The Student Room Group

Copper IUD - Recommend it?

I've been on the pill for two years now but after numerous times forgetting to take it and the hormones ******* with my head, I've decided I need a better, non-hormonal method of contraception!
I'm really unsure about the implant because of how many people I know that have and hate it, plus it's hormonal. But I've been looking at the copper IUD, and wanted some real people stories rather than the NHS page
Does anyone have any advice surrounding it? or willing to share their experience of having it put in? I'm so scared!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've been on the pill for two years now but after numerous times forgetting to take it and the hormones ******* with my head, I've decided I need a better, non-hormonal method of contraception!
I'm really unsure about the implant because of how many people I know that have and hate it, plus it's hormonal. But I've been looking at the copper IUD, and wanted some real people stories rather than the NHS page
Does anyone have any advice surrounding it? or willing to share their experience of having it put in? I'm so scared!!!!

I had one put in 5 years ago, and then had it replaced a few months ago. For me, it's been great. The insertion isn't too painful if you take paracetamol or ibuprofen beforehand, but both times now I've found I've had cramps (like period cramps) for the rest of the day. So it's probably best to have it fitted on a day where you're not busy with important things.

You need to go back and have it checked about 4-8 weeks after having it fitted. You'll also occasionally need to check the strings (which they'll explain to you).
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
I had one put in 5 years ago, and then had it replaced a few months ago. For me, it's been great. The insertion isn't too painful if you take paracetamol or ibuprofen beforehand, but both times now I've found I've had cramps (like period cramps) for the rest of the day. So it's probably best to have it fitted on a day where you're not busy with important things.

You need to go back and have it checked about 4-8 weeks after having it fitted. You'll also occasionally need to check the strings (which they'll explain to you).

Thank you so much! Literally just wanted to hear it from someone who isn't a doctor haha, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest