The Student Room Group

Urgent:henna reaction!!

It was my aunts wedding 5 months ago so i put black henna on my arm but after a few hours it started to itch really bad and blisters started to appear i was really confused why but then i realized the same started happening to my cousin and she told my it was an allergic reaction i went to the doctors and they didnt even prescribe me with anything and started scaring me to death saying its permanent and ill be scarred for life at this moment i was pancaking and started to cry at one point but anyways i was just wondering if there is any cream that would make the henna disappear because i have had it quite a while.I waited it out assuming it would go of naturally but the processes is taking really long.
Many thanks x
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don’t worry! This happened to me years ago, it took ages but it did go down. The bad news is you will now be allergic to all hair dye for life :frown:

Black henna is bad because it contains toxic levels of PPD (the ingredient that binds due to your hair protein) which often can cause an allergic reaction and make you allergic to PPD at all levels.

I would go and get yourself some antihistamine tablets and cream, you can ask for this at the pharmacist.

After this happened to me I dyed my hair black without knowing and honestly my head swelled to about twice the size and took a week to go back to normal. I have also had tests of hair dye which have dissolved my skin straight away- it’s a nasty allergy!
Also bear in mind it isn’t the henna you were allergic to, it was the black dye within it. Any normal henna should be fine x
Reply 3
Original post by del1rious
Don’t worry! This happened to me years ago, it took ages but it did go down. The bad news is you will now be allergic to all hair dye for life :frown:

Black henna is bad because it contains toxic levels of PPD (the ingredient that binds due to your hair protein) which often can cause an allergic reaction and make you allergic to PPD at all levels.

I would go and get yourself some antihistamine tablets and cream, you can ask for this at the pharmacist.

After this happened to me I dyed my hair black without knowing and honestly my head swelled to about twice the size and took a week to go back to normal. I have also had tests of hair dye which have dissolved my skin straight away- it’s a nasty allergy!

oh thanks im not scarred for life i actually got so shook, which cream would you recommend i buy??
Just go to a pharmacists and ask them for any antihistamine cream, ask for some antihistamine tablets as well and it should help it go down fairly quickly.
Reply 5
Original post by del1rious
Just go to a pharmacists and ask them for any antihistamine cream, ask for some antihistamine tablets as well and it should help it go down fairly quickly.

How long will it roughly take to go down?
Reply 6
My henna reaction happend to me a while ago will these products still work on me??
Reply 7
It was my aunts wedding yesterday so i put black henna on my arm but after a few hours it started to itch really bad and blisters started to appear i was really confused why but then i realized the same started happening to my cousin and she told my it was an allergic reaction i went to the doctors and they didnt even prescribe me with anything and started scaring me to death saying its permanent and ill be scarred for life at this moment i was pancaking and started to cry at one point but anyways i was just wondering if there is any cream that would make the henna dissappear.
Many thanks x
Reply 8
It has almost been a year later after my henna reaction and it still hasn't gone just a couple of scars left on my arm however my cousin that got her henna done after me and had a reaction like me and now her arm is gone back to normal the doctors didn't prescribe me with anything but i was wondering if their is any cream to fasten the treatment or do i have to wait it out.
please let me know if their are any cream down below and where i could purchase them?
Bio - oil is good for scars, stretch marks, discolouration etc. It isnt the cheapest (not the most expensive either) but it last it really long time. It also won’t be instant it will progressively help (give it a couple of weeks/months and it will be working at its optimum). Hope this helps. 😁
Reply 10
It has almost been a year later after my henna reaction and it still hasn't gone just a couple of scars left on my arm however my cousin that got her henna done after me and had a reaction like me and now her arm is gone back to normal the doctors didn't prescribe me with anything but i was wondering if their is any cream to fasten the treatment or do i have to wait it out.
please let me know if their are any cream down below and where i could purchase them?
Reply 11
can someone please help me i dont know if the antihistamine cream would work on my henna because it happened to me a couple of months ago the black henna is still on my arm but no blisters or itching as it stopped i really want the black henna to be gone so would the antihistamine cream work on me?? please someone help mee
(edited 6 years ago)
The timings of your story are confusing me a bit. Did you put the henna on your arm for your aunt's wedding?
Reply 13
Original post by DrawTheLine
The timings of your story are confusing me a bit. Did you put the henna on your arm for your aunt's wedding?

yeh but my aunts wedding was 5 months ago and my black henna scars is still on my arm i waited this long because i assumed it would go off by itself naturally but its taking really long and i dont want to have it any longer because its really ugly.Is there any cream that i could buy that would remove it because i dont know if the antihistamine cream would work or do i have to wait it out?
Original post by k0zaf
It was my aunts wedding yesterday so i put black henna on my arm but after a few hours it started to itch really bad and blisters started to appear i was really confused why but then i realized the same started happening to my cousin and she told my it was an allergic reaction i went to the doctors and they didnt even prescribe me with anything and started scaring me to death saying its permanent and ill be scarred for life at this moment i was pancaking and started to cry at one point but anyways i was just wondering if there is any cream that would make the henna dissappear.
Many thanks x

See why I'm confused?
Reply 15
See why I'm confused?

yeh thats was when before i got it done,Can you please help me???
Original post by k0zaf
yeh thats was when before i got it done,Can you please help me???

No I can't help while I'm still confused. You said your aunt's wedding was yesterday (which at the time of your post was now 2 days ago, so Friday) and so you put black henna on your arm. Yet you reacted to it and managed to get to the doctor over a weekend yet they couldn't help you, now you're saying you've had the marks for 5 months as that was when your aunt's wedding was.
Reply 17
No I can't help while I'm still confused. You said your aunt's wedding was yesterday (which at the time of your post was now 2 days ago, so Friday) and so you put black henna on your arm. Yet you reacted to it and managed to get to the doctor over a weekend yet they couldn't help you, now you're saying you've had the marks for 5 months as that was when your aunt's wedding was.

oh when i meant yesterday i meant 5 months(sorry my mistake) please can you help me now?please please
Original post by k0zaf
oh when i meant yesterday i meant 5 months(sorry my mistake) please can you help me now?please please

Try the creams and the tablets. You won't know if they work until you try. If they don't work, then go back to your doctor.
Reply 19
Try the creams and the tablets. You won't know if they work until you try. If they don't work, then go back to your doctor.

my doctor scared me to death saying its permanent and i am going to have to live with it for the rest of my life but i know it aint true however the thing is i dont know what cream to buy any recommendations:

Quick Reply