The Student Room Group

Where did i go wrong?

Hi guys can u have a look at my working for question 81 and let me know where i went wrong.

I made the assumption that the minimum angle would be such that the vertical component of velocity would equal zero at a height of 3m.

Apparently the answer is A but i got D.

64ECD23F-796A-48ED-9DED-8286FAEFA2CD.jpg.jpegCAAA083C-6715-43BC-AAE3-E8D9D9EFC77A.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Shaanv
Hi guys can u have a look at my working for question 81 and let me know where i went wrong.

I made the assumption that the minimum angle would be such that the vertical component of velocity would equal zero at a height of 3m.

64ECD23F-796A-48ED-9DED-8286FAEFA2CD.jpg.jpegCAAA083C-6715-43BC-AAE3-E8D9D9EFC77A.jpg.jpeg

I’m not sure what you did, but I just used trig.
Tanx=O/A
Arctan(O/A) = X
Arctan (6/3) = X
Arctan(2) = X
Original post by Shaanv

You worked out the angle for the minimum velocity.

If the ball, in the limit, went infinitely fast, it would travel in a straight line to the top of the wall. And that would be when the angle is a minimum.
Reply 3
Original post by Daniel100499
I’m not sure what you did, but I just used trig.
Tanx=O/A
Arctan(O/A) = X
Arctan (6/3) = X
Arctan(2) = X

652B82B9-D15D-427C-82BD-76B3FC6B1C9F.jpg.jpeg What did i miss?
Original post by Shaanv
652B82B9-D15D-427C-82BD-76B3FC6B1C9F.jpg.jpeg What did i miss?

It’s a triangle, the adjacent side is 6 units long, the opposite side is 3 units long.
I think you over complicated a simple question
Reply 5
It’s a triangle, the adjacent side is 6 units long, the opposite side is 3 units long.
I think you over complicated a simple question

But tan(x)=opposite/adjacent. In ur original post it appears that u used tan(x)=adjacent/opposite. Unless u used the other angle in the traingle. If so why did u use that angle as opposed to the one i have marked as theta on my diagram?

Sorry for all the questions this is something simple but for some reason its just not clicking.

Guess its the sunday feeling.
Reply 6
909AC05A-E35E-4926-9E49-2D782C6BB2C6.jpg.jpeg this is the working out from the back of the book but as far as i can tell there is a mistake, due to this i calculate the answer as 45 degrees. Do u agree?
Original post by Shaanv
But tan(x)=opposite/adjacent. In ur original post it appears that u used tan(x)=adjacent/opposite. Unless u used the other angle in the traingle. If so why did u use that angle as opposed to the one i have marked as theta on my diagram?

Sorry for all the questions this is something simple but for some reason its just not clicking.

Guess its the sunday feeling.

Hmmmm yes sorry I made a mistake it should just be arctan (3/6)
I even just put it into a triangle calculator online and it gave me an angle of arctan(1/2) so I don’t know why the answer is supposed to be A
Reply 8
Hmmmm yes sorry I made a mistake it should just be arctan (3/6)
I even just put it into a triangle calculator online and it gave me an angle of arctan(1/2) so I don’t know why the answer is supposed to be A

Original post by ghostwalker
You worked out the angle for the minimum velocity.

If the ball, in the limit, went infinitely fast, it would travel in a straight line to the top of the wall. And that would be when the angle is a minimum.

Is there working right. I think theres a mistake which propagates through to give an answer of 45 degrees
Original post by Shaanv
Is there working right. I think theres a mistake which propagates through to give an answer of 45 degrees

Ohhh I see what you mean now, sorry it’s been 2 years since I did physics. The working in the book does seem wrong as you shouldn’t get 1/6 if you rearrange the equation you should get 1/12 which if you slot that back in you end up with arctan(1) which is 45 so yes I think the book is wrong
Original post by Shaanv

From the wording of the first sentence in the question, I get the impression it's been changed prior to publication. I go with arctan(1/2) as the minimum angle - though it's not actually achievable.

Question is a bit of a mess - I'd ignore it and move on.
Reply 11
Original post by ghostwalker
From the wording of the first sentence in the question, I get the impression it's been changed prior to publication. I go with arctan(1/2) as the minimum angle - though it's not actually achievable.

Question is a bit of a mess - I'd ignore it and move on.

Will do thanks a bunch
Reply 12
Thanks for this thread. I did it the same way as the OP and got D (hypo.) but I haven't learnt Trig yet.

Quick Reply

Latest