

Like?

A £30 000 salary in London is almost bare minimum for a flat share. £22 000 in Manchester would be able to get you go buy a flat.

Says a lot about Manchester doesn't it.
Original post by Yaboi
Says a lot about Manchester doesn't it.

Maybe I'm being too mature in thinking about cities then.
Reply 19
Maybe I'm being too mature in thinking about cities then.

Indeed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending